Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Ernie and never owned a Seat. I've owned or driven many makes and types of car over the years but if we go from the Ateca that will be the first Seat.
My last couple of cars have been the same manufacturer, Skoda, and both Yeti's. The current car is a Yeti 2.0 L&K 4x4 DSG. If the Skoda Yeti 2 was going to be released the year rather than 2018 I'd probably waiting to see that. But, that said, the pictures, video and spec of the Ateca that I've seen look very good and this car is our most likely purchase.
As far as I can see it's being made in the same factory as my Yetis were and the new Yeti 2 will share essentially the guts under the skin of the Ateca. The build quality of both my Skoda's has been excellent and in over 6 years and 80K of motoring I've no problems or complaints.
Cheers
:D
Ernie

·
Administrator
222 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ernie,
I think if you're used to the Yeti you probably won't go far wrong with the Ateca. I understand the next Yeti will morph into something different although no one really knows what yet! It will be difficult because the original ones were so unique and have an almost cult following, any changes and they risk losing that userbase.

Skoda also have their new SUV out later this year but I understand that is likely to be a 7 seater and much bigger than the Ateca so that's probably not suitable for you.

Are you looking to test drive first or looking to change later in the year?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
#Rob,

I've been following the Yeti 2, Kodiak saga for awhile on the Briskoda forum. The collected wisdom there is that the Kodiak which will be 4.7m in length will be released as a 7 seater in 2017 with a 5 seater to follow. The Yeti 2 due 2018 and based on the Ateca chassis. But Skoda are good at keeping this information to themselves and nobody really knows what will happen. Unfortunately Skoda UK often limit the range of engines etc. which does not seem to be the case for the Ateca release.
I would like to change the car sooner than later and it's tempting to order based on the spec and a feel that the parts are all from the same VW source. My head says do not buy a newly released car till they have sorted the bugs but the spec does look pretty appealing. We're test driving other cars but I do like the feel of the DSG gearbox etc.

Ernie

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having spent many months now reviewing our options, catalogues, dealer visits, and test drives we decided that the Seat Ateca was our best option. However, I've become increasingly concerned about placing a pre-order without a test drive and in particular a test drive of a car that is more or less the same specification as we wanted. (190 TDi, 4x4, DSG) The dealers we spoke to suggested that what would be initially available would be the 'First Edition' version of the cars. Quite understandable as this would most likely be a good value option for many and gets the brand onto the streets, with a delivery if I did a preorder to me of probably October/ November. So we looked at delaying an order till August/September depending on when a test car became available and who knows what the delivery would be? In addition I have a reluctance to be an early adopter as there are inevitably bugs that have to be sorted, rattles, squeaks, etc. I've been there in the past and yes they get sorted but it can be a pain. I do have confidence in where it's being built so this issue may not exist in reality.
So, what to do? Well as our current car was due its second variable service and first MOT, which I arranged at my Skoda dealer. I've bought two cars there over 6 years so I'm not a stranger and having picked up the car I was greeted by the Sales manager and in discussion chatted about our plans for a new car. Within 15 minutes we'd talked about a new Yeti, with a bundle of options and was offered a fantastic deal with significant savings against a PX on our car and a large dealer reduction on a new buy. We slept on it over night and signed up the next day.
Yes, the Yeti is an older design but one that we both feel very comfortable driving, in addition we have a good set of winter wheels etc. all that will be able to be used with no additional cost.
We are still very interested in the Ateca and have asked the two dealers we've visited to let us have a test drive when a suitable car is available. I will continue to log into the forum and hopefully contribute if I feel I've got something worthwhile to say. I hope everyone's proposed purchases go well and look forward to seeing some great photos and comments in the future.

For anyone interested the New Yeti spec is: L&K 150 4x4 DSG in jungle green, with KESSY, spare wheel, fatigue sensor, electric drivers seat, Smartlink, heated washers, rear parking camera, rear mud flaps.

·
Administrator
222 Posts
Well it sounds like you're happy with your new car so hope it goes well and thanks for your input so far. Please do keep checking back in - you never know you might be part-ex'ing it soon....

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Rob, we still very interested in the Ateca and have left things very open with the two dealers we contacted. I'm certainly going to be keeping up to speed with the forum which I'm sure will pick up speed once the sample products hit the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts