Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
& in other news....

Always looking to see whether there are undocumented features. Well the Navigation Plus doesn't blow a raspberry if you select a DTS track on a DVD which has one. It plays the sound. It could be a mute point as to which sound it's playing but I have a sneaking suspicion it's playing DTS even thou the manual doesn't list it. It does play Dolby 5.1. The .1 goes to your rear speaker, well it does on VW systems with the same speaker setup so expect the same. One of the channels if your centre speaker, that's the 5. I guess the other four are the sides and back. Hence why I think they screwed up the centre speaker sound balance but may be this is only on the Navigation Plus rather than the regular unit with the Seat sound system.

I tried an out of the region disk. It does say in the manual it won't like that. No it didn't, it said I had 5 plays. I think that means if I choose to play it after five times it would switch to that region like PCs do and you wouldn't be able to play any European DVDs, I pushed eject since I didn't fancy the unit being configured to Asia.

It's a bit weird playing DVDs in the car. I can see if you are stuck somewhere you might or didn't have a lounge. Call me old fashioned. No I didn't move the car, it's suppose to stop.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
:geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek: :geek:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'm calling Tell a geek because that post was as if an alien had landed and started talking to me :mrgreen:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Oh! So you don't know what a DTS track is either? I picked up a copy of the Mail on Sunday some years ago at a petrol station on the way to Longleat safari park because it had a free Mcfly CD in it. I had that Vauxhall Zafira for 3yrs and never took the cd out of the player. When I got my Shitroen I put the Mcfly cd in that cars player, and that's where it still is I guess because the damn thing would never eject! The kids are so happy now. Me too. I love Absolute 80' even more than Mcfly!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DTS is the ultimate sound system for DVDs and theatre sound (well it was). Bit storage hungry. The rear, left and right channels can be steered. With Blu-Ray they don't bother with compression so you get the sound track in all its glory.

You will be watching Strictly in dolby 5.1 which is the DTS the competitor system, where you have surround system at home, that's how the beeb manage to muffle drama sound incorrectly when they don't mix it correctly. They are supposed to be Dolby trained engineers since you can't slap dolby on things if you aren't dolby trained. On your home system you get a little light come on when Dolby is in use or DTS. That "LF" light (low frequency), that's your .1 and that is what your speaker is in the boot Saggy, your sub woofer. So to power all that up correctly rather than in a pseudo way in a car you can only do it by playing videos :). Ideally music videos. The rest is just carving up the frequencies and channels between the speakers. Think this is where they have the centre speaker issue with the Seat sound system not matrixing the sound correctly without a bit of tinkering with equaliser.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS_(sound_system)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital

There was one person who popped up here or on the other board that wanted to watch video on their standard system. The screen is the same... unit well... but you can't, there is extra storage and enhanced software in the navigation plus. I think only if you had a bit of a nefarious lifestyle of turning your vehicle into a passion wagon would you wish to watch video in your car, I'm an audio man myself.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Haven't even had a DVD player in my house for over ten years.
My house is full of networked hard drives, media players, smart teles, and firesticks..

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine is as well :). I should have said that the unit plays video files as well which can be encoded in the file standards held on SD / USB, although there is a catch it doesn't play full HD. You might as well have your smartphone or tablet out on your lap. Maybe delivery drivers on a break may watch their boxsets or people without a home in coupledom.

Looking again at the frequency response of the Seat Sound System speakers as shown in the technical manual reveals that the centre speaker is really a base speaker and shouldn't have much treble coming from it. I thought there was a lot of base upfront after I had done my fix. Here again the screw up in the setup I'm not sure whether this due to the Navigation Plus output or a general issue when you have the Seat Sound System. Easy enough to drop the 1kHz on the equaliser to fix it.

SPEAKERS

The speaker configuration varies depending on the
audio system and the target market.
Up to 4 speaker configurations are offered, with 4, 6, 8
or 10 speakers. The most comprehensive configuration
corresponds to the SEAT Sound System (10 speakers)
for the Navi System or Navi System Plus infotainment
systems.

The SEAT Sound System has the following
characteristics:

CENTRAL SPEAKER
Diameter: 97 mm.
Impedance: 4 ohms.
Frequency range: 150 kHz.
Attachment: 2 screws.
Connector: 2-pole.

WOOFERS IN FRONT AND REAR DOORS
Diameter: 152 mm.
Impedance: 4 ohms.
Frequency range: 60 Hz-3 kHz.
Attachment: 4 rivets.

TWEETERS IN FRONT AND REAR DOORS
Diameter: 38 mm.
Impedance: 8 ohms.
Frequency range: (5-20) kHz.
Attachment: heat-welded at 3 points.

BOOT SUBWOOFER
Volume: 10 L.
Impedance: 2 ohms.
Frequency range: 45-300 Hz.
Attachment: plate on spare wheel.
Connector: 2-pole

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.