Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've observed sometimes the rear cross traffic alert doesn't activate when engaging reverse. Had observed this around 7times so far since I got the Ateca. Had this for 2months now.

I usually just re-engage reverse again to ensure it activates.

Have you had any similar experience?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Nope. Mine works fine.

Check you have blind spot toggled on in the MFD, menu is via the steering wheel controls. The two systems are integrated. If you got BSD toggled off then I reckon RCTA won't work.

See page 224 of the November manual. You should get the mirror flashes on start up to confirm the system is working.

Failing that it's bust and off to the dealer. I know one person in the past had BSD turned off.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tell, it's on always. Everytime I turn the ignition to Run both BSD lights up momentarily and turns off meaning it's engaged.

This might have something to do with having a Manual gear box. I may have to record some video and send it to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
How do you know it isn't activating? I thought it just squarked at you and braked if it spotted something approaching from the side. I have never seen any sort of indication that it is on or not and so far haven't backed out into traffic to test it. Maybe mine's not activating either

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Fred, in engaging reverse you are displayed with rear view and top view. In the top view you see a transparent sort of rectangle on the rear camera. That will turn red or yellow when an oncoming vehicle or pedestrian is approaching. That doesnt come up sometimes when engaging reverse. Especially if going reverse few seconds after ignition start. I might upload photos or videos if I get a channce to see it again.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I don't have that feature, but I do have the basic rear camera. Sometimes the "Look. Safe to move?" message doesn't appear straight away if I've just turned on the car. I suspect there's variability in the start up of the infotainment system and it just needs a few moments longer before selecting reverse.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Neil, There's no issue with the camera. Most likely the ultrasonics has it. I tried waiting for it for a couple of seconds by keeping the reverse but it still didn't activate.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Have you tried sitting in a supermarket car park in reverse and whether you are getting any warnings as cars cross behind ?. The tail end has to be out a bit I'd say for that to work. Line of sight.

I can't say that I've noticed a message when I'm in reverse to say that its selected only the warble warnings when it picks somethng up and I think you get the red mark up on the screen to the side.

The other activation message you mention is the test on ignition so it's passing that.

For reference that's where the sensor is so it has to have line of sight to the car it's looking at.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Boy_kotong said:
Hi Neil, There's no issue with the camera. Most likely the ultrasonics has it. I tried waiting for it for a couple of seconds by keeping the reverse but it still didn't activate.
I might not have been clear. The camera comes on but the text labels don't. The first thought is the camera has been knocked out of position as you can see more number plate than usual.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Neil I know people keep talking about seeing the number plate, I see zero number plate. Either there are different cameras fitted to the rear or they are getting a hefty wack during cleaning or pressure hosed which you are not suppose to do. Think a pressure hose could push the lens in that's why the manual says don't use a pressure hose on the cameras. Other people say water drops on the camera give the weird views.... I dunno. Give it a wipe if you are seeing the number plate. I'd like to see a close up photo of the camera for comparison.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Boy_kotong said:
Hi Fred, in engaging reverse you are displayed with rear view and top view. In the top view you see a transparent sort of rectangle on the rear camera. That will turn red or yellow when an oncoming vehicle or pedestrian is approaching. That doesnt come up sometimes when engaging reverse. Especially if going reverse few seconds after ignition start. I might upload photos or videos if I get a channce to see it again.
Surely it only turns red or yellow when it has picked up something? If there is nothing there I would have thought that nothing would happen.

I have just tried it with my wife walking towards the car while slowly reversing and nothing happened, although it is hardly a definitive test. I will try it again next time I am in a car park. What I have used is the wide angle rear view option on the camera which gives a visual of anything approaching from the side.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
She's probably not metallic enough. I think you poke the back end out into trafic and see what you get :).

The electrical systems page has seven pages on the calibration of the blind spot / rear cross using fancy VW equipment. All that equip I do wonder whether your local Seat dealer has invested in it. The front radar and these side ones.

I only see read as I recall when it goes off on rear cross as something approaches.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Footnote.

Here's the VW video of the system for information

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Fred and Tell for the input.

I think it's more of a delay to activate the Rear Cross Traffic alert. I can almost replicate it all the time especially engaging reverse gear after ignition ON. I tried waiting for it, I think 8s and I can see that it gets activated. The risk there is if you reverse your Ateca immediately after ignition then you might think that the sensors activated but they were actually not.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Sure that 8 seconds isn't the boot up time on the self test after ignition ?.

I will see if I can observe it. Sure it's not if you select rear gear before its done the boot up test it then doesn't work or has a think..... That's possible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts