Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure like all of us on this forum, I can't wait to see the Ateca in the metal and have a test drive! My starting spec will be an SE, 2WD with the 1.4 TSI 150PS engine in either Rodium Grey or Lava Blue.
In 2014 I bought a Skoda Yeti SE 1.2TSI 105PS with the intention of chopping it in for a "New" Yeti in 2017. Skoda changed their plans and mine when the "2017 Yeti" became the "2018 Yeti"! It's clear they are now focusing on developing their Coupe SUV and the Kodiak for 2017/18.
But, it looks like Skoda have done me a favour big time! I've owned 2 VW's and 2 Skodas but this will be my first Seat and I'm really looking forward to it after what I've seen and read so far. So if everything works out I intend to change my car sooner than planned!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you want a similar spec to me, I'm thinking I may go for 1.0 petrol if it isn't completely gutless though. Apparently it pulls a bluemotion golf around quite nicely. Would prefer the 1.4 though. Definitely an SE trim though, possibly with keyless entry and the panoramic roof optioned on top. Currently have a panoramic roof on my fiat and it makes the car so bright and open, I'm not sure I want to give it up. Even at 1k extra! I'm thinking rodium grey as well, I am intrigued by the lava blue though. Interested to see the first edition launch and see how many of my boxes it ticks off, and if it saves me any money!

·
Administrator
222 Posts
Welcome to the forums Harppy, 1.4 sounds good on paper, not sure what the 1 litre will be like. We test drove a 1.6 petrol Qashqai which I find a bit gutless so could do with something a bit more powerful than that. Will be interesting to see what it's like.

·
Administrator
222 Posts
Magpie86 said:
Currently have a panoramic roof on my fiat and it makes the car so bright and open, I'm not sure I want to give it up. Even at 1k extra!
Pano roofs are fantastic and really do open the cabin up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome Rob and Magpie86.
Rob, the 1.6 Qashqai weighs 40% more than the 1.4 Ateca! The power to weight ratio of the 1.4 Ateca is 22% better than the Qashqai. I'm expecting the Ateca to be relatively spritely, maybe just south of 9 secs to 62 (?). Can't wait to drive one.
Magpie86, a test drive in a 1.2TSI 110PS Skoda Yeti should give you a rough idea of the 1.0 115PS Ateca's performance. They weigh almost exactly the same with similar power, but the power delivery will feel slightly different with the 3 cyl engine. My concern with that engine is more about life expectancy, high loads on smaller (and fewer) components.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have a 3cyl on my fiat 0.9 twin air 500L. It pulls along well enough around town, you just have to work it a bit. Also has a "unique" sound! I would probably prefer a more relaxing drive now, with less effort on the constant gear changes. Very much depends on the deals on offer and how high I can push the price up while staying in monthly budget.

Life expectancy doesn't bother me so much, I know the car will be back to the dealership within 3-4 years as my pcp runs down. Smaller engines do seem to be in vogue now. Presumably a good way of getting emissions down for the manufacturers. It certainly doesn't help with fuel savings in my experience, due to the turbo kicking in whenever you want to make any sort of progress.

Thanks for the tip on the yeti. Might have a go out of interest. Was looking at them as well but not so keen on the current shape.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I thought the Twinair was a parallel twin, hence the name?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sorry that's correct. That was meant to read 2cyl on my twinair. Even more gutless! I missed the boat to get a twinair in my original 500, so was always leaning towards the twinair when I got the 500L. Was a slight mistake. Think this is backed up by them no longer selling the 500L with the twinair.

The ecoboost engines from ford are the other small 3cyl I was thinking about. Apparently they are pretty decent as well. Regardless I am definitely leaning towards the more conventional 1.4 on the Ateca.

·
Administrator
222 Posts
harppy said:
Thanks for the welcome Rob and Magpie86.
Rob, the 1.6 Qashqai weighs 40% more than the 1.4 Ateca! The power to weight ratio of the 1.4 Ateca is 22% better than the Qashqai.
That's good to know. My usual route has a slight incline and was having to change down to 2nd in the Qashqai to get up it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it's good bye from me for a while I'm sorry to say. Head has over-ridden heart and I'm going to wait until 2017.
I had my reservations about buying an early production vehicle because of my experience with an early production Peugeot 307 I bought in 2001. Returned 17 times to the dealer under warranty! Now I know there is no connection but these things have a way of sticking in your mind.
I was concerned about things I'd heard and read about Seat build quality but then I found out the Ateca is being built in the same factory in Kvasiny where my Skoda Yeti was built and that has fantastic build quality. My Skoda dealer has given me faultless service over the years whereas Seat dealers have never done very well in the Driver Power surveys. I was determined to keep an open mind but when I went into my local Seat dealer to enquire about the Ateca I was told "we'll be the last to know Sir, if you've contacted Seat online you'll get the info long before we do"! So much for my open mind.
Reading some of the posts on here about potential customer's concerns about poor communication and possible delays has also brought back bad memories for me of ordering another VAG product that was very popular at the time. On the 8th August 2009 I ordered a VW Scirocco GT TDI on a 6 week delivery, and then I bought a 59 reg personal plate to go on it. I took delivery of the car on the 27th January 2010! Again, no connection but lets just call it a gut feeling.
So I wish you all good luck with your new Atecas and I hope I read nothing but positive reports about your ownership experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in a different position to some of you, I don't need to order a car now or get the first edition. I'm happy to wait a couple of months down the line. I'll be here though, excited to read about all your orders and what specification everyone is getting.

Harppy - stick around, I don't know a single person who likes their dealer, and that's from nearly every manufacturer going! They don't care, they're sales trying to get bonuses and nothing else, will be the same at BMW, Jag, Audi etc.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sorry to disagree with SBBJT there are good dealers out there. I've had a good dealer for my last two cars and would be happy to recommend them to anyone buying a Skoda. Both the sales and service teams are, IMHO, pretty good all round. Yes, they need to make a profit, what company does not, but overall I feel happy with them.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My dealership has multiple car manufacturers (i think 9) under one roof on one massive site. Fiat have messed me around getting my work discount options, I have been ready to buy since March. That is why I am here looking at Atecas! Their seeming unwillingness to push for the discount info and my business has definitely put me off them. They guy I deal with is a lovely chap but this being my possible third Fiat has definitely made him complacent, believing I am a definite sale with the generous discount offers on the table. Even staying within dealership but moving brand, the SEAT side have been much more helpful (as far as they have been able to anyway!). The dealer and people you speak with definitely plays a role for me. I have a feeling the whole situation between Fiat vs Seat may come down to how i am dealt with in June when i place my order!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well it really is goodbye this time! Lady Luck has played a blinder and I've had a Pension Pot WULS from a small annuity I took out when I left a job in 1979!
I always knew I had it but thought it would probably just pay enough for a City Break Holiday each year. But, turns out if the pot is below £18K you can opt for a winding up lump sum! I thaank youuuuu! :)
So I had an :idea: , launched the flotation device and ordered an Audi Q3 S Line 1.4 TFSI CoD :cool: .
I think the Ateca is a fantastic looking car and I'm still really looking forward to seeing them on the road but I won't be buying one now.
All the very best to you all and
ADIOS AMIGOS (or possibly more appropriately NASHLEDANOU)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I intend to get mine serviced by Skoda when I move to Wales. Problem is some Seat dealers are a shower, they haven't invested in them, others are pretty faultless. My Altea was looked after by a good Seat dealers for about 9 years but then I had to change to a local dealer which haven't filled me with confidence. I haven't dissed them on Google Maps yet since they are within my free toe distance from home, the next one isn't. They use sticky plaster and bush techniques to repair the car. I know about bush techniques after hiring a car and driver in Senegal, the cars wiring was via twisting the wires together, interesting under the hood. I prefer proper repairs not bush techniques. Bathed with the apes, ah what memories.

This Ateca fiasco of a pre order launch hasn't really worked. It would have been much better a normal launch. They have elevated themselves to a Jaguar Pace type of thing but the dealers aren't raising their game and Seat don't seem to have answers. First month was lost by Seat as it was delayed. The next month dealers didn't want to deal. This month they do but at pilfering discounts. Then get told any order placed now won't get processed till August. I'm sure it's just not me alienated by all of this, plus the trimmed down spec offered in the UK compared with the continent and Ireland.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts