1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I think that's what they were working with Samsung on, slightly strange affiliation.

I haven't tried park assist yet but have been parking with all the sensors on, the camera map and the hot spots shown. Works well. Blind spot and cars approaching your bum to close at traffic lights flash up. The latter is surprising.

Lane assist is fun. Saturday the indicator turned green and I sort of thought the car was steering itself. Today, it turned green. Basically it stiffens up the feel of the steering as it takes control, more of a push on the wheel is required to change direction. I haven't had the nerve yet to let it cross a line and deviate.

Basically the car is very easy to drive and has the feel of a Seat. It's very quite running inside. Possibly those 19" wheels cause a few bums to enter the cabin. I got the 3 MPH excess safety margin on speed setup, it's reading the speed signposts, and I'm getting the speed camera warnings after uploading the database just fine. Auto wipers are swishing well and the auto headlights work well. Nice and bright on main beam.

Haven't tried traffic assist yet.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I'm very interested in park assist. I only have decent vision in one eye and judging distance close up is a real problem. I have front and rear sensors on my Leon with the onscreen display and that's pretty good, but I really avoid parallel parking so I will be very interested to see how you get on with it combined with the 360 camera. The blind spot radar will also be very useful.

As for handling, I found that the Ateca is 90% as good as my Leon and that is one of the best handling cars I have ever driven.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not sure about the connectivity that shares parking space info with other vehicles. Does that mean you could conceivably be racing all the other Seats in the vicinity to that space?! Sounds like some kind of Pokemon hunt but with augmented reality parking spaces!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Here maps was also working on something similar so it's the next step in automation. Car park owners pass their stuff on and passing cars pass street parking on.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Fred99 said:
I'm very interested in park assist. I only have decent vision in one eye and judging distance close up is a real problem. I have front and rear sensors on my Leon with the onscreen display and that's pretty good, but I really avoid parallel parking so I will be very interested to see how you get on with it combined with the 360 camera. The blind spot radar will also be very useful.

As for handling, I found that the Ateca is 90% as good as my Leon and that is one of the best handling cars I have ever driven.
As a side note I think I'll retain Lane assist for motorway driving, it spoils the fun of normal driving when it kicks in at points as it resists your positioning adjustment on bends or where you want to cut across turning right boxex- it does give way but you feel it steering the car when you want to steer it. Probably fine for straight roads as a safety features for tiredness. It was on a foggy country road on Saturday night when I liked it, may be a second pair of eyes in poor visibiity that it's good at as well. But normal driving can take away the fun. Will report back on park assist. Everywhere was chocker last night so no chance of trying it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is it possible to get lane assist added after you take delivery? It's something I'm now regretting I didn't opt for. Just another toy to play with :)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
You'll have to ask a dealer but possibly not I would suspect. It uses a viewing camera round the rear view mirror looking forward. I ticked all the boxes except the tow hook. Like the public sector I gave myself an end of year spending limit of £5,000 on accessories above the basic price of the model. I always estimated that I'd have £5,000 extra accessories on what ever the Ateca was priced at so that's what I did when the price list came out. As it happened I treated myself to all of the bits and bobs except the tow hook which I thought I wouldn't use.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
So have you got the remote heater?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
No that wasn't available in the UK... handy thou when I've been entering in the destinations if I had it. We have hit a warm spell so I'm making hay whilst the sunshines else I had been getting chilled to the bone sitting in the car. Going to be warm tomorrow so I'll finish off the process. It does turn out to be easy enough thou if you import destinations from another satnav as POIs, then you go to each POI on the map, store it and it then goes into the destinations file. I wonder if this is what Skoda people were doing ?. To be really smart but a bit torturers you load up fresh new POIs into your POI upload file, that way you can see them on the map as well (your favourite service stop on a road but you can't remember the name). That then gives you the functionality that is on most mapping systems, destinations shown list wise and on the map. Think I've mastered the VW mapping system now :).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not tested the lane assist out Tell?

I had a go on the (empty) motorway put the cruise control and Lane assist on and the car literally drives itself.... for a short period. After a while it comes up with a warning telling you to take over the steering and makes a bing. If you really test it and ignore the warning I think it assumes you are sleeping and quickly but sharply applies the brakes... I assume to wake you up. Quite scary though! Certainly woke me up! (Not that I was sleeping). You've been warned! Haha

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I haven't tried the cruise control out yet. As I muttered I liked the lane assist on a foggy country road but the day after in the clear I decided I would prefer to steer it myself, more fun. I didn't have the nerve on the narrow road to let it completely take over, it was cornering and it is a bendy road. So no I didn't test it to the point where it buzzes the steering wheel.

But yes the car is a pleasure to drive, very silent running.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.