Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new car on Saturday, coming from a 2014 Leon it's different extremely likeable but in a familiar way, will post photos soon.

One thing which is particularly poor is the boot light, when I say poor, practically non-existent, I have seen candles with more power!

Wondered what the advice and suggestions for improving light is? Seen a load of ' VW LED Luggage Boot Light White' units which appear the same size and simply a matter of swap out on eBay. But wondered if they would throw up any CANBus errors? Or would it be possible to take the existing unit apart and replace the bulb with a LED one?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - that looks interesting but some of the links to items on ebay no longer seem to ship to uk!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I'd take the bulb out, measure it then do a bit of researcher. More SMDS the merrier in a festoon light and look for reviews that don't mention Canbus issues. Then post up what works.

The Tiguan is 41mm so I'd guess the same.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I did that last night and took the Metal back cover... it's a W5W one. No wonder it was so dull!.

So I've ordered a LED smb 18 w5w bulb of eBay and will post if works, it is sold as canbus error free one. Very cheap!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I bought a new led on ebay - took to bits the unit and..... it blow the fuse on the whole inside lighting!!! when the whole lights went out on £23k car I went hot and cold!!!!

Drunk some strong coffee and then replaced the the fuse, (why on earth did SEAT place the fuse box behind the glove box?) bulb back in and all is good.

Think I will leave this alone for the time being, or buy a whole VW unit or a torch

·
Registered
979 Posts
jamesiow said:
Well I bought a new led on ebay - took to bits the unit and..... it blow the fuse on the whole inside lighting!!! when the whole lights went out on £23k car I went hot and cold!!!!

Drunk some strong coffee and then replaced the the fuse, (why on earth did SEAT place the fuse box behind the glove box?) bulb back in and all is good.

Think I will leave this alone for the time being, or buy a whole VW unit or a torch
yikes. Think I will leave well alone :shock:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bulbs I bought where listed as been "canbus" error free but not it seems, the saler did refund me.

I think I will look into one of the LED strips lights that a friend of mine fitted to his Volkswagen Amarok truck cab that I think are battery powered or wired in but they work!

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,
That seems a better one that i got! which was a fat bulb, but the person on ebay now has this!

"Postage: Doesn't post to United Kingdom | See details

Item location:
UK, United Kingdom

Posts to:
Europe See exclusions"

·
Registered
122 Posts
He posted to me ok just took about 4-5 days to receive and i'm in the UK. Once received you plug in using the correct adapter and the wire then allows you to clip the old light housing back in place but have the light panel stuck to the side of the boot wall

As per my original post though i did seem to get a weird fault when i had changed - the 4 interior headlining bulbs, the 2 visor mirror bulbs and the glovebox bulb to LED but not the boot one - it wasn't until i added the LED to the boot when the error stopped, My theory being that they run on the same circuit and don't like a "mix and match" between LED and non LED bulbs due to mixed resistance between bulbs.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Kindness71 said:
jamesiow said:

yikes. Think I will leave well alone :shock:
You are already LED thou on that one Kindness being Xcellence. One SMDS thou in that housing. That's why I started looking at it myself since even one LED was too dim. Then found it was LED and took it no further. If it was a bulb something different.

No issues with the FlashWolves reversing lamps thou.

(Fuse box not moved left to right cost saving although that may answer my legroom passenger issue that all those cars that dont swap the fuse box over may have the same legroom on the driver to passenger side... needs testing thou)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picked up my new car on Saturday, coming from a 2014 Leon it's different extremely likeable but in a familiar way, will post photos soon.

One thing which is particularly poor is the boot light, when I say poor, practically non-existent, I have seen candles with more power!

Wondered what the advice and suggestions for improving light is? Seen a load of ' VW LED Luggage Boot Light White' units which appear the same size and simply a matter of swap out on eBay. But wondered if they would throw up any CANBus errors? Or would it be possible to take the existing unit apart and replace the bulb with a LED one?
What I did is to fit a cheap sensor light (battery operated) as the boot is not open for long, works well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Which ligh5 did you buy? My boot light has never worked. I bought an LED replacement, popped ou5 the original - to find no wiring loom attached to it! Should get it sorted under warranty I suppose but a battery alternative would be useful in the meantime.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What I did is to fit a cheap sensor light (battery operated) as the boot is not open for long, works well.
There are many "stick up" led sensor lights available for just a pound or two. E-bay or even pound shops.the best to buy is some thing that looks or fit right for your boot. It would have been nice to just upgrade the original light, but with cars electrics being untouchable these day's I don't think it's a good idea to go there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts