Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi all, just that I'd send a few pics in with chrome bits fitted and car washed polished and waxed. Not great weather for pics but shine on car still came through well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Very nice, was it hard to fit the trim on the side panels?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve, all trims easy to fit, but must admit they have not stuck to plastic door sills as well as I would of liked. Only double sided sticky tape, but they need a warm environment and possibly heated up to make them adhere to the sills and although all other bits fitted well ( fog surrounds, front grill and boot protector I was a little disappointed with door sills. Think it's all in the prep work though.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hmmm not so keen on the side mouldings now I've seen them fitted to a dark coloured car, they make the side of the car look a bit too fussy for my liking. Glad I kept my money to be honest.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
If I had the side sill ones it would be better for my car cleaning where I get lazy on the bottom plastic, escapes the sponge.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad you think so Leon, think they are needed as doors look a little ordinary without these fitted, it may be the black plastic on the bottoms, doesn't really do much for me.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
They may not have stuck too well if you didn't spray with primer first.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah think your right Fred, but put degreaser on but did'nt know about any premier spray if any difference to the degreaser. :cry:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers Fred, any idea what the primer does :?:

·
Registered
918 Posts
I think the car looks absolutely fabulous with all of its accessories, and especially with the side sill trims, Taffy !

Really pulls things together with the wheels, chrome window trims and the roof rails :D

I've got all the same trims, plus the tailgate trim (all still to go on, after 4 months :shock: :shock: ) - but not yet the side sill trims; think I may well invest in the ones I've just seen on eBay :mrgreen:

All looks great, especially with black paint, which I love (just chose Rodium mysellf as I have had quite a few black cars, and they take a huge amount of care & attention to keep them looking great) - and the location looks great too. :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers McDerms, do the eBay ones fit into the groves on the black plastic like the seat ones. Very expensive for what they are but must admit I think just as you say they do go well with roof rails and window surrounds and that appearance justifies the extra exspence.

·
Registered
979 Posts
mcderms said:
I think the car looks absolutely fabulous with all of its accessories, and especially with the side sill trims, Taffy !

Really pulls things together with the wheels, chrome window trims and the roof rails :D

I've got all the same trims, plus the tailgate trim (all still to go on, after 4 months :shock: :shock: ) - but not yet the side sill trims; think I may well invest in the ones I've just seen on eBay :mrgreen:

All looks great, especially with black paint, which I love (just chose Rodium mysellf as I have had quite a few black cars, and they take a huge amount of care & attention to keep them looking great) - and the location looks great too. :D
I have to agree with Mcderms, it looks fab with the extras on. Really draws the eye to them :mrgreen:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers Kindness, seen yours cleaned and polished last week so thought I'd better get my act together and get it polished and waxed too. :cool:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Taffy2 said:
Cheers McDerms, do the eBay ones fit into the groves on the black plastic like the seat ones. Very expensive for what they are but must admit I think just as you say they do go well with roof rails and window surrounds and that appearance justifies the extra exspence.
They're genuine SEAT parts.....£190, Taffy - probably what a dealer would charge (well, I think it's Saggy's local dealer's eBay shop in any event).
I get that some people don't think they're worth it, but my attitude is, if I like something and am fortunate to have the money to spend, then I go for it....especially where my cars are concerned. :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree with you on that one Mcderms, you might be able to help me out and tell me why they don't want to stick very well to the plastic on the doors. What am I doing wrong, other stuck fine :cry:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Taffy2 said:
I agree with you on that one Mcderms, you might be able to help me out and tell me why they don't want to stick very well to the plastic on the doors. What am I doing wrong, other stuck fine :cry:
Like Fred99 said (and for some of the front & rear bumper trims which are significant in size), I think these really need the adhesion of the primer as well as the double sided tapes. I find the instructions for these types of things generally not very helpful, so rarely use them. I've also not seen the back of these trims, but I can imagine what they might be like with the tapes, based on the accessories I do have.

I think that the 'challenge' in fixing this kind of thing well arises at least in part because of the slight texturing of the plastic door cladding - hence the primer, which will I imagine do either/both of provide a smoother surface for adhesion....and maybe the primer should be slightly tacky when attaching the trims to the door? I think any trim that 'sticks on' is best done on a warm day, or with gentle heat applied from a heat gun to make all the adhesives 'tacky' so they grip better as they cool down.
I'd also give the cladding several goings over with IPA cleaner to remove absolutely all traces of grease before even starting to apply.

If you can ease them off without damaging them, you could start again - as above - but I suspect you'd need to remove the tapes and apply new 3M double sided tapes again. Hope this help? :D :?:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers McDerms, will try as suggested on the ones that look a bit loose. Thanks again.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Ohh yeah Mcderms, it looks like Saggy's Hortons have put a few of the accessories on ebay. I had noticed on the Hortons site that they no longer mentioned 15% off everything anymore but the prices are still lower than those in the accessories brochure :p I was then about to say 'but you need to pay extra for postage', however just noticed it's free postage in Feb :eek: Tempted by bits for mine now after seeing Taffy's photos :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts