Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Pretty poor. No deposit contribution when every other competitor car would have at least 500 quid. I will soon find out if those are nailed on, because I won't be getting one otherwise! I know they quote a 500 quid offer if you test drive a car on the website. I would still want £1000 really.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It does seem to be a very damp squib launch, the whole thing looking very uncoordinated. At the heart of it to me is the inability to produce enough cars in a timely way so right now I'm not sure they can handle loads of orders without lond delays. This I'm sure will be born out by the delivery times for the build to order Ateca's that will be booked in August/September which will drift into early next year.
This launch was seen by many as a make or break for Seat, moving into the SUV market and adding badly needed new cars to the ageing product line. It's such a good car it deserved a better launch. Let's hope there is a light bulb moment and a quick reversal of the current offer with VW management allocating more materials and build capacity.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
A certain amount of disinformation about as well, from that broker site that knows that they can't sell them at that price that still show them at. That one is happy to get you to delay purchase so you buy from them later when they can source them and take a profit. My chief complaint is the one about reduced spec that is being offered to the UK against other European markets the enforced engine choice, upholstery and paint colours.

On the pre launch and taking orders against a possible deal that was always going to end in tears with Seat or potential buyers. I wouldn't enter a deal if I didn't know the actual price I was going to pay unless I was prepared to pay full price if a discount wasn't given. That's why I didn't order one since they didn't want to discount in dealers round here till the last period. Poor choice in upholstery e.g. no choice in the 4x4, meant I stopped and looked at the competitors offer irrespective of price to see if I could get something that I wanted rather than imposed, those leather seats.

PCPs I pass on them, like HP OK when you have a steady source of income but an issue when you don't. Having been self employed for many years I wouldn't have wanted a car on PCP knowing it wasn't yours if income dropped in the ups and downs. If you are self employed plenty of other devices to use to get cheaper motoring in any case. Bit like government and insurance, you don't insure if you have the assets.

I have a suspicion that VW probably isn't too bothered about the Seat UK market with Brexit issues coming on top of that and those currency rates will work through into cars in due time. So there will be plenty of complaints that PCP offers aren't good next year across manufactures.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Very good points as usual Tell. I have just had a frank discussion with my dealership about the pcp side of things. No discounts what so ever. And don't expect much better whichever way you pay this year. Very limited cars available this year. Next year may be different but if the car sells in good volumes (which they hope it may, especially based on reviews) then the deals may still be minimal. He likened in to the qashqui who for years had very few deals on brand new cars, and only recently got stronger now there is competition about.

In my situation now I have a quote for my first edition at 260 a month with a shade over 2 grand deposit over 4 years. I could easily exit at 3 years if the deals were about for a new one (or anything for that matter) but that's for the future. I can afford this thankfully. There is no deposit contribution and they may give me a little for my Mondeo. I an leaning towards being happy with that as long as I like the car in the flesh in August when the left hand drive import car does the dealership rounds. I looked at a kadjar that could bring my monthlys down by 20 quid and only tie me for 3 years. Wasn't as nicely specced though. But it didn't grab me like I suspect the Ateca will. You pays you money you makes your choice!

Demo cars available in September he has ordered 1.0 in orange. which is perfect for me!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Glad your happy with your deal. Told it's the residuals in three years time which slowed up their pricing of the PCP. The dealer that wouldn't play ball with me on a discount 12 years ago still won't play today so they won't be getting my business as they didn't 12 years ago.

Apparently on cash sales dealers don't know what the price is from Seat so the issue on discounting with some of them. PCPs for them is like selling a product that Seat has specified they probably can see their mark ups on that one. So obviously they went into the pre-sales without working up any of these figures.

So today I've knocked out a Seat dealer for the race for my business. Think the independents are more likely to play ball for cash business.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Honestly don't know what Seat are playing at here. You can get £3k+ off a top spec Kadjar, with better finance offers too.

Ok so the Renault is missing a couple of options you can have on the Ateca, like a power tailgate and Adaptive Cruise Control, but still, there's a big difference in price between the top spec Kadjar and top spec Ateca currently.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's all about supply and demand. If the demand out numbers supply them no deal. As I've indicated elsewhere I think that's the issue - supply. VW and its other companies use stock engines , gearboxes etc., etc., they are using these on new releases everywhere within the groups which is part of the story. The rest is the ability of the Skoda factory to make the new Ateca as well as the increased Skoda sales within its own group, the new Kodiak is also on the horizon.
Some of the Skoda deliverers are getting longer again, similar story.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It is definitely a supply issue, for whatever reason. There is just nothing available this year. The stock builds ready to order already in the system are very very limited. Next year may be better. But if people still want them at near or at full price then the price won't come down or be discounted. I'm sure the situation will be easier and more clear next year.

Where did you find 3k on the kadjar fox? Was that bought out right? Pcp wise I got a quote for a mid range one today where there was 1250 chucked in, near what I thought seat may have offered but no dice as I said.

I am going to weigh some more options up over next 48 hours but otherwise I am happy to take the hit for what I think will be a problem free and enjoyable 3-4 years worth of driving. (As long as I like the orange!!)

·
Registered
118 Posts
@Magpie86,
I made my decision awhile ago as I said on this forum. The extended wait for the spec I would have wanted seems now to be very much worse than the dealers had predicted. This is now being born out by the comments you and others are making. I still think the Ateca is and will be a great car but I decided to go for my third Yeti L&K with a bunch of options. I expect to have it for about two years when the Yeti II with be out and the Ateca will have been through a few build changes. I'll then look at the options and decide the way forward. I got such a good deal on the new car PX, trade in and discount that the deal was more than sweat enough to make the route work for me.
I hope you get the deal you want fingers crossed.

·
Registered
334 Posts
@ ernieb , Yeah I remember you mentioning you committed to the yeti pretty early on. Think you made the right choice. 2 years is not a long time in the grand scheme of things either. Skoda themselves will have more choice out by then like you said. And I am sure the Ateca will be offering better (by better I mean any!) discounts.

The more I look at my deal the happier I am. At the end of the day £1000 from seat would have probably shaved £10 off a month if that. Not a massive chunk. 4.9% apr is pretty reasonable looking about at deals online as well. I am having to do 4 years rather than 3 and a half but ultimately I could switch out after 3 years. The GFV was Not dramatically different between 3 and 4 so the "negative equity" issue on PCP deals won't be much of a factor in my final year anyway.

I am tempted to go up to skoda and look at the superb, I have seen they currently have deals on for the pcp. After driving the Mondeo I have come round a bit to the saloon/estate options, and apparantly the superb is the best in class at the minute. I think I am pretty set on the Ateca though :) No harm in looking around still though!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
The Skoda will have the same parts but a different shape. You stick to the Ateca Magpie we need someone to own one. Think Skoda owners were miffed when VW allocated build capacity to the Ateca rather than the Yeti MK 2. But it probably wasn't going to be built this year in any case ?. That's our factory you can't build a Seat in it type of thing. Whilst other people see Yeti design in the Ateca which is nonsense since the design teams are separate.

I've had Yetis out as hire cars which are always good to get the bags in. Not pretty cars mind you. The partner always complements the pulling power of the TDI. Probably the upgraded TDI engine on a manual compared with my DSG Altea, being able to stir the gear box. I refuse to drive a manual after getting on for 12 years in a DSG.

Thought I would give that fantasy broker another go last night since I did speak to one guy that presented OK but the general manager didn't and they still advertise discounts. Like Alice in Wonderland, perversely no Seat orders can be taken by dealers at the minute according to him. So pre sales aren't orders then. Think that company uses published fantasy prices as bookmarkers to get orders when they are in better supply. Hmmm so you can work out whether the trades description act applies to them. The bigger established brokers are holding back. I would guess their commissions would consume the discounts that dealers are prepared to offer at this time. One broker names their commission and Ateca discount, add the two together to get the discount you would get by dealing direct with that dealer. That's a ball park guidance figure.

Wonder what proportion of Seat Leon's are "sold" as PCPs against those bought without finance at launch and latter.

·
Registered
334 Posts
No worries tell. I am 95% on the Ateca! Ha. Last week of September/first week October I am sure I will post plenty of opinions and pictures. Like you say you can place build orders with a small deposit but can pull out when ever you want. I'm not signing anything until my test drive at a minimum.

I'm not that keen on the yeti shape either tbh. But it's undeniably practical. New shape will be interesting. I'm also interested how it plays out with the Kodiak, and how Seat adapt things for the smaller version of the Ateca. This is as big a car as I will ever want to go really, I can see myself stepping down to the smaller one in 4 years when I don't need such massive baby seats and prams. But then my kids all look like they are going to be tall so will have to see!! And we like camping so...

At a guess I would say a massive chunk of sales now days are pcp. But at launch its harder to say. Especially when the pcp is so poor at first glance, where people usually get drawn to the headline figure of deposit contributions and/or 0%apr.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Magpie86 said:
Where did you find 3k on the kadjar fox? Was that bought out right? Pcp wise I got a quote for a mid range one today where there was 1250 chucked in, near what I thought seat may have offered but no dice as I said.
Yes, bought outright via Broadspeed, a shade over £3k discount from list. A few months back you could get nearly £4k off but the broker discounts have come down a little, I assume as demand has increased with the Kadjar getting wider praise and so on.

It's a nice car. Sluggish, as you'd expect with those engines, and the cabin isn't as nice as my Golf Mk7, but it's reasonably refined, looks good with the 19" alloys, and comes with a decent amount of kit.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It was nice when I sat in the kadjar. But then I sat in a Leon and I did feel instantly it was better put together. Also looking at the Hyundai Tucson which has been getting some good early praise and I think looks nicer than the kadjar. Plus you get the crazy 7 year warrenty. Both could be bought cheaper than the Ateca no doubt.

But based purely as a complete package and taking the money side out of it I think the Ateca trumps them both, and is certainly the best looking in my opinion.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
It is a pretty car, the Ateca that is. My test post since the board had SQL errors.

I am a modeller by trade (management science) but I can't be bothered to track the 5% APR against other deals but I suspect Seat would be getting their currency pound shift back by upping the APR. 5% over three years does sound to me like a bit more than 10 percent the currency shift. Given that interests rates are very low. Service costs tend to be, warranty is thrown in if new. Probably bit off more than I can chew on taking on the merits of PCP.

Since I've now bought one cash I will now allude to my logic in not delaying any longer to buy one cash not verses PCP.

A. PCP deals are coming along now so dealers may not be chasing buyers so much
B. Official launch is soon, ditto more interest
C. Demo cars being punted out to generate interest, dealers may not be so hungry
D. Those exchange rates will come through even if you don't see them in the RRP they will be in discounts and PCP offers

Thus you can sit on the fence with your cash you might get a better discount subsequent in the next few months or PCP customers swamp the dealers so they aren't interested in discounting or Seat isn't. Combination, Seat at the minute. Come next year the currency fluctuations will kick in. The economy could be so bad the PCP guys will back off and Seat will discount. Doubt it. So I think there is a window of opportunity for cash buyers but as they say it can go up as well as down (for those that invest that is). That 10 percent cost pressure is going to appear at its full level at some stage it can't be completely absorbed.

If you are looking for dealers that want to play ball on discounts it will be the independents I reckon, the big ones play by Seat rules which don't include discounts at the minute. As for larger brokers they aren't doing business on the Ateca. Broadspeed has it's fantasy figures although those figures are now what you can get but not from Broadspeed. Autoebyte figures look about right £750+their discount less a couple of hundred is probably what you would get from a dealer playing ball.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I take it you got a decent enough deal then. I think you have put more research in then any of us so I don't think you will be sorry you have taken the plunge!

I think you may be right. I don't think discounting will go up much in next 6-12 months. Now or never on the deals so to speak.

I have the funds to buy cash but have no interest keeping the car past 4 years. If I ever want to do non pcp I will pick up a car that is 2 years old and then shift it on when I still have a few thousand in it. For me pcp is best because I want trouble free motoring at this stage in my life. I have a chunk set aside for our next house and don't want to blow it all on a car. Happy to pay the depreciation and then exit to something later and greater :) It is unfortunate I have fallen for a car that is brand spanking new! I think I will get over the lack of pcp wriggle room the moment I sit in one.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I'm not suppose to say what the discount is but it's short by a couple of hundred what those two broker sites are currently showing which isn't bad (given that one is a fantasy transaction they can't do) and I get to offload my existing Seat onto them in part exchange but this isn't in the figures yet since second hand values may change by then and I can always sell it using a different route. They seemed fair enough. I subscribed to Parkers for 24 hours to get a valuation. Will do that again at the point of part exchange. I don't think I want the mental turmoil of changing cars that often. I can get my life back and plan the next break. Oh to be retired.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ha fair enough. Don't think they minded me saying the pcp deals as any dealership would give you those, the website even did. Sounds like you did ok then:) Glad your recent mental turmoil has ended! I enjoy looking every 3 years :)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
It's about the same percent I got 12 years ago. The profit margins are tight on dealers, so the discounts kick in when the RRP aren't close to the actual price they pay. So the RRP figures become a fantasy price as the supplier drop the actual cost to the dealer. It's that figure I don't reckon will drop, they have a 10 percent pressure on that, so if the discount you expect in the future is 10 percent six months down the line, you won't get it. That's my logic so little point in holding back if making it as a capital purchase. Obviously discounts could pitch in, in the short term at a higher level then those currency pressures come back in. It's how they cover their financial uncertainty. Finance guys don't like uncertainties so I suspect 10 percent currency variation will eat up the future discounts on a like for like basis. Could be wrong. Demand we understand is high so six months down the road no real price change to the customer and RRPs could go up although they could just not alter those and just not give that discount that people traditionally expect. Probably the latter.

On PCPs they are like having a couple of Sky subscriptions and several mobile contracts you never notice them or perhaps you do when you think about it. If you buy a car outright that's your next big purchase after a property, traditionally and if you don't do it very often can be stressful since you intend to keep them for a while although others don't selling them on every three years. Traditionally I have customised mine a bit so wouldn't want to keep doing that every three years or so. If you are buying new, taking a hit on the initial deprecation, my logic is to keep them for most of their life or until they develop a fault and you get fed up with the issue. I can see that PCP contracts provide some fun for some people in changing their car every three years or so which is what some people always did in the past before these type of contracts got those initials.

I might raise to the occasion and try to unpick the Seat PCP offer against others or continue with holiday planning. I do suspect they have factored in the currency movements. The Ateca launch was always going to be effected by Brexit if the vote was out. I'm sure they cogitated on this one since they wouldn't have wanted to take many orders at prices that would not generate a profit. So interesting car launch at an interesting period.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.