Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I collected my Ateca 1.6tdi SE Tech (company car) from the dealer in Belfast last Monday and was told by the dealer that the cars "don't come with the navigation sd card and that these are delivered to your home address", which I found strange but went along with. Now, having read a few posts on here, I'm beginning to smell a rat.
Further concern regards the posts I've read about cards requiring programming by the dealer, and whilst the car was collected in Belfast, I actually live in Yorkshire. :shock:
Is it likely they know there are issues with the nav system and are holding back issuing the ad cards....?
Anyone any ideas?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
That will be software to install rather than the card itself. That's what I've suggested on the other post where they haven't been able to install it although you would expect it to come with the car unless it's had a wander. As I mentioned before the German board has people talking about the car with no SD at delivery.

Still I'll keep writing up my notes of how to get the POIs in and destinations:). Navigation Plus it's on the SSD. I think First Edition guys were OK.

I would take it up with Seat Customer Services they are good at sorting out dealer / delivery matters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spoke to the dealer this afternoon. They have 5 sd cards on order which should be with them tomorrow, then mine forwarded to me by early next week. I questioned some of the issues raised on this forum but they said there wasn't a software issue, only that some early cars were not delivered with factory fitted nav systems when they should've been.
I also aked about sd cards requiring registering with the vehicle and he said that wasn't the case.
We'll wait and see what next week brings......

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I recall Ruth had issues with the dealer managing to register it as I recall. A few have but the dealers probably don't know their way around the system to do it or as suggested they haven't got the software to do it. Leon owners upgrade / install new SD maps which they buy off ebay others don't have success. Dark art.

It could be if you have never installed maps on it, it takes it otherwise it doesn't. There is a hidden code on an extended part of the file structure, they are non standard SD cards, it marries that up with the unit once installed, if you then try to change the card you can't without the dealer going into their programming box. Those people in Europe who bought Mapcare are free to do this. So that's how they control access to the map files. May be this is why some people have problems since the map have been installed and then the unit has the card and package removed.... That's what Leon owners have found.

Interested to hear how everyone gets their SD Map cards working who didn't get them with the car via DIY or the dealer working their magic.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
so standard nav ~ should it have a card too??

I've never had one in any skoda or golf that i'm aware of and they all worked fine and got updated when the cars were serviced

and a simple answer please ~ not a waffling bull detail

just a yes or no will do me so I know if I should be looing for one or not :geek:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes, you should have a SD card. I have the standard sat navigation and the card was already fitted into one of the SD card slots when I collected the car. The navigation seems to be working OK for me.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Goodbye Golf said:
Yes, you should have a SD card. I have the standard sat navigation and the card was already fitted into one of the SD card slots when I collected the car. The navigation seems to be working OK for me.
thank you

I understood that answer and will check when I collect mine :)

I wonder if there has been one already in other cars lol :?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yup - you should have an SD card delivered & installed in the car. Ours was delivered late October and the card was in place; sat nav works just fine. Car (fleet car) prepped by Paragon Automotive for Huddersfield SEAT. Friend got his three weeks earlier from Arnold Clark & was delivered from factory without the card; seems was common on earlier deliveries. Card was ordered, delivered in a week & just slotted straight in; no problems at all. :D

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Personally I think they are getting nicked between the factory and the delivery to the customer unless there is a production issue. The ebay merchants are getting them from somewhere or light handed people in dealerships help themselves and are attempting to upgrade their Leons. Just a theory.

VW have two models of the unit, the Discover and the Discovery Pro, they go under different names with Skoda and Seat. It's possible Saggy that you had a fancy one previously with the SSD built in (Plus for the Seat) if not you just cast your eye over and there is a card in SD slot 1 if it's the standard unit. The Seat Navigation Plus looks identical to the standard system except it's got the maps built in on SSD although Seat calls it hard disk it isn't and does more clever stuff faster, and has two free SD slots. You would have been forced to payout another £800 or so in the UK and any financial plans will reflect this.

Easy enough to check you press the navigation button and the map will pop up, no map and your navigation isn't working. What the dealer did with me, which they are probably trained to do when they are sitting in the car before they send you off, is to go through the setup menu of the infotainment screen. Register your phone to the system (bluetooth), USB etc, put your home address in, tune in the radio and setup the time. So if you can't get your home address in, can't see the map when you press navigation, you don't have navigation installed.

Think it was Ruth and one other that were having problems with the installation, that may be when a card had been introduced to the system, pulled out, switched or nicked, then when a new card is put in, it has to be registered correctly by the dealer with their computer plug in tool. They are like viewing cards which are tethered to the box.

The setup wizard is shown below completing A-D below, unless some one has already done this.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I see you would like Japanese manuals that tell you nothing :).

Correcting the issue of one poster that didn't know the SSD version existed. I would make the dealer work and take you through the infotainment setup wizard.

My dealer had a wobble since I presented him with an SD card, is this yours since there is no map SD card in it. So he knew that but had said nothing till that point. Call me untrusting. The same way they sold me the car, completed the paper work, I paid the money over but the wireless charger mat wasn't built into the car. I'm sure they knew, I wasnt looking for it when I inspected the car.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
no Tell, I like information :)
I'm a General Manager so find relevant information very useful in my day to day life ....... I just find too much waffle around topics and the salient points get missed as people switch off and stop reading ........... or maybe that's just me? I suspect not though :mrgreen:

Each post I read of yours I think more and more that I am blessed with my local dealer. So far I have had no reason to even suspect they are hiding information or will try to pull the wool over my eyes or that they will try to do so in the future ....... I hope they never prove me wrong. Perhaps I just go through life trying to put a positive spin on every thing and believe the best of people and not the worst :)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Problem with Seat dealers some are good others are rubbish. Don't know how different this is from other manufacturers. The rubbish one is my closest but I only had them for two years prior to that the previous Seat dealer for ten that was good. Current dealer isn't the rubbish one, but a local dealer that was good but pulled out locally. I'm hoping these will be as good as they use to be when I once used them. They were quite professional ten years ago.

I reckon it takes about two years before you work out whether you have a good or bad one. Seat customer services were quite interested in my experience with the rubbish one. Should have told them at the time. Problem is they have you over a barrel if you don't want long journeys to get the car serviced and repaired. Now I'll be on a 20 miles treck, camping there for a day on long services etc.

Glad you know that your car comes in two flavours of satnav plus your Skoda :). One that needs the card and one that doesn't. Did I labour the point.... Seat Navigation Plus doesn't need the card. You currently got a Skoda, think so, look for a map SD card in the slot, no SD card then you have the RR system.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Now that's a good question. Doing the update to new maps I think you can hold on, well I will try to hold on for about 3 years then I may try to do it myself or pay the dealer to do it, then temptation might get the better of me. I was reading a VW Discover Pro thread where someone in the UK did it, it did take a while and they knew exactly which download to use. Different years and different areas have different downloads so the guidance was given on that as to what to do for other people in different regions. I'm hoping than someone else will crack it for this car rather rather then me. Navigation Plus cost enough money so the least they could do would be to offer free downloads. In some of the reading POI updates seem to be available separate from the maps. The Scottish VW guy did do the update to the maps and it did preserve their destinations.

On the other UK Seat site you will find a very long thread where people with their Leon's have tried to update their system. Last time I looked nobody had done it for the Navigation Plus. Not a great deal of success on the normal SD card based system. The mapcare ones don't work since if you haven't got mapcare then it won't. It was only the ebay ones that some people got to work as complete new installations, but then other's didn't due to the teething of the cards to the satnav after forking out £35. If there is going to be a breakthrough on the Seat side it will be on the Leon side first I guess. Think it's watch and wait unless I have missed something.

The source of the download maps is here:

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_GB/-/USD/View-Promo;pgid=6hJScXXr.2NSR0Vq1t8sr4pB0000fd3IsfmO;sid=zi4fWcvqbUcfWZPFx5lbUcHgyb_uupxERJAYyDoJ?&Page=SEAT_Ateca_Landing&&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site&

When I first read it I thought ah, Navigation Plus it's DIY but you have to suck it and see when there are new maps then I guess a very long thread will develop. But unlike the other board there needs to be two threads for the two system to save confusion, the year mentioned. So we know it's a 4 hour operation for the Navigation Plus. If you have Mapcare then those instructions will work, question is if you haven't.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I don't get why all the drama over this

I don't understand what I'm missing? Is it because people are using lots of POI's or something and it's all that that is the issue, not the map update

either type sounds simple enough to me ?

http://www.seat.com/owners/your-seat/navigation.html for general overview

at the bottom is detail for the two different types and how to go about it

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Simple solution (recommended by my SEAT dealer) - when the maps need updating use Google maps or Apple maps via Full Link. :D :D

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Fred99 said:
Simple solution (recommended by my SEAT dealer) - when the maps need updating use Google maps or Apple maps via Full Link. :D :D
not great in my area where there are total blank spots with 3 or 4G :shock:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.