Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my Ateca on order with fitted roof bars. Weirdly I've never had roof bars so no experience using them. I don't think I'd want them on all the time as any need for them will be sporadic so does anyone know if these are easy to take off and put back on?
I also have a bike holder coming and assume their is some kind of clip system for that and was hoping the bars are also easy to clip on/off ?
Any advice would be welcome ?
Bill

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello

I am waiting for my car to be delivered, told it is awaiting shipping.

Anyway I have purchased a set of Seat roof bars as I did not like the system that Thule now use. The Seat bars have the same size slots to take T bolts from the cycle racks as Thule. The bars lay on the cars roof rails and a hinged section is hinged up under the rail and held in place with an off centre catch. Finally a plastic cover is slid over the catch and locked on. I await the car to actually fit the bars but they look good and should be very secure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there
That sounds reasonably simple even for me , so many thanks for your response & help
Bill

·
Registered
328 Posts
So to confirm, Thule bike holders will fit on the Seat bars?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The photos were very helpful as us the news that other bike carriers will fit, I'm assuming that other things like roof boxes are also made to fit various roof bar models
Cheers
Bill

·
Registered
328 Posts
Looking at getting roof bars again. Does anyone know the length of the Seat bars?

Thule say you need 127cm but I have the chance to obtain some 120cm ones and was wondering if they fit?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi David,
Pic shows my car with Thule wing bars 127cm and Thule 775 footpack, which gives a bit of overlap each side, but not sure how much. Bars not on car at present as I remove them post bike ride. They do affect mpg in situ. If you want exact measurements ,I can check next time they are on. I remove as one unit with bike racks attached, which only takes about 10 mins.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
SamW said:
Hi David,
Pic shows my car with Thule wing bars 127cm and Thule 775 footpack, which gives a bit of overlap each side, but not sure how much. Bars not on car at present as I remove them post bike ride. They do affect mpg in situ. If you want exact measurements ,I can check next time they are on. I remove as one unit with bike racks attached, which only takes about 10 mins.
Thanks, I've bought the 120cm bars and looking at that picture they should be ok, it looks as though there's more than 3.5cm showing each side.

PS is that Derby County's training ground I can see in the background? :p

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ok, so to update, my 120cm roof bars came earlier than expected today. I put the rear one on within minutes and it fit with plenty to spare on each side. Now the front was a different story. Unbeknown to me, the Ateca roof rails do not run parallel. They look like they do when looking at them from directly in front or behind, however I can confirm they don't! I couldn't fit the front roof bar on right at the front of the rail. Pushing the bracket to the outermost point of each side of the bar, they sit about 15cm away from the most forward point if the roof rails and won't go any further as the Ateca rails get wider. I measured the gap between the Ateca roof rails at the front and the rear and there is over 10cm differance, so fairly substantial.

As I'm using mine for bike holders, it is absolutely fine for me as there is still lots if space in between the two roof bars for stability and you can position one of the bike holder clamps anywhere along the bike holder so it will fit on regardless. However I'm not sure how other things fit on such as roof boxes. I'm guessing a small one might go on but I might be restricted with a larger one, but again, I'm not sure of the flexibility of the fixing systems so can't say for sure.

In summary, they fit, just!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Excellent news, glad you're sorted!
Yes to your last question. There are some very flash motors coming in and out of the training ground but none of the players have yet upgraded to an Ateca!

·
Registered
328 Posts
SamW said:
Excellent news, glad you're sorted!
Yes to your last question. There are some very flash motors coming in and out of the training ground but none of the players have yet upgraded to an Ateca!
Can't believe I haven't spotted your car yet, I've sat in the daily 5pm queue of traffic on that road many a time in the last few months!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the genuine Seat roofbars and have had no problems with bike racks or a topbox.
One just has to remember that the gap from the edge to the clamp will be greater at the front so that the rack or box are perfectly straight...
I recall 20mm each side, but may be wrong - senility, you know....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi There,

I have just bought a 2018 Ateca which has the OEM roof bars fitted but the dealer's said the previous owner lost the keys.

They enquired to their parts department about getting spares but they apparently said they dont do any and to just drill the locks out if we need them off. This is a bit of a poor excuse i think but does anyone know if i can get a spare key ordered and if there is a part number/key number on the bars that i can use to get a set ordered?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Jnpeden1 said:
Hi There,

I have just bought a 2018 Ateca which has the OEM roof bars fitted but the dealer's said the previous owner lost the keys.

They enquired to their parts department about getting spares but they apparently said they dont do any and to just drill the locks out if we need them off. This is a bit of a poor excuse i think but does anyone know if i can get a spare key ordered and if there is a part number/key number on the bars that i can use to get a set ordered?
The locks on roof bars and boxes are pretty basic and can usually be picked easily...
we went to the beach last year on holiday, I loaded up our roofbox then locked it and left the key in the caravan, at the beach I picked the lock on the roofbox in about 20seconds with an unfolded paperclip..

·
Registered
25 Posts
The lock may have a number code on it ie. N123 if so it's a asd of working out manufacturer and ordering replacement keys to match the number £4-5 ish.
The seat rear bike rack is a rebadged Thule unit and possibly roof rack system is Thule also - matching keys are easy to buy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone,

New to the forum but have purchased a 2019 fr sport I pick up on Saturday.

It appears I'm to late to order the seat bars, was wondering if anyone has experience with the Thule 9585 wing bar edge? How they fit and how they look on the car. The idea being the wing bar edge doesn't have the overhang of the standard bars

Looking to get the set up and cycle carrier, full wing bar and cycle carrier is around £300 but prepared to pay if it's a good fit.

Thanks in advance

David

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.