Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else think the wipers are noisy, grunching and squeeking across the windscreen in heavy rain. Car is only six months old and the wipers have got steadily worse and with the heavy rain today it's dreadfull.....
Once bought cheap ones which did that, never again, used Bosch ones since so I'll be fitting them the first chance I get.

Dave.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Had a problem with one of the fronts (drivers side) pretty early but kept it clean and it's been okay since. Both probably due for change now they're over two years old. The rear got very noisy and juddery very quickly and I replaced it with a Bosch and it's now prefect. Annoyingly, during my recent service, the manager suggested that my rear wiper was due for changing. He soon shut up when I told him it was a new Bosch that replaced the crappy SEAT one previously on there :roll: . Try and clean the blades and screen with white vinegar using newspaper.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ghiggz said:
my rear started doing this really loudly, just gave the blade and glass a really good clean and been fine since...
Mine started doing this after being cleaned by the dealership, never did before!

G

·
Jettabout said:
Does anyone else think the wipers are noisy, grunching and squeeking across the windscreen in heavy rain. Car is only six months old and the wipers have got steadily worse and with the heavy rain today it's dreadfull.....
Once bought cheap ones which did that, never again, used Bosch ones since so I'll be fitting them the first chance I get.

Dave.
It's time for you to buy new blades. The original ones were rubbish, mine literally disintegrated after about 6 months. I also like Bosch blades, and change them at least once a year.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ordered Bosch wipers yesterday to pick up today, £30 from Halfords. Cheaper than some on Fleabay which were around £34.
Windscreen and wipers had been cleaned a few times and although it did make a difference in heavy rain they still 'grunched' like cheap ones across the screen.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bosch blades a very quiet, but won't last many winters if there is ICE (very soft rubber). If you are in the UK, subscribe to the Euro Car Parts mailing list and they regularly have big discounts on wiper blades, I think mine cost about half the price of the same blades at Halfords.

If they are smearing, use isopropyl alcohol on the rubbers (or possibly glass cleaner on a cloth if you don't have any alcohol) and you will be amazed how much stuff comes off them and how much better they are afterwards.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Changed mine to Bosch after the originals lasted 5000 miles. They bounced over the screen and were smeary. Tried all the usual tricks but nothing worked.

Hoping these last a lot longer.

·
Registered
208 Posts
stecornes said:
Bosch blades a very quiet, but won't last many winters if there is ICE (very soft rubber). If you are in the UK, subscribe to the Euro Car Parts mailing list and they regularly have big discounts on wiper blades, I think mine cost about half the price of the same blades at Halfords.

If they are smearing, use isopropyl alcohol on the rubbers (or possibly glass cleaner on a cloth if you don't have any alcohol) and you will be amazed how much stuff comes off them and how much better they are afterwards.
Agree with the above.
I use glass lense cleaning wipes every now and then on mine and the [email protected] that comes of them is astounding.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Mine are on 8K and still work fine.
I think a lot depends on what sort of windscreen wash you use also, seems the Tesco cheap stuff is kind to the blades.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fitted the Bosch wipers and they work smoothly and silently, definitely an improvement and that's before I clean the screen as suggested.
I've used Bosch wipers for over twenty years and only once in that time bought cheap ones and as I said before - never again.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Out in the wet rain today and the new Bosch wipers were silent...... Result!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Got a 700 mile Polo today as a courtesy car while Tiguan is in for service and its wipers are horrendously noisy across the screen, even in heavy rain.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Rory said:
Got a 700 mile Polo today as a courtesy car while Tiguan is in for service and its wipers are horrendously noisy across the screen, even in heavy rain.
You take a Tiguan in and they give you a Polo!
Drive it like you stole it!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Max2090 said:
It was OK actually - a DSG one with 95PS petrol engine - went very nicely on 15 mile journey each way. In the past they've given me an Up!. I don't mind small cars but I was surprised how awful the Up! was.

Daughter's Ateca was serviced the other day and she was given a Citroen C3. She went back at 4PM as agreed and had to wait 30 mins with her impatient little daughter as car wasn't ready. They said they'd washed and vac'd it but the extent of that was throwing some water at the wheels.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Rory said:
Max2090 said:
It was OK actually - a DSG one with 95PS petrol engine - went very nicely on 15 mile journey each way. In the past they've given me an Up!. I don't mind small cars but I was surprised how awful the Up! was.

Daughter's Ateca was serviced the other day and she was given a Citroen C3. She went back at 4PM as agreed and had to wait 30 mins with her impatient little daughter as car wasn't ready. They said they'd washed and vac'd it but the extent of that was throwing some water at the wheels.
I get the same from my stealer in Cambridge.
They lend me a Mii FR which is remarkably fun to drive but every time I have to call them to see if my car is ready, usually half an hour before they close, to be told it was ready at noon! Do they not know how to use a phone?
It's always flippin rush hour also so a mare traffic wise.
The last but one time it actually went it to be cleaned correctly as they didn't do it prior to pickup (brand new on March 1st 2019) and had glue on the panels...I collected it 7 hours later to find they hadn't even touched it let alone moved it from where I left it!
Suffice to say choice words were indeed had and lots of managers were running about apologising...how hard can it be to do the 1 thing it went in for?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My original wipers are rubbish; very noisy and skipped across the screen rather than wiping. After owning the car for a month (from new) I bought a replacement Bosch set and no more problems.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts