Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a company vehicle which is an Ateca TDI 115 SE TECHNOLOGY EZ (19 Plate)

It has recently developed an over heating issue. It doesn't do every time and there seems to be no logical explanation that our mechanic can find.

When the fault occurs it will heat up to 90° with no issues, stay like that for maybe 4 miles or so but then the temperature will suddenly climb to anything from 109° to even 128°. If I then ease off the throttle or pull over depending on the location the temperature goes down and stays at 90° for the rest of the journey.
I have a long commute and in the morning it is on the motorway and it generally occurs after about 7 miles. The evening its side roads where the speed is much lower but the results are more or less the same.

There is no coolant loss and there are no electrical faults logged on the system.

So far we have changed the sensor which has made no difference.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this and worked out what the issue was?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Having now eliminated the thermostat which was replaced, we then sent the engine data to be analysed and the results suggested it was 95% probability that it is a water pump issue. This will be replaced in the first week of the new year and my mechanic was told to expect to have to change at least one of these once a year so it is a known VAG issue.
The car continues to overheat after 6 miles and is generally back down to normal temperature by 15 miles dependent on type of road being used. I have also noted that the temperature increases rapidly if the car goes up an incline which is odd. It does this consistently so it has helped me manage the temperature at the beginning of my journey along with taking a slight detour to avoid hills. I will confirm back in the new year once the water pump has been changed.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Getting hotter going up hill is logical; more load = more power = more heat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had this couple of years ago when impeller had come off shaft, great cruising on motorway with plenty of air around it, as soon as traffic or town driving it would overheat. Other tell tale sign was expansion tank water did not get hot due to lack of circulation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts