Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know cars now are so different with different high tech lubricants and oils. Obviously with a new engine running in there is going to be components interacting with each other and used in earnest for the very first time. Has anyone been told to have an oil change after so many miles I haven't but just curious if others have already or have been told to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Dangermouse,

Definitely no need to carry out an early oil change. However, having said that if you did change the oil, it can only be beneficial, so if it makes you feel better - do it! What I've done on my Ateca is change the service inteval from the long life service it was originally set at, to the standard service interval as I usually only do around 12,000 miles a year.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Sorry if this goes slightly off-topic but it's something I just learned and may be of interest.

I had my Clio serviced last week - it's 1st annual service. Basically the car is checked out, pollen filter changed, but an oil change IS NOT part of the scheduled service. The Oil change comes in at 2yr or 18,000 miles - whichever comes first. I'm really struggling to find any major problems reported with the Renault engine in my car.

Nissan Qashqai on the otherhand has an annual service (where there's an oil change) - 12mth or 18,000 which ever occurs first. The Renault sourced 1.2petrol turbo is reported to have suffered all sorts of mechanical problems - not oil related tho.

So the car that potentially goes 2yr without an oil change suffers no probs, the car that goes 1yr suffers major problems?

My previous car didn't recommend exceeding 3000rpm for the first 1000 miles. IMO that's the most sensible advice of the lot. I stick to the manufacturers recommendation. As per my previous car, I think being gentle with your engine in the early days (minimise revs - minimise short journeys etc) is way more important than an early oil change if you want to preseve long-term reliability.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Whilst mine came defaulted to the long service interval I'm going with annual / 10,000 miles as I mentioned elsewhere.

Up to about 25+ years ago or something you had to get the oil changed at 600 miles or so as the first service. Then manufacturers altered to 10,000 - 12,000 miles or year, now 20,000 miles or two years is common. That's the bone of contention of whether 20,000 / two years is far too long for a check up and service. We move onto vested interests and manufacturers keeping in step.

The longer service intervals as I understand it from 600 miles for the first to 10,000 are achieved by the engines being better manufacturered and pre run in so bits of loose metal aren't flying around. Seem to recall they use to come with different running in oil in the old days for that first 600 miles which was often free. Least it was on my Uno.

Good old Honest John says ignore the long service interval of 2 years / 20,000 miles keep to the annual which I'll be doing.

·
Registered
579 Posts
My other half has just bought a new petrol Mini One and there's no Run In service on that either. I think you'll find the same on all new cars now. The days of draining the oil after a 1,000 miles and finding a clump of metal filings on the magnetic sump plug are well gone. Modern cars are so well engineered that there are no rough edges to rub off or ill fitting piston bores to wear down. In fact, these days, new engines are so precise and tight that it can take several thousand miles to loosen up. My current Mitsubishi ASX was hitting 20,000 miles before it really loosened up. Top Gear did a drag race between a new Golf GTI and an older one with 50,000 miles on the clock. The older one kicked the others butt.

I'm in the annual / 12,000 mile service camp now. My previous Audi A3 had a combination of annual and long term services and, to be honest, the 2.0 FSI petrol engine still seemed to run as good as new when I got rid off it at 100,000 miles. Picked it up after its first long term service at 18,000 miles.

I agree with Golfmk56 that you just need to take it easy on the engine, gearbox and brakes for the first month or so. The problem I have is that, if my Ateca arrives on time, it will be just before our annual blast up the A14 / M6 from Suffolk to the Lakes District. I don't fancy taking it easy up the M6 because it would take forever, and the brakes take a roasting around the Lakes. I'm sure I could muddle by being in the Ateca instead ;)

·
Registered
979 Posts
I followed the running-in info from manual below :D

Font Screenshot Document Parallel Number

Also interesting part about engine oil. Mine indicates it doesn't need new oil until at 20k miles :)

Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Document

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
That's handy to see Kindness. Having never had a brand new car before, I've always skipped that part. To be honest though, whilst I've tried to stick with the correct oil on long service intervals, on annuals service cars they have often been filled with a cocktail of different, but quality, oils without any disastrous consequences. My Audi and BMW being prime examples that both hit 100,000 miles with minimal top ups.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Kindness that really helps as being a new owner you have some much info to digest it is easy to overlook certain aspects. Plus sometimes the manual can lack a little clarity and its easier when you are able to sit in the car and work it out from the display etc.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Footnote. I don't think any of you on the thread have a diesel DSG but reader may have. Honest John use to say give it some welly else the engine will never run in since the DSG keeps the revs down. I use to do that with my first DSG on new town roundabout systems in sport mode every two weeks late at night during the run in period, unregulated roads apart from 70. He also advises about keeping out of ECO on SCR again since the engine doesn't go into the SCR mode.

Mine I basically keep in normal mode but it has enough snarls on pickups to run it in with the higher revs I reckon. This was a DSG diesel issue where he was finding readers loosing oil since their engines were never run in correctly and the SCR issue where ECO prevents it running during normal driving. Obviously with this type of advise you never know whether they have engineered it for a particular model these days. I find ECO too weird in the DSG I keep out of it, in anycase.

·
Registered
283 Posts
What oil is recommended for the diesel DSG? Mobil 1?

Also isn't there a need to replace the transmission fluid periodically? The DSG in my GTR needs that done annually or immediately after any ready heavy (track day) use

·
Registered
192 Posts
My comments are based on four and a half years with a Skoda Yeti 2.0 DGS. I did 11,000 a year and had done 49,000 when I traded it in.

It was set to variable service from the start and I took it in when service due warnings came up. The first one was at 18,000 miles and the second at 37,000. The service due alert is triggered by an oil analyser. If transmission fluid or anything else needed doing I assume it was done at the service, although I don't recall anything like that.

The car ran perfectly and like most diesels it got better the more I drove it. Modern technology means we don't have to suffer the inconvenience or expense of annual trips to the dealer. I can't see any reason not to take advantage of this.

·
Registered
931 Posts
DSG4WD said:
I can't see any reason not to take advantage of this.
'
Totally agree, but there are some people who wish to live in the past.

Just think on it for a moment... All those different maufacturers, all using different engine designs in their range, using different materials, the engines work in different atmospheric environments and all used under different loads. An no matter if it's a 0.9 3 cyl turbo, 1.5l non-turbo petrol, a 2.0tdi, a 4.0tdi, a straight-six or a v8 - you'll always have someone dictate to you that every engine should be treated exactly the same! It's quite insane when you think about it.

Tell said:
Footnote. I don't think any of you on the thread have a diesel DSG but reader may have. Honest John use to say give it some welly else the engine will never run in since the DSG keeps the revs down...
'
You left out the bit where HonestJohn tells his readership not to go near a DSG with a barge pole, that he constantly criticises VW group engines and to the best of my knowledge, whenever anyone asks him to recommend a car, he never mentions any VW group products.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
You left out the bit where HonestJohn tells his readership not to go near a DSG with a barge pole, that he constantly criticises VW group engines and to the best of my knowledge, whenever anyone asks him to recommend a car, he never mentions any VW group products.
Useful and helpful clarification, Golkmk56. Thanks. Members have a right to know complete information to help them decide on the right course of action for themselves.
I tend just to give new cars an "easy"'first 1000 miles on the revs front; always change the oil/filters every 10,000 miles, but only follow "service" items other than oil & filter with the same as manufacturers recommendations. It has always worked for me & "touch wood" I've never had any significant failures as a result; only my A3 earlier this year with a failed EGT sensor, but a common fault, I'm told & from internet research. :D

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
Ah wet and dry. The 7 speed is fine. 12 years ago he waxed lyrical about DSGs then VW goofed. What he does say is get the fluid changed. As far as I know my 6 speed DSG on my Altea was never changed, never went wrong and was excellent. It was serviced to Seat spec.

The 7 speed Ateca is fine so far is behaving well, best to pull away with a light foot. It's much snappier on changes which I put down to processors running faster these days rather than mechanics so it doesn't dither thinking as the Altea would. The curse of people not indicating on roundabouts, power on, brake, start again isn't so hessitent. Not at all really. According to a US VW mechanics sites it's the processor delay in working out what you are asking it to do creates the effect.

It's all here

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/68796/has-volkswagen-sorted-all-of-the-dsg-issues-

Yeah so fine but recommends three year change.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Did you read to the bottom Tell?

He actually recommends a diff marque

I recommend the less efficient but far more reliable five-speed and six-speed torque converter automatics fitted by Honda and Mazda and even own one myself.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I know he's been going on about the Jazz etc for sometime. But then as far as the DSG is concerned he's now happy with it as long as the fluids are changed. You got to remember he's getting old ;).

I like the reassuring clunk of VAG doors rather than tinnie Asian cars. You probably pay for it thou in reliability. But the bodies feel more solid.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I forgot you take the bits that suit each time to make your comments fit

Silly of me to even try discuss

·
Registered
918 Posts
Saggy said:
I forgot you take the bits that suit each time to make your comments fit

Silly of me to even try discuss
This occurred to me today whilst I was snoozing in the bath 🛀 , mulling over the last 24 hrs postings, particularly.
Sums things like this up nicely for me now ;)
I haven't read Orwell since I was in early years at Secondary school......

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublethink

1 - 18 of 18 Posts