Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm half way through the manual. Question to those that own an Ateca.

I reckon that you keep the lights switched to "Auto" rather than "Off" then when it's dark you switch the lights to your own setting, so "Auto" becomes the new "Off". Fog you don't trust auto as it says. Your "going home lights" only work in "Auto" and the puddle lights ditto.

Am I right or wrong on this ?. Question is when do you really turn them off, when you don't want going home or puddle lights perhaps.

Next question how to start it, I tease. I note this is covered well over halfway through the manual.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I have that feature on my Leon and it is always on Auto.

I have never changed it as I never need to use the other options such as the fog lights. For me it's one of the best features as we have loads of tunnels here on the motorway and it is a €300 fine if you fail to use your dipped beam in a tunnel.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see the tunnel use is good where you have tunnels. Fog no good since it can't tell the difference in the ambient brightness, although I'm not one of those people that puts on the rear lights at the faintest bit of mist. I hold back on those till it's a pea souper.

It seems my days of using the fog light for reversing out of drivers may be over. I like to put the low front fog lights on and use the side lights, so as to give low level lighting without glare for backing out then switch back to normal beam when pulling away. I couldn't see that I would be able to do that in the Ateca.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Tell said:
I like to put the low front fog lights on and use the side lights, so as to give low level lighting without glare for backing out then switch back to normal beam when pulling away. I couldn't see that I would be able to do that in the Ateca.
Why not just use the rear camera?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did occur to me or the 360. Really to keep brightness down as one heads backwards past parallel parked cars / hedge and to make sure you clear what's in front as you spin the front wheels. I use to do it on side lights till I got fog lights and used them as well.

This is page 23 of the manual. Now I'm wondering that I can do the side light / fog thingey by one click to the right after auto and pull out one stop. Think that control is like the Altea except it has the auto setting. Think I got thrown by the drawing in the manual that shows the fog light graphics as if you turn but it's pull.

So yes I think I'll treat Auto as the new Off and I'll do manual lights on when I deem I need them for visibility including fogs. I suppose when driving off after dark you could just take the auto setting and apply judgement when to override.

(I got to read the rest of the manual in the next period since the cars at the dealers and we are on the final countdown now)

(the manual is a maze of options for locking / unlocking, will have to work out what's best for me).

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I get really frustrated with people in fog who have auto lights presuming they are on

I leave mine in auto and override if I have any doubt on a misty morning where not quite enough to warrant fog but definitely needing rear lights

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Saggy said:
I get really frustrated with people in fog who have auto lights presuming they are on

I leave mine in auto and override if I have any doubt on a misty morning where not quite enough to warrant fog but definitely needing rear lights
I get frustrated with the guys that use the tail lights in rain, they are just stupid and dont know the highway code. I will overide the auto as you say Saggy, treat auto as off and go to manual as it gets dark, foggy or not happy with what auto is doing.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm worried now about the auto lights not coming on when I think they are on in much the same way that the auto wipers don't seem to clear the screen when I start the engine and have to do it manually. Technology is great but if it's foggy, dark or raining I'm staying indoors!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
When the lights come on the instrument panel and the red lights on the overhead light system all light up like a Xmas tree. It's fairly obvious that they are on. The sensitivity can be adjusted to the point where they come on if it is grey and overcast.

From my experience, they are more likely to be on when they are not really needed than the other way round.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Tell said:
Saggy said:

I get frustrated with the guys that use the tail lights in rain, they are just stupid and dont know the highway code. I will overide the auto as you say Saggy, treat auto as off and go to manual as it gets dark, foggy or not happy with what auto is doing.
I can't understand how using tail lights in the rain would frustrate you? Surely anything that makes a car more visible to other roads users without causing a distraction is safer for our roads? Fair enough if it's still quite bright then you probably don't need them on but I've driven in many a damp and dull day where I think it is much safer for cars to have lights on both the front and rear of the car, especially if the car is a dark colour.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes exactly that illegal act why it's illegal is that with the intensity of rear fog lights in the rain you can't see the stop lights with the results is you will get a tail end collision caused by the idiot that likes to light their car up like a Xmas tree. So you are risking your own safety by not using rear fog lights correctly.

The other pet hate is those people that don't indicate and believe that everybody can read their mind. There are so many people that do this now I can't believe that there are not lazy sods on this board that don't do it. It causes chaos at roundabouts since nobody knows where anybody is going so slows the movement of traffic down as well as not giving good warning to cars behind or in front of intentions. It's easy enough to click the indicator on and off so why not do it. People who don't indicate are just plainly selfish.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yep, I'll agree with that one. The only time I don't indicate is if there is no one to benefit from the signal. Worse for me are those that decide to slow down and let people out of junctions, usually without checking their mirrors, when 2 seconds later it would be clear to exit the junction anyway. :twisted:

·
Registered
328 Posts
OK fair enough, you're right you shouldnt be using your rear fog light unless the fog is pretty thick. Got a bit confused with your use of the term "tail lights" as this is what I'd call my standard rear lights.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
David_S said:
OK fair enough, you're right you shouldnt be using your rear fog light unless the fog is pretty thick. Got a bit confused with your use of the term "tail lights" as this is what I'd call my standard rear lights.
I thought like you too :)

Leon said:
Yep, I'll agree with that one. The only time I don't indicate is if there is no one to benefit from the signal. Worse for me are those that decide to slow down and let people out of junctions, usually without checking their mirrors, when 2 seconds later it would be clear to exit the junction anyway. :twisted:
my pet hate too .......... I'll do it in a queue of crawling traffic but get really peed off in fast moving traffic when someone does it when there is only them and me behind them .... 2 seconds like you say :x

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My criteria is if it's not slowing me down I will let someone out, slow moving traffic where you won't loose your place. They are probably fog light abusers and non indicator people and voted for Brexit....

·
Registered
425 Posts
Calm down boys, it always starts off with politics, then it's a slippery slope towards sex and religion!
On an unrelated note, did anyone see the effigy they are burning in Lewes tonight? Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Plant

Attachments

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I make them into remainers ;).

I did have the pleasure of following a fog lights abuser all the way back from the garage in broad daylight. Somebody dangerous overtook them leaving me with the pleasure of being dazzled.

I did play with the light switch today and is like the Altea except you get the auto option. I got to intensively watch Thomas' video in the next two days and read another 175 pages of the manual.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.