Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The parking assistant is normally used for parallel an reverse perpendicular parking. In the manual it mentions the ability to handle perpendicular (bay) parking going forwards rather than backing in. It does not give much info on how you active this. I have seen a YouTube VW video showing it working and it does it without you driving past the empty space.

Has anyone managed to do this successfully?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I managed to get it to work, however it is far easier to drive into the space yourself as it made me go forwards and backwards quite a few times! :roll:

You have to actually drive past the space before you can select perpendicular (bay) parking if the system recognises it as a valid parking option.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Used it 3 times just to show people it can do it,
it's pretty cool watching the wheel turn itself but honestly it's my 1 and only regret in choosing the Ateca lol
Hard to use, takes ages and struggles to get close to the kerb when parallel parking.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I bought it just to get the front sensors. If they did front sensors as an option without park assist that would have been my preference.

·
Registered
158 Posts
kee said:
I bought it just to get the front sensors. If they did front sensors as an option without park assist that would have been my preference.
Same here. I only took that option because of sensor doubt i will use park assistant itself at all.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Can't help but think the system will lead to premature tyre wear through scrubbing, although I suspect that doesn't concern the owners that much.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From my experience (limited) so far, it parks at about 6" from the kerb which is just about perfect.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I was thinking more scrubbing on the tread through low speed acute steering rather than grazing the sidewalls or shoulders.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see what you mean. The manual specifically tells you to brake when it starts spinning the wheel so that it gets the maximum direction change. That would wear the tyres but you would have to do an enormous amount of parking for it to be significant.

The first time I used it I was amazed just how fast it moves the wheel.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Justanotherstar said:
Used it 3 times just to show people it can do it,
it's pretty cool watching the wheel turn itself but honestly it's my 1 and only regret in choosing the Ateca lol
Hard to use, takes ages and struggles to get close to the kerb when parallel parking.
Agree with this. It's the one extra I wish I hadn't specced. :(

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wish they did only front park sensors- debating to get park assis just for this. Had ordered electric seats but found out it's not memory 😭 so gonna swap the two! Thoughts / advice? New to forum!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Legod2 said:
Wish they did only front park sensors- debating to get park assis just for this. Had ordered electric seats but found out it's not memory 😭 so gonna swap the two! Thoughts / advice? New to forum!
Welcome to the forums. I ordered Park Assist as part of the XCellence pack and so far it's probably one of the features I make most use of - I don't use the self-parking (conditions never right to 'try it' and see how it works for one), but the front sensors have been very useful (to me) for placing the nose of the car in tight parking spots, which round here they're the only type you get!

360 Camera is good to see how you line up in a space but trying to judge distance (more important IMHO) is made a lot easier by the sensors.

As always it boils down to personal choice.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you have the front and rear sensors you also get side sensors ( which are there mainly for auto parking) but they also work with the normal sensor display. I don't think you get the rear side sensors if you only have the rear sensors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts