Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone impressed with the reversing lights.

I had to ask my wife to get out and have a look to see if they were working :x

·
Registered
979 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
ColR. said:
Anyone impressed with the reversing lights.

I had to ask my wife to get out and have a look to see if they were working :x
I thought I was just getting blind in my old age ;)

Not as good as some others over time but adequate... and a touch of the brakes now and then helps light things up lol

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yeah considering how bright the indicators are (made me swear a couple of times) the reversing light is dim, maybe just set too low considering the driving position?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Kindness71 said:
You have an alternative :D check out the thread I started

http://www.atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=637

Give it a try and let us know if it works :lol:
I had a quick read through the thread you mentioned, but couldn't see any actual recommendations regarding the reversing lights.

Is it just a case of a simple bulb replacement here, or are there other factors involved, as a nice bright reversing light is always good to have!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
It's just a bulb replacement with the one mentioned. I think for reversing it would be fine if you can get at those bulbs easily for DIY. To uprate the fog light brightness is questionable and ditto the indicators bearing in mind what our German friends were saying about the pulsating as indicators (like not working). Sort of job I'd give to my eldest deceased brother to do. Think I will leave it till I move to a rural area where there isn't street lighting.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks, but it is just the reversing light I am concentrating on at the moment, and as has already been mentioned there was an short piece in this week's Auto Express (page 84) to the effect that Ring have just introduced some filament style LED bulbs.

Of course, they may not currently offer the correct type, and it does say that if outside the car, then they are not legal for use on the road.

I am not sure if this would apply to reversing lights though, which are not 'driving lights', as such!

If however they are relatively easy to change, then I would have thought this would be a worthwhile exercise.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Page 96 & 97 of the manual shows the tail fog and reversing lights are both w16w whilst the front fog is different. The fitting is w16w but it's the bulb type that is variable so manufacturers are packaging led into the fitting. The German thread kept going on about whether they could be legally used for the purpose as people interjected into the conversation.

These Amazon ones give twice the brightness of standard bulbs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VANSSI-Reverse-Light-Vision-Improve/dp/B016HOT47C#Ask

The text also says they are designed for short use eg as reversing etc not left on else they overheat and will melt what's around them. Thus fog light use would be off, although I could throttle people with their fog lights use. I'm sure as reversing lights they are fine.

CAN Bus errors. The German thread mentioned these the Amazon advert does. Some cars give them but they didn't get them with the Ateca on the German thread or a Toureg with the ones fitted with the Amazon one reading the comments. You can fix CAN Bus errors with your ODB if any occurred.

This manufacturer claims can bus error free

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Car-Lights-Bulbs-Indicators/Tolighter-Lumens-Canbus-Chipsets-Backup-Reverse-Lights/B01GMEPNP4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1484911898&sr=1-1&keywords=w16w+led

Seem to be quite a choice on manufacturers probably cheaper off ebay etc or your favourite bulb company.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Fun story: we had a headlight assembly replaced under warranty by Fiat on the Multipla, because water got in the alarm system and it kept working the indicator bulb, which then died, and when I went to change the bulb I couldn't get it out, because the housing had melted.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Been looking at this again. The reversing lights are under the easy to open cover in the tailgate lid. It just slides off left on the left, right on the right. Reversing light the left bulb on the left.

Manual talks about undo tabs or turning to left. Must mean dependent on bulb. Think this is an anti clockwise turn. Welcome for any mechanical minded people to try the movement for me. Then the holder must drop down and the bulb comes out. Feel free to practice the motion for me :).

Now comes to the bulb. Our German friends are fitting these:

https://www.amazon.com/MHtech-Lumens-Extremely-Reverse-Chipsets/dp/B01LWMJSU0

MHtech bulbs in this size are not sold in the UK. Others have less apparent elements on them if you look around including the one I referenced much further up. I think the MHTECH one is sold as Flashwolves in the UK. Thinking replicate what our German Ateca friends have done on their reverse lights which seemed to work fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Car-Lights-Bulbs-Indicators/Tolighter-Lumens-Canbus-Chipsets-Backup-Reverse-Lights/B01GMEPNP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1485107177&sr=8-1&keywords=FlashWolves+921+912+W16W+T15+T10+45SMD+Chipsets+LED+Canbus+Error+Free+Bulbs

It's also on eBay UK

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/FlashWolves-921-912-W16W-T15-T10-45SMD-Chipsets-LED-Canbus-Error-Free-Bulbs-For-/192079727720?nav=SEARCH

One review said they were easy to damage during fitting... so that's a warning. Others reviews very positive. These are 45 piece led bulbs.

Right well I'm highly likely to buy these from either supplier and I'm hoping I won't hit an issue in getting the bulb out. Anybody else ordered any. VW Dunn or Mcderm or Kindness like to try out the documented removal method in the meantime. The twist turn action.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Job Done !.

One or two notes if they trapped the wire in the bracket loosen up the nut to free the wire, one side was fine the other side it was trapped. I took the holder out, the bulb fell out inside the cover above my head, I flicked it with the front door key and caught it. I then loosened the nut which I should have done before I started to free the wire that was trapped.

I bought two sets incase I broke one putting them in. Didn't. You can put the car in reverse and walk round the back... Probably not to be encouraged.

Pictures: bottom old and new bulbs side by side, what they look like switched on and off. No Cambus errors so all is good.

It's easy peasy.... I used the FlashWolves ones which I think are the MHTECH ones are friends in Germany have been fitting, that's covered in my previous post. So if UK based order the FlashWolves or MHtech if on the continent, I pass on Ireland.

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
I new you would do it :D top work Tell. Glad to know no errors were picked up as did see mention of that happening due to different power running through them. :D

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I must say I got a bit concerned when the old bulb fell off in the light cover above my head. It was the robots fault they had tucked the lead into the bracket and tightened the nut.

They are sold as "Canbus Error Free Bulbs" so you can assume that some aren't. The rest of the text is a bit of a jumble in the advert, possibly lost in the Chinese translation. They are the only ones with all the elements on them same spec that were being sold so must be the MHTECH ones. Going to look at them in the dark soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looking good Tell.
Would like to do this, but I am afraid that I would fuck up something, as I am clumsy as possible as man can be.
Is the light now much much brighter? Ofc, only matters in the night.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Djotun they are pretty bright. Just been to check them. Probably give out as much light as the front DLR on a full LED Ateca (think the technically minded may check this). The brightness is suppose to be twice what came out.

It is fairly easy to swap them out. The trim slides off either side. The reversing light is at the end. Anti clockwise turn and pull down. But if the wire is trapped undo the nut in front of you and pull it out, do the nut back up. Bulb pulls out. Push new one in, don't break the LEDS and don't get statically charged when handling them. They don't click into position just stop, you see them hit a buffer in the holder, reverse. They only go back in so they are vertical as picture, if not rotate. They don't have a polarity. Switch on engine and check for error codes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will probably give it a try, if I ever receive my Ateca :D
Last update for a provisional build week is week 7, it was week 3 ten days ago. Ordered on 1. October

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Think you will have it by March then perhaps.... week 7, hmmm, end of March / start of April perhaps....

Notice the pure white light in the pictures not a hint of warm tones... I could see things were pretty bright through the rear camera.

·
Registered
27 Posts
April would mean 6 months waiting :shock:

I received letter from my dealer yesterday, a lot of bullshit like how there is enormous number of orders, how Seat did not expected this kind of success, how Ateca won some awards, how they had 30k orders before production even start, and so on.. And now they ask for my patience and promise that the car will be worth waiting and that they hope that it could be delivered in first half of March. Long time ago their salesman sad to me that Seat's center for Bavaria is close to that small city where they operate and that usually time from factory to them is two weeks. Could be sales talk, who knows, I cannot find that on google, but I will tear them a new one if I do not get car until the end of March.
Living here without a car is dreadfully.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts