Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ateca arrived just before my 1200 mile trip to Spain. It's now one week old and I've done 1300 miles, so I thought I'd write a little report with a few of my first impressions.

Firstly I must say that I'm loving it :D . The ride is firm but not hard, it corners very well for a tall vehicle. Road noise is fairly subdued, but there is some wind noise at the higher speeds. Having spent 12 hours in one day in the leather seats, I have to say they are probably the most comfy car seats I have sat in. The engine is so quiet. You only know it's running by looking at the rev counter. It pulls surprising well for the size of vehicle it is in.

When you've driven for some time a message pops up telling you to take a break with a picture of a cuppa. Not sure if this can be turned off? Maybe I should take notice of it :p . Whilst traveling on the motorway it also tells you if you are too close to the car in front, not that I ever did that :shock:

The in-built satnav seems accurate although the traffic warnings aren't, or at least in France they were way off. As I mentioned in another post, it reckoned the motorway ahead was shut when it wasn't. Turns out the road had been closed overnight and by mid morning the warning hadn't been updated. It's pronunciation of town names is nowhere near as good as Google maps and it can't pronounce Barcelona :eek: which I found amusing considering that is where the car was designed.

Android auto has its frustrations, or at least it does with my Xperia Z3. I had troubles at first connecting it as it kept failing, but when it finally connected it now connects every time. The sound from Spotify doesn't always come out of the car speakers. I found you have to go into the menu and select a new playlist on the screen and then the sound jumps back to the car speakers. It even does this when the car is stopped for a quick loo break with the phone left plugged in. Having the phone in the wireless charging position seems to affect the phone's GPS accuracy and if there are two parallel roads it thinks you are on the other one. Something that never happened using it in other cars in a cradle on the screen.

The headlights on the car are simply outstanding. I've never driven another vehicle that comes close. They are just so bright and clear. Interior lighting is ok, but what is the point of the ambient lighting where the colour can only be changed on the doors and not in the footwell? The puddle lights are fun, although my cat wasn't too fond of them and tried to attack the projected Ateca logo. By the way, I didn't have the cat with me on the journey :lol: :lol:

Storage space is a bit limited. Older cars have ash trays and I've always used these for coins etc. There is no where in the Ateca for this type of thing. Why oh why are the two drink holders different size? Also the door pockets are smaller than my previous car (Zafira Tourer), so my one litre flask wouldn't fit. An emergency purchase to two half litre flasks from Amazon was required. Thank heavens for their next day delivery service as I can't survive without my cups of tea.

So to conclude. Overall I'm loving it, but there is room for a little improvement to make it perfect. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for all that. Very Interesting read especially as I collected mine only four days ago and haven't been too far yet. I used my sat nav to travel to Norwich yesterday and the "voice" pronunciation of the city rather amusing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks for that. How has fuel consumption been with the longer distance driving? Are you getting good MPG?

Cheers
A2A

·
Registered
160 Posts
Great write up, thanks for sharing.

I agree about the cup holders.. it's such a small thing but is really frustrating at times.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I remember from the test drive that the seats were very comfy!

Looks as though the tiredness 'coffee cup' can be switched on/off from the main car menu.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Accord2Ateca said:
Thanks for that. How has fuel consumption been with the longer distance driving? Are you getting good MPG?

Cheers
A2A
I averaged just over 36 mpg. I didn't think that was too bad considering I was tanking along and there were several mountain climbs.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm averaging 32.9 over 980 miles.... my driving must be a lot less conservative than everyone else :eek: :lol:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
That's almost the same as I get. I don't understand the concept of conservative driving.

I bought the Ateca 1.4tsi for its performance and handling. If I managed to get the same figures that some members claim approaching 50mpg I would seriously question why I had a 150hp engine if I wanted to drive in Granny mode all the time!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Fred99 said:
That's almost the same as I get. I don't understand the concept of conservative driving.

I bought the Ateca 1.4tsi for its performance and handling. If I managed to get the same figures that some members claim approaching 50mpg I would seriously question why I had a 150hp engine if I wanted to drive in Granny mode all the time!
Glad I'm not alone then Fred

I agree with you, I don't think I boot the car about or anything but I do like to push it giving the opportunity.

Are members in 6th gear at 30mph or something? I just don't know how people are getting over 40mpg from the 1.4

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bosker said:
Thanks for all that. Very Interesting read especially as I collected mine only four days ago and haven't been too far yet. I used my sat nav to travel to Norwich yesterday and the "voice" pronunciation of the city rather amusing.
I am from round that area so will have to try the sat nav and see as I have only used CarPlay maps at the mo

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thanks trophyjem, great little review! Can't wait to do my own!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Bosker said:
Not the pronunciation but the voice recognition

The thing actually understands my Glaswegian accent! I was shocked

I managed to do the whole thing in one go... 'navigation' 'city' 'street name' etc

I really thought it was going to be like this....
:lol: :lol:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scott1988 said:
I'm averaging 32.9 over 980 miles.... my driving must be a lot less conservative than everyone else :eek: :lol:
It maybe the mode that they use? I just leave me in sport :lol:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Fred99 said:

Made me smile.

Well I'm the kind of sad person who has the Trip computer set permanently to Average Miles Per Gallon from the day I buy the car to the day I sell it. It changed me from being a young man driving at 80 to 90mph constantly on long drives (dual carriageway or motorway) to driving at 60 to 80 mph for the last 20 years or so!

Getting older and proud of it :lol:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Fred99 said:

'
I can't understand anyone interested in performance and handling buying an SUV :lol:

Why do I have a 150hp engine and drive in granny mode? Because that's the only petrol engine available on the Xcellence.

Next...

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
I can't understand anyone interested in performance and handling buying an SUV :lol:
Because it is more comfortable and has better access than my Leon - simple really. You really do not seem to understand that I may have different requirements to you . I expect everyone will have different requirements when it comes to choosing a car..

·
Registered
778 Posts
Quick question for you TrophyJem as I was planning on doing something similar and taking the car for a long run to see family in Spain (assuming it arrives sometime this summer): Did you find the 'tourist mode' setting?

I was reading in the PDF manual about headlight adjustment for driving on the continent and it said Tourist Mode means you don't need deflectors as a temporary solution (makes sense). But helpfully as ever (thanks Seat) it makes no mention of how to enable it!! I'm guessing it's somewhere in the car settings, but not having my car to play with just yet I can't hunt around for it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Etchings said:
Quick question for you TrophyJem as I was planning on doing something similar and taking the car for a long run to see family in Spain (assuming it arrives sometime this summer): Did you find the 'tourist mode' setting?

I was reading in the PDF manual about headlight adjustment for driving on the continent and it said Tourist Mode means you don't need deflectors as a temporary solution (makes sense). But helpfully as ever (thanks Seat) it makes no mention of how to enable it!! I'm guessing it's somewhere in the car settings, but not having my car to play with just yet I can't hunt around for it.
I do not think it needs enabling. I think it just means the beam pattern with the led headlights is flatter so it doesn't dazzle the oncoming traffic.
I never had a problem and I did a lot more night driving than planned as the train through the tunnel was delayed nearly 3 hours.
If I can be of any help with your route or anything let me know. I do the journey at least once a year.

·
Registered
778 Posts
TrophyJem said:
I do not think it needs enabling. I think it just means the beam pattern with the led headlights is flatter so it doesn't dazzle the oncoming traffic.
I never had a problem and I did a lot more night driving than planned as the train through the tunnel was delayed nearly 3 hours.
If I can be of any help with your route or anything let me know. I do the journey at least once a year.
Thanks for that. Yeah I'd been reading conflicting reports about that - on some VWs with LED headlights there's a specific mode to enable, on others they engineered it so the light levels were good enough (below EU limits for dazzle) as-is, hence the curiosity.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts