Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious as to what people make of the new laws regarding road tax/RFL/VED that come in 1st April and what it means when buying a new car.

I ordered my car before the change comes into effect and will most likely pick up my car after 1st April. The car I'm told is being made mid march but wont be delivered until end of April.
So, when does the vehicle actually get registered for tax purposes - when its made, when it enters the country or when license plate is assigned? I'm guessing its when a plate is assigned by the dealer.

Another question is regarding the first years RFL. The literature says the advertised "on the road" price includes the first years RFL between £0-1065 depending on the CO2. Currently my car is £0 (free) for the first year but after April 1st it will be £160.
Did the owners who have the bigger 2.0 TDI 190 get the current £130 paid by the dealer and will the dealer pay my £160 first year fee?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I've never bought a new car before so has never come up.
Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
A car is registered and assigned a registration plate. Then you advise of when you intend to put it on the road and the VED starts from that date. On the road price usually means inclusive of the VED, you don't get it for free as you're paying the price inclusive. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be trading in my old car so will need the new car to be taxed the day I pick it up.
I guess what I really want to know is - is the dealer going to ask me for another £160 before I can drive it away!

·
Registered
188 Posts
loffler said:
I will be trading in my old car so will need the new car to be taxed the day I pick it up.
I guess what I really want to know is - is the dealer going to ask me for another £160 before I can drive it away!
I would sincerely hope that when the order was placed, the OTR price you were quoted took into account the VED regime which would be in force at the expected date of delivery!

·
Registered
931 Posts
loffler said:
It'll be on your paperwork you signed when ordering the car. This is something you really should be asking your dealership, nobody on here knows what you've signed for.

In my experiece, no dealer has ever given me a price for a car without taking in to account any extra fee.

·
Registered
338 Posts
You've agreed contractually between both parties to a price to buy the car. Unless it's stated on your paperwork, the price will be inclusive of VED. Any decent dealer would never try and claim for VED after agreeing the price. Bad publicity would ensue and business would decline.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My order paperwork does indeed list the 12 months road fund license as included, but is down as £0.
Will have to wait and see what happens I suppose.

There is a note in the literature that says the VED table is only valid till March 31st, so they will have to update their PDF files soon.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Does you paperwork have an expected delivery date?

It should all be very simple. If you put your car on the road prior to 1st April, the cost is £0 as per the paperwork. If it's after April, you'll be charged an extra £160 (1st year).

Not sure what yeou mean by literature but If there is no mention of that £160 after 1st April on the order / purchase agreement you signed then you are perfectly OK to tell your dealer to stuff his car if they ask for it. I believe the likely reply will be - "We'll pay the £160 for you".

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to follow up on this for people in the same boat...
I decided not to mention my concern to the dealer to see if it even came up - it didn't. I didn't bring it up and the dealer said nothing.
I was sent my registration form to sign and it did show £160 was paid to register the vehicle, presumably by the dealer.
Picked up my Car on Friday and I only paid the amount agreed on my contract prior to the tax rise, so very happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts