Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok thought I would just raise this topic so people could mention how they find parking the Ateca both manually and with park assist. I'm raising this because for the life of me I cannot park straight when going into a space forwards. :? After another early start at work parking forward into an empty car park, I parked what I thought was far too much over to the left at the front to try and compensate for my usual right slanted angle. I got out only to find I was still slightly at a diagonal towards the right. Got back in the car and it still felt as if it was to the left instead :roll: It's just dawned on me this is because of the drivers side orientated slant of the cockpit. Because the cockpit is at an angle it seems to confuse my brain (doesn't take much) into thinking I'm too far over to the left :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,710 Posts
I can't say I have noticed this, but it is one of the circumstances where the Top View camera is really useful. You can see the white lines clearly and it either helps you get it right as you park, or at least gives you a visual check before you get out and realise you didn't park straight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Kindness71 said:
Ok thought I would just raise this topic so people could mention how they find parking the Ateca both manually and with park assist. I'm raising this because for the life of me I cannot park straight when going into a space forwards. :? After another early start at work parking forward into an empty car park, I parked what I thought was far too much over to the left at the front to try and compensate for my usual right slanted angle. I got out only to find I was still slightly at a diagonal towards the right. Got back in the car and it still felt as if it was to the left instead :roll: It's just dawned on me this is because of the drivers side orientated slant of the cockpit. Because the cockpit is at an angle it seems to confuse my brain (doesn't take much) into thinking I'm too far over to the left :roll:
Oh I thought it was me. My dad has an assisted/disabled parking bay at home provided by the council due to the fact that he is paralysed down one side. It has taken mr over 3 months to try and get this car straight within the box drivers front wheel always seemed to be further out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
I'm still getting used to the shape of the Ateca; I can usually get into the space nice and straight, either forward or reverse, but the Bus seems to have a very short snout compared to where I think its schnoz ends - I often park at the supermarket in a space which has a bollard or street lamp at the end, and I can't seem to get within a foot of the marker. Even with the camera, because of the scale of the display and the relatively conservative margins shown by the radar sensors, I am still finding it difficult to place the Ateca exactly where I want it. Also tend to end up a foot from the kerb when parallel parking. It's a bit odd - the car doesn't feel huge when driving along, in fact it seems to shrink and I can sense where the edges are pretty well. It's just when parking that it feels bigger than it is!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
To anyone (South of the border) having difficulty parking their cars:

http://www.englishschoolofmotoring.co.uk/home :lol:
I'll have you know my father was a driving instructor! :x :lol:

(also, in my defence, I'm entering a plea to the effect that I've been driving the same Altea XL for 7 years and, as I'm getting older, it takes longer for my brain to readjust than it used to... :? )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
PaulT00 said:
I'll have you know my father was a driving instructor! :x :lol:
that'll teach you to pay more attention to your elders :D
Sadly, he died 40 years ago...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Think the reversing issues are due to the infotainment screen being at an angle of 10' so you send the car off at a angle looking at the reversing image alone. Front parking again maybe the sculptured dash and the high driving position so you don't see over the front. Cheerless of me to suggest 360' top view as the answer for day light parking. It isn't for just off road crossing bridges as the videos show but day to day lazy use. Doesn't always work when turning since the images re projected and matrixed together sometimes show unhelpful joints but pulling straight in or out without turning the screen image is fairly accurate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Tell said:
Think the reversing issues are due to the infotainment screen being at an angle of 10' so you send the car off at a angle looking at the reversing image alone. Front parking again maybe the sculptured dash and the high driving position so you don't see over the front. Cheerless of me to suggest 360' top view as the answer for day light parking. It isn't for just off road crossing bridges as the videos show but day to day lazy use. Doesn't always work when turning since the images re projected and matrixed together sometimes show unhelpful joints but pulling straight in or out without turning the screen image is fairly accurate.
What's my excuse I've got no cameras on mine '
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
I have the reversing camera fitted but never use it, we all sat our test without such devices so we seem to be getting lazy on the way we drive, and remember if you have a crash while reversing try blaming the camera.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
I cannot park straight either. I am better when I reverse in using camera as a guide and wing mirror to adjust but driving forward straight in I do find it hard to line up straight. Wing mirrors are best when angled down to adjust but obviously that is not great for day to day driving. Top view would sort this but can't have everything! Think it's a matter of getting used to the car and paying a bit more attention. There may be something in that dash alignment thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Magpie86 said:
I cannot park straight either. I am better when I reverse in using camera as a guide and wing mirror to adjust but driving forward straight in I do find it hard to line up straight. Wing mirrors are best when angled down to adjust but obviously that is not great for day to day driving. Top view would sort this but can't have everything! Think it's a matter of getting used to the car and paying a bit more attention. There may be something in that dash alignment thing.
Maybe it's the beautiful orange colour of the bonnet distracting us ;) :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Struggled to get it straight at first coming from a small civic but seem to be getting in properly now,
You could always use park assist once you're in to straighten it up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
Maybe it's the beautiful orange colour of the bonnet distracting us ;) :lol:
[/quote]

I love this excuse
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top