Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm considering choosing an Ateca and the spec that makes the most sense is probably the 1.4 XCellence, however I'm put off by the compulsory rear tinted window glass. I can't really understand why this is so popular as it darkens the rear view and rear passenger view whereas I think of SUVs as being all about great all round visibility. I understand that it helps a bit with rear seat security/privacy but I tend to keep my gold bars in the boot and not in the back seats! Unfortunately you can't specify leather seats without the tinted glass which is annoying!

Anyone any views on whether they like or dislike the tinted windows and what it is like to live with.

Thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi,

I'm not keen on privacy glass either and It's a few weeks since I test drove the Xcellence but I don't recall it being all that dark when out on the drive. Other cars I've driven it's been more noticeable. Not sure how dark a tint SEAT use on the rear windows.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I was concerned originally. My two young boys suffer from car sickness and I thought the lack of light or being able to see out may make it worse.

However, although quite dark from the outside, from the inside there is only a very slight tint to the windows. It really doesn't bother them or me when looking out for parking or blind spots etc.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I was a little concerned about this, especially when combined with the darker headlining, but it's not been an issue. All round visibility is very good. The rear quarter lights are a good size. The only rear passenger I've had so far has been my mum, but she didn't have any problems.

·
Registered
328 Posts
It's not really dark at all inside and to be fair they don't even look that tinted from the outside in the flesh.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies. I'll try out the windows again in another Xcellence test drive. I'm sure we'd get used to them.

From a different viewpoint I actually think back tinted windows should be banned as they are a road safety hazard. If you are driving behind a car with privacy glass then you can't see through to the road ahead which is not good for general driver safety. Vans and lorries have no choice but standard cars should leave a view through.

But then those leather seats are tempting...

·
Registered
328 Posts
amuir said:
Thanks for your replies. I'll try out the windows again in another Xcellence test drive. I'm sure we'd get used to them.

From a different viewpoint I actually think back tinted windows should be banned as they are a road safety hazard. If you are driving behind a car with privacy glass then you can't see through to the road ahead which is not good for general driver safety. Vans and lorries have no choice but standard cars should leave a view through.

But then those leather seats are tempting...
I can't say I have ever felt the need to look through a car to the road ahead. If that is the case for you I would suggest you may be driving too close to the car in front.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe so - but if you are driving on a motorway or A road and there is an accident 2 cars ahead it gives you far better reaction time if you can see through rather than relying on the break lights of the car in front of you...

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
It's really mirror glass that reflects out when looking from the outside but once you are inside you don't notice it. The other stuff you see people doing which can be pretty illegal is having film plastered over the glass but that different. The privacy glass allows you to have some stuff in the back which you wouldn't really notice and hopefully people who want to nick stuff walk past. I like it. They would only get Aldi's toilet paper and tins of tomatoes in mine ;), but on holiday a car blanket tossed over stuff is useful together with the privacy glass.

·
Registered
979 Posts
amuir said:
Maybe so - but if you are driving on a motorway or A road and there is an accident 2 cars ahead it gives you far better reaction time if you can see through rather than relying on the break lights of the car in front of you...
I do know what you mean and do similar when in traffic queues, and now especially with start stop in the Ateca. I like to watch and get ready to move when the cars in front of the cars ahead break lights go out and they start to move. ;)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Kindness71 said:
amuir said:
I do know what you mean and do similar when in traffic queues, and now especially with start stop in the Ateca. I like to watch and get ready to move when the cars in front of the cars ahead break lights go out and they start to move. ;)
You'd see that anyway through an Ateca with Privacy glass as it really isn't that dark.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I like it, prev had a Ford with it, kids like it, and it pretty much was a desire on our new car when drawing up the short list.
Have to say the Ateca privacy glass is very subtle, hardly looks tinted from either inside or outside.. But works nicely both ways too..

·
Registered
189 Posts
Seeing through cars is the rationale behind central brake lights. I really like the tint, makes headlights on cars behind much less glaring

·
Registered
21 Posts
I brought the SE Tech model so had to specify the privacy glass as an option, I knew I would be disappointed because when I parked my Merc against the demo car the difference was noticable.
According to the light meter the Merc only lets 20% of light through and with the Ateca I could see straight through the car from one side to the other.
With the Merc you have to cup your hands around your eyes and be against the glass to see in, but from the inside seeing out is fine.
Once you get use to it driving the Ateca or any other car without tinted windows is noticeable and gives off a very light and airy feeling in car a bit like being in a gold fish bowel.
The Merc has TV screens in the headrests, but before I order 2 new Ateca headrests and cut them up to fit TV screens I'll have to seriously think about tinting the windows even more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts