Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As described previously, my choice for my next company car is restricted to Audi or SEAT. I tried an Alhambra, too big/slow/expensive/floaty so then I tried a Q3. Nice to drive but too impractical in terms of boot size/shape and rear accommodation. Q5 is too expensive for me. As time is against me, I had a look round the new Tiguan and found the controls and seating position acceptable.
So, the final spec is a 2.0TDI 2WD DSG Xcellence in Passion Red, the only extras will be a towbar and the sound pack/spare wheel. Bit of a leap of faith on my part but fingers crossed. My current car goes back at the end of October so we'll see if they can get the new car built by then...

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I did like the Tiguan myself and keep that as an option. You get the seats in cloth none of this silly leather enforced. The display is all electronic least on the top of the range although you worry about failure. The boot was better finished off than the Ateca I saw although I suspect it was preproduction since the floor cover doesn't look like other picture I saw. Negatives on the Tiguan I suspect it will be refreshed often so you end up driving an outdated model. Won't worry you if you don't keep a car that long. Ateca red, I would consider that but it's not metallic so after ten years it will look like the paint has been taken off with sand paper. Not an issue if you don't keep for ten years.

My plan come September is too try out an Ateca and see how rubbish the Xcellence leather seats are, consider colours again, put along side the Tiguan (found a dealership that does both), review the discounts on both. Think that latter will go on till after Xmas on a who blinks basis between Seat and customers business / private. I don't really want a car with the wrong seats and colour. If the Tiguan is discounted and Seat are still playing silly billies will go for that especially after sitting in Ateca leather seats and going yuck. I will buy it from a broker I suspect. Rubbish Seat garages for maintenence doesn't help where I live. For me a lot stacked up against the Ateca but the two real negative on 4WD DSG are the enforced leather seats and poor colour choice putting discounts to one side.

I'm sure the Ateca will be good if you like leather in the Xcellence and the paint choice, the rest Seat expects you to compromise on.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Nice spec newtoseat! Xcellence does seem to be a popular choice. All the reviews and previews seem to suggest Seat think that will be the most popular spec. I reckon you should have no problem getting an October ship date with so few extras on top of the normal Xcellence trim. Can't think either of us will be disappointed when they arrive.

I am more and more pleased that I bit the bullet on a first edition. I had a confirmation back this week from SEAT saying I have my name to one of the 200. I have a build date of August and a delivery confirmed end of September now. Start of August will finalise the finance deal and sign everything officially. That could be interesting what is on offer on pcp but I am prepared for all scenarios financially.

I think first edition seems more and more like a good trim point for me. Apart from the even more limited colour options, it seems to get everything an Xcellence has apart from the aluminium trim and auto wipers/lights. But I get the electric tailgate which is infinitely more useful to me than auto wipers, and only an option on Xcellence. Obviously you have to compromise on the engine choices with a first edition but I was always leaning towards the smallest petrol engine anyway for my low mileage. Also I don't get leather seats! I am not sure why a downgrade is not an option for you Tell, aside from keeping the range simpler and presumably helping their manufacturing process. The ability is clearly there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for that, the electric tailgate would have been nice but as it's a company car then I would rather use the money for other things. I would prefer to have the First Edition wheels too but never mind, not an option.
I need an automatic so that my wife can drive the car as well so the engine chose itself. If only they had brought in an automatic version of the 1.4TFSI, I drove a Q3 with this and liked it. Should be interesting to see what it's like when it arrives.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Engine choices are very much an individual preference. I would have preferred a 1.4 but could not justify the price leap. Also means I would miss out the extras in the first edition with a standard SE. Reminds me of one other difference, the 1.0 doesn't have the drive mode selector. Aside from looking cool to have a dial to change my driving style, and make me feel like an 18 year old putting it in sport mode on B roads, I am not sure how much i would really have used it! :-D I suspect I would have found the auto setting fine and left it in that the entire time. I had an eco button in my fiat that I used for the first 6 months around town but then eventually got tired of the deadened throttle response. I did use the city button which lightened the steering round town however. Hoping what I don't have I won't miss. I can see its purpose on 4wd versions to select separate related modes though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts