Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keen to add one of these two options as I'm concerned that the move from a smaller car with front sensors (64 Leon FR) to the Ateca with no front sensors may be a challenge.

Anyone got any thoughts about these two options? I get that the 360 camera doesn't include front sensors but I'm assuming the camera image delivers the same effect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
L4ng3rs2017 said:
Keen to add one of these two options as I'm concerned that the move from a smaller car with front sensors (64 Leon FR) to the Ateca with no front sensors may be a challenge.

Anyone got any thoughts about these two options? I get that the 360 camera doesn't include front sensors but I'm assuming the camera image delivers the same effect.
'
The Ateca is taller than the Leon but virtually the same length and width.

Again, I can't understand this fixation with front park sensors. I'm wondering if those who're interested in front sensors have ever had front sensors?
Front sensors aid the auto parking system but apart from that... I can't get my head around what the problem is looking out the windscreen :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
I have front sensors in my current car, it helps me to better gauge where the front of the car is. Maybe I'm a short arse but I've never been great at working out where the front corners of the car were, especially when parking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
We will pick up our Ateca tomorrow!!

He have all the sensors and 360 camera. I have driven in a car before with both front and back sensors - it is SOOOO much easier to park with front sensors. You dont really look outside the windows, you just look at your screen, and listen to the beeps, for how close you are. I really love it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,865 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
L4ng3rs2017 said:
Keen to add one of these two options as I'm concerned that the move from a smaller car with front sensors (64 Leon FR) to the Ateca with no front sensors may be a challenge.

Anyone got any thoughts about these two options? I get that the 360 camera doesn't include front sensors but I'm assuming the camera image delivers the same effect.
'
The Ateca is taller than the Leon but virtually the same length and width.

Again, I can't understand this fixation with front park sensors. I'm wondering if those who're interested in front sensors have ever had front sensors?
Front sensors aid the auto parking system but apart from that... I can't get my head around what the problem is looking out the windscreen :D
Same could be said for rear ones too and why have cameras either

But we aren't all perfect like you and find the reassurance of the bleeps good!

I've had them before and will always have them now

I can learn where the front corners are with time but I am over cautious without as I really can't see where the front corners are

Why diss people for it?
Surely it's a good thing if people like to use aides to avoid car park scrapes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
I changed to 360 camera from front sensor and assist.
I dont think i will use park assist anyway with manual gearox but 360 degree can be very useful in some situations in narrow places
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
may be just me, but the 360 camera made my eyes go funny. the fish eye perspective takes some getting use to I guess
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
Is the front sensor for the park assist? also used for The ACC, lane assist and emergency braking?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
No, it's the ultrasonic sensors like on the rear for parking sensors, rather than the radar for the ACC etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
AndyE14 said:
Is the front sensor for the park assist? also used for The ACC, lane assist and emergency braking?
'
The front sensors in the bumper are for park assist (and for those who apparently can't see out their windscreen whilst parking :lol: )

I think it's the SEAT badge in the middle of the front grill that houses the radar for ACC (VW Golf's etc have a small square just below the front number late)

Lane assist is run by the camera behind your rear-view mirror, as is emergency braking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
I would be happy if all cars had parking sensors of some description it would save me all the car park dents and scratches I have had the displeasure of accumulate over the years from other "drivers" who obviously can't see or drive, at least the noise will hopefully stop them from contact driving.
John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
I find both the top view camera and the front sensors very useful. The Ateca has quite a high waistline and a tall bonnet, which means it can be difficult to gauge exactly where the end of its nose is - particularly when dealing with parking spots which have low level obstructions, being able to see and hear what you're doing even if you can't see the obstructions from the pilot position is a great help.

As an example, our front drive has a small wall topped with sharp edged chunks of local stone, which is well below the driver's line of sight when approaching at parking distances. There are also some decorative flower planters at a similar height. The party wall between us and the next house is made of stone and very solid. And at the moment, there is a small skip parked on one side of the drive, which comes up about 4 inches below the level of the side windows and is largely invisible in the wing mirrors when alongside. Plus, the drive entry is at an angle; so I have to cross the dropped kerb at the correct angle, straighten up without connecting with the party wall on one side and a metal skip on the other, then stop well in advance of hitting the low dividing wall with the chin spoiler (which I did a few times in 7 years with the previous Altea) having positioned the car far enough over that I can open the door to get out but not so far as to have sideswiped the corner of the skip all down the rear passenger door. Having stuff to tell me exactly how far I am from all these obstructions simultaneously makes it a lot easier and less stressful to make sure I miss them. It's one of those things where I could do - and have done - the job without the clever bits to help, but it's great to have the extra reassurance that I'm not about to dent some expensive bodywork...

(there's also always the situation where a complete fool parks far too close in a confined car park as if daring you to dent his car on the way out... eejits!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
I would be surprised if anyone can see where the front bumper is whilst parking and manoeuvring I certainly can't and would love the sensor and 360 cam on my other car which only has a rear view cam.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,710 Posts
I'm sure I remember someone saying they can see everything through the windscreen so don't need any front sensors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Fred99 said:
I'm sure I remember someone saying they can see everything through the windscreen so don't need any front sensors.
I seem to recall Land Rover putting out a concept of a system that would let yo effectively see through the bonnet, engine and bumper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,710 Posts
Surely, that's exactly what the 360 cameras allow you to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so I understand the views for & against these capabilities & now the question is:

If you had to pick 1 and only 1 of either 360 camera or front sensors, which would you pick?

I'm tending towards the 360 camera as it provides a better all-around (forgive the pun) capability.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
L4ng3rs2017 said:
Ok so I understand the views for & against these capabilities & now the question is:

If you had to pick 1 and only 1 of either 360 camera or front sensors, which would you pick?

I'm tending towards the 360 camera as it provides a better all-around (forgive the pun) capability.
I would take the 360 camera in that case. Fortunately, I have all the sensors and the 360 camera. I find they complement each other very well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Why would you need front sensor if you take 360 camera and can see exactly how close you can park :O

I understand if you choose cheaper extra and go just for front sensor and park assist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
I think I'd probably go for the 360 camera over front sensors, if I had to pick. Having said which, the two do seem to interact - with both installed, the top view camera picture is overlaid with warning markers which change from grey, to amber, to red as one gets closer to the obstructing object.

I will admit that I do still slightly miss the reversing sensor readout on the old Altea, which gave a numerical reading in metres of the sensed distance from the closest obstruction, until one was closer than 0.3m (1 foot approximately) where it suddenly decided the object was too close and read zero! But it was really useful knowing exactly how much distance, objectively, was available to work with. The 360 camera is still pretty good though...
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top