Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

New Member - Hello

9K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Tell 
#1 ·
Hi All,

New member here, have been following the Ateca launch very closely. Looking forward to it.

So much so, got down to my dealership to see a European xcellence back in July, loved it, managed to put my name down on a 1st Edition.

Went for the 1.0 TSI, don't do the mileage to justify the TDI, just a bit concerned on the power, anyone have a variant of the engine in a VW group car they can report on?

I currently have a Leon FR, 1.4. Love it but I want more space so the Ateca was the perfect fit for me.

I've been told my car is on its way to the UK, moving very quickly towards a delivery now. happy with the spec of the 1st Edition, just hope it lives upto it.

Ian

#3 ·
Short Town really, although alot of short town, have done around 14k a year with my leon.

My concern with the diesel as well was I don't feel like I would do enough speed to keep the engine happy, isn't there like a minimum time and speed limit that cleans the catalyst filters? Or have diesel engines moved on a bit since?

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum!

I have ordered a first edition as well! Any idea more exactly on your delivery date? I went 1.0 orange. I am very keen to read a 1.0 review, I picked that for the same reasons as you by the sounds of it, lack of mileage. The spec is excellent for the money I feel. Apparently they still have diesels available but all the petrols are sold in first edition.

All other reviews on the 1.0 tsi say it's an excellent engine. I have read reviews of it in a polo, a golf and a Passat. My dealership has said it has been very popular, over and above the diesels. I think a lot of that may be price, or also possibly the recent VW diesel scandal.

#5 ·
Broaders1985 said:
Short Town really, although alot of short town, have done around 14k a year with my leon.

My concern with the diesel as well was I don't feel like I would do enough speed to keep the engine happy, isn't there like a minimum time and speed limit that cleans the catalyst filters? Or have diesel engines moved on a bit since?
The dealership in MK said no problem for commuting in MK. Like 5 miles of roundabout would be fine for the catalyst regeneration. If I was still doing my 1.5 mile drive to the tube and back again I would be worried. Telegraph Honest John says once regeneration starts don't switch the engine off. I think every 200 miles or so it goes through this process. I know someone who bought a Ford and had to get rid of it since it couldn't cope with their one mile drive to the station. Short answer is not a good idea to do many short drives in a TDI. My current car doesn't have a catalyst so it will all be new to me. I much prefer the way the power is delivered with a diesel putting aside environment concerns. Welcome.

#6 ·
We only do around 9k in our current car, mainly city, but my wife does a 5-6mile each way m/way run for work 3 days a week so that should be enough to keep it happy!
Thing is with our lease company the petrol and diesels were almost the same monthly cost, the petrol Ateca was only about £20pm less than diesel, and we'll easily save more than £20pm back in fuel by having a diesel, so went for the 1.6tdi!!

Recently had a new Fiat van from work, and I mainly do small city trips in that, only 30-40m a day stop start around the city.
Its got an auto DPF clean function where if the light comes on you have to run the clean function and leave the van parked up about 15-20mins and it auto revs up to about 3k and sorts it all out for you.
Its only on 3k and had to do it 3 times already!!!

Failure to run the clean function within 60miles of light coming on results in limp mode, and dealer visit!

#7 ·
Magpie86 said:
Welcome to the forum!

I have ordered a first edition as well! Any idea more exactly on your delivery date? I went 1.0 orange. I am very keen to read a 1.0 review, I picked that for the same reasons as you by the sounds of it, lack of mileage. The spec is excellent for the money I feel. Apparently they still have diesels available but all the petrols are sold in first edition.

All other reviews on the 1.0 tsi say it's an excellent engine. I have read reviews of it in a polo, a golf and a Passat. My dealership has said it has been very popular, over and above the diesels. I think a lot of that may be price, or also possibly the recent VW diesel scandal.
Hi,

Just yesterday have picked my reg plate number ready, 1st or 2nd week in September, not set in stone though. Apparently the dealerships show room car is also being delivered at the same time. They were both in the first batch of builds.

I'm technically going to be testing driving my own car :lol:

I agree price was great, paid more for my leon 3 years ago! although to be fair that came with a lot of kit also.

It seems my fears over the diesel were correct then. Glad I went for the petrol.

#8 ·
That would be 1,000 miles per DPF clean function if I've read that right. I think they do clean during normal driving but run rough but if they never get a chance to do that and you get the DPF light before you arrive somewhere you have to wait it out. It was the partners nephew who's commute of a mile a day and then train to London led to their limp home mode fiasco. They thought they had the ideal baby carrier / city commute vehicle to the station but didn't have the patience to manage the DPF.

I think I will also be slopping in AdBlue to my 2.0 190 TDI. The same engine fitted into the Tiguan uses AdBlue which the VW dealer explained to me. That goes into a pipe next to the diesel in the filler cap.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/diesel/adblue

& a Seat UK video

In that they say take it to Seat for a top up if the refill light comes on. The VW dealer said we give every new car owner a can of it and you can buy it at the local Shell garage. Again something new for me,

Fears over diesel... I've been monitoring my own use of my non catalyst diesel over the last few years so I develop the correct use in readyness. I never do short trips in it, I walk to the station / shopping or longer runs. When I wasn't retired I spent months doing 120 miles a day, then also months on the 1.5 mile commute and train as I followed the consultancy work. Clearly it would have been a pain and inconvenience at times. Drive to the tube for a seat whilst a walk to the station and much changing and standing in central London tubes. I wouldn't have got another diesel if I still had that lifestyle. I think this is the rub they aren't much good if you have a life of short journeys.

People also say the diesels don't pay for themselves if you don't do the mileage but that's discounting the drive-ability of diesels to start up easily, masses of torque etc so people equate the cost of running them and capital cost of petrol verses diesel but don't take into account the pleasure of how the engine performs. I'll buy an electric or hydrogen car when we have nuclear fusion which is probably where it's all going that's after we have embraced the Chinese :).

#9 ·
Broaders1985 said:
Magpie86 said:
Welcome to the forum!

Hi,

Just yesterday have picked my reg plate number ready, 1st or 2nd week in September, not set in stone though. Apparently the dealerships show room car is also being delivered at the same time. They were both in the first batch of builds.

I agree price was great, paid more for my leon 3 years ago! although to be fair that came with a lot of kit also.

It seems my fears over the diesel were correct then. Glad I went for the petrol.
Lucky to be picking your plates. That's since Seat must have ordered a job lot of the First Editions and had them built us that picked and choosed the spec are waiting. What we don't know is where we are in the queue.

#10 ·
Broaders1985 said:
Magpie86 said:
Welcome to the forum!

Hi,

My dealership seems to be in the dark on exact dates, but from the start they have said it would be late September early October. I expect they are partly presuming a 4-6 week lead time after build date. It is slightly annoying, although they have said the first edition is just a name for that spec level, it isn't necessarily the first ones off the boat! I was one of the first to put my name down but not the first to get the car. Not bothered too much as long as it doesn't slip any further.

My dealership ordered an SE 1.0 with toys as the test model so will be very similar to the first edition. Will be interesting!

#11 ·
They should be getting there allocation of four if I wasn't told porkies. It is a bit annoying that some people have been given dates. I'm just in the dark. The guidance I got was we let people know when they start building the car rather than the build date. The holiday closure was also mentioned today. That's been discussed here previously when they sometimes closes it for longer and upgrade the plant. Think that was Rob with information on that one.

So then I'm left thinking which is real and what is fantasy of dates that dealers give. The First Edition would be more specific since they will have a set number to build as mentioned. Orders taken of other spec you suspect may well be consolidated in MK before being passed over to the factory.

I wonder whether a line will be drawn across the First Edition model or whether they will still take orders on them after launch although it is in the brochure. Bit of a funny name to call it the "First Edition" where does that product go and when does it end. I think like Mad Man the advertising agency possibly needs to tell Seat that they have got it wrong on some of their marketing concepts. First Edition wonderfully covered up the fact that they had a limited range in the Xcellence compared to other European countries so gave away accessories on the First Edition to create a buzz whilst us that wanted to spec a car how we wanted it couldn't compared with other Seat markets. I suspect the First Edition is like Citroen's semi budget line which used to be called Dimension. I still think PCP's have got something to do with Seat reducing specs and choice. They find out what most luxuries people want and can afford, dangle them and then reduce the product range on the rest even thou it's all built to order give or take although the First Editions with less choice they will have ordered them in advance.

#12 ·
Tell said:
I wonder whether a line will be drawn across the First Edition model or whether they will still take orders on them after launch although it is in the brochure. Bit of a funny name to call it the "First Edition" where does that product go and when does it end. I think like Mad Man the advertising agency possibly needs to tell Seat that they have got it wrong on some of their marketing concepts. First Edition wonderfully covered up the fact that they had a limited range in the Xcellence compared to other European countries so gave away accessories on the First Edition to create a buzz whilst us that wanted to spec a car how we wanted it couldn't compared with other Seat markets. I suspect the First Edition is like Citroen's semi budget line which used to be called Dimension. I still think PCP's have got something to do with Seat reducing specs and choice. They find out what most luxuries people want and can afford, dangle them and then reduce the product range on the rest even thou it's all built to order give or take although the First Editions with less choice they will have ordered them in advance.
I am not sure even the SE tech that replaces the first edition fixes any of the negatives you have on the spec though Tell. Like you say, it's to create a buzz and get a few 100 on the roads on top of the people that buy one early doors. I suspect like I think you mentioned, the config differences is purely down to Seat thinking they know best for a UK market, however frustrating. Have to remember you ticked practically every option box on top of the standard Xcellence and I can't imagine that's the norm! Extra options kill pcp deals, you end up paying completely for the options and get very little extra value at the end of your 3/4 years, so the popularity of pcp may have something to do with it as you say.

They will probably draw a line come October for first edition would be my guess. Or even the launch date in September. Can't see it staying on the configurator for much longer.

I was lucky in that the first edition ticks every box for me compared to what I asked for on the crowd sourced questionnaire, even down to preferring the look of Matt black roof bars and less chrome on the exterior. I answered the questions with half an eye on cost not on my dream car, for example the top down camera is cool but not a necessity for me. Interestingly the SE tech looks more like an excellence than a first edition, particularly on the chrome and I think the visible exhaust, but elsewhere the SE tech has a fair bit missing compared to the First Edition. Them throwing in some extras that I wouldn't normally spec but would definitely want and it's a small gamble worth taking. It obviously has its limits on the engine choice. But with the price discount it is hard to say no for someone that was already looking at a 1.0 TSI or a 1.6 diesel, and willing to compromise on colour options. Especially if you wanted the car this year.

Btw you are right. I have been told my build week, but a certain amount of guess work still on the ship date. I presume because yours is so non standard it may slip due to that (pano etc). I wouldn't panic till after the official launch.

PS - wrote this at 2 in morning with my 3 year old sleeping after being very sick. Have we mentioned that leather is easier to wipe down! Not too late to change my order :lol:

#13 ·
I see we had red leather in the video posted up on sound proofing, it could have been brown, and the interior was colour coded to that, so the dash trim looked red. I can see the advantage of wipe down leather for you. Perhaps you need the VW car seat cover that appeared on the configurator but vanished again, but probably available from VW. It had pockets on the drop down front part where you kept the baby stuff. I will keep a watching eye on other cars that pass by on how they deal with leather. I saw one with a white throw on the drivers side.

On luxury it does annoy me that I have to have the luxury of leather to get a 4x4 DSG and only because Seat UK have limited the choice options in the Xcellence, then with that you get the enforced black interior. Obviously there is something wrong with the Xcellence "offer" if you don't like leather and don't like black. People also rile about the engine choice that Seat UK offer. Again I might have thought about a petrol DSG if one was available but no. Then Seat dangle the prospect of an Ateca Cupra to people who clearly can't afford one who say yes I want one. Probably the First Edition of that will be a big engine and one drivers seat and that's your lot for the PCP market:).

It will soon be the 9th September so hopefully I'll get to see the UK trim of the Xcellance so I will know what I've bought. Told I can go for a spin if I wish, if it isn't a DSG I won't bother but taking the partner who does stir the gears, the one who takes my car above 100MPH on autobahns when I sleep. If you see a fast moving Ateca in Essex it wont be me driving it. Oh yes on Sunday night away, but their is a Seat dealership 0.25 miles away from the hotel, my good one of ten years. Will be able to check out what models and colours they have in as well :). Xmas comes early.

You need the luxury of 360 degree cameras to protect the alloys. I ungainly lean across the passenger side to check the gap and wiggle the car without the seat belt on. Will just be able to press a button to check or auto park it. Think auto park may get confused with lamp posts, we'll see. You must get it in closer by hand. I can see auto park has advantages for parking spots that you never normally do.

#14 ·
If you go through the Ateca configurator it now let's you choose different interior dash trim colours and also a different gear knob. Pretty sure they weren't on there the other day.

#15 ·
Had a look, the Xcellence is still in nightclub of disrepute black. No sign of the pole and they don't throw in the lap dancer or the podium ones either....

There are other accessory screens, being serious now, I think, but they popped up several weeks ago, like mud flaps. Maybe the upholstery / trim they have widened on the non Xcellence. We just get seedy leather on the Xcellence.

#16 ·
I've just checked again on the Xcellence model configurator and I can still see the interior dash and gear knob extras you can get under accessories shown below -

Attachments

#17 ·
Ah didn't find that. Red is my favourite colour but think I'll stick with seedy night club black or whatever the default colour is they use in the Xcellence. They seem to be self fitting. Have to be a DSG knob. I'm sure the sticky bits would drop off if you caught them. Will give that one a miss but interesting they are bringing out a large range of custom accessories.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.