Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im building a dockstation for my Iphone 6 so that it nicely can lay or sit in the dashboard tray and you don't need to fibble with the cable.
How do you all link your phone to the car ?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would like something to easily put my iPhone in place. Something a bit more robust and elegant than just the USB cable. Especially if I am not going to buy a wireless charging case, so will want it plugged in all the time. Not seen anything around I like yet.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Why can't you just use a short USB/Lightning cable? I have a 6" cable which I use in my Leon from the 12v socket in the armrest to the phone in the drinks holder. When I get my Ateca I will use the same cable to plug into the USB socket at the back of the phone bay. I can't think of a simpler or more elegant way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am using the wireless charging. It works brilliantly even through my phone's thick case.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ordered a Brodit + iPhone7 holder. Arrives tomorrow.

Something like this;

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Is 6" long enough ??

That is a serious question.i nearly bought one in the airport other day but wasn't sure where slots were in relation to tray at bottom :)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
It probably is for the mat area under the USB connections, fiddly perhaps. These stubby leads get thrown in with power packs. I bought a metre nylon one ready since I like to hold it up in front of my eyes for the hiking business and I don't like coiled leads since they pull on the connections. Also bought a two metre nylon lead so as to place the tablet on the rear floor connected to the upfront sockets for travelling. The nylon ones remain stout so are durable, can get them stripey as well for visibility.

On the phone, probably will keep the front USB in the car and plug in the micro usb. Looked at wireless but on hold at the minute.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Saggy said:
Is 6" long enough ??
I think so. If you look in the brochure the USB socket is right above the phone.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Saggy said:
I nearly bought one in the airport other day but wasn't sure where slots were in relation to tray at bottom :)
I can check if nobody else does before you get your car having a couple of these leads from said power packs. I'm in the country of gizmos at the minute, so I top up, my latest gives me 2x2amp + 1amp for holiday use, plus 2 metre and 1 metre cable to position the smartphone and tablet on the floor of rental cars in the middle. Minimises adapters, daisy chaining in a car socket.

Third one down. White. Seems to work OK.

http://www.rastabanana.com/list.html?cid=402002&keywords=&order=phigh&PHPSESSID=47542qemob65gl3lejm4lb2n20

I'm not a short usb cable guy myself preferring to keep devices powered up than running on their own battery when in use :).

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Thanks Fred

tell - I keep powered up at work etc but in car I want it charging but I won't be looking at it so bottom tray is fine for me

Despite being a woman who can multitask I don't use my phone in car (except on steering wheel shortcuts)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I will be using the bottom tray for the smartphone and rear seat floor for the tablet on long journeys using the cars screen / dash for display when travelling as Seat intended, like you Saggy. It's for those people that shy away from the integration of the smartphone or satnav to the car will a docking station come in. That may be they don't like the cars built in satnav / integration of the smartphone to the car, can't do it with their device, can't be bothered or have several cars and want to use what they feel comfortable with or are running different apps that can't be integrated or just like to see their pride and joy smartphone in a docking station.

There is the question of how the heated front windscreen effects those people that get this and shy away from the integrated satnav approach. Seat themselves use a satnav aerial on the rear roof assembly in this option, under the front dash if not. Yep, so I'm moving from having my smartphone on a sucker in the dash assembly running Copilot to using the cars built in system.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Fred99 said:
Saggy said:
Is 6" long enough ??
I think so. If you look in the brochure the USB socket is right above the phone.
I checked this yesterday in an Ateca. My lead is actually a 10cm lead and that is not quite long enough. There are some 10" leads available and they would be OK. I think I will go for a short coiled cable as the coiled bit should sit nicely at the back of the dock while allowing enough stretch to use the phone normally if needed without having to unplug it.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
10 centimetres =3.937 inches

1 - 14 of 14 Posts