Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What did any of your dealers say?

just don't go in the red for x miles?

or drive like a saint for a year?

any difference between the regime for petrol and diesel?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
Saggy said:
What did any of your dealers say?

just don't go in the red for x miles?

or drive like a saint for a year?

any difference between the regime for petrol and diesel?
Hi Saggy :D

Kept ours in ECO mode on the drive profile for first 1,000 miles
Kept revs always below 2,500 (but we're a manual box)
Easy on the brakes & tyres for 500 miles to let them bed in & treads to wear top surface
Just being careful; car has returned total mpg of 50 on that

:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you

isn't I want to be a maniac or anything

just a few places on way to work I floor it to get by lorries................. that then catch me up at the roundabout so not sure why I bother really :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
Dougie said:
Already run in I was told.
So they say, Dougie ! But TBH the engines are built with such fine tolerances that it's always helpful to let them bed in; ours only had 10 miles on the clock, and not every one is road tested before they leave the factory. No harm in being careful; but now going to go and run the @rse of ours up the local hills :p :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
maybe I can compromise on 500 miles lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
so no full throttle from dealer to home? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
I don't really think it's the kind of car you need to drive like a loon, just relax, take it easy and enjoy. :)

Alternatively, drive it like you stole it! Life's to short! :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Dougie said:
Alternatively, drive it like you stole it! Life's to short! :twisted:
sound like how my wife drive every time she takes the leon on work :eek:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
I hate to say this Saggy it's in the manual, it says keep power below x percent etc etc as I recall. I'm ignoring it since I won't be running it hard. I got some autobahn next week I could let rip on but won't. Going to be about 80 mph and if you use DSG you won't be over revving it rather than the paddles. Honest John doesn't like ECO since it stops the DPF recycling in normal use. I might try ECO on the cruising legs. Keep out of Sport. I've never really used it on my old car, needless high revs annoyed me.

You are also suppose keep an eye on the oil level since the engine becomes better sealed with use. My old TDI got 1/2 litre at about 1,000 miles. Topping up with the VW certified oil as per the manual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Tell said:
I hate to say this Saggy it's in the manual, it says keep power below x percent etc etc as I recall. I'm ignoring it since I won't be running it hard. I got some autobahn next week I could let rip on but won't. Going to be about 80 mph and if you use DSG you won't be over revving it rather than the paddles. Honest John doesn't like ECO since it stops the DPF recycling in normal use. I might try ECO on the cruising legs. Keep out of Sport. I've never really used it on my old car, needless high revs annoyed me.

You are also suppose keep an eye on the oil level since the engine becomes better sealed with use. My old TDI got 1/2 litre at about 1,000 miles. Topping up with the VW certified oil as per the manual.
Tell, you might even find that elusive 7th gear!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
I found it on Monday, I booted up on a 2 mile stretch and 7th appeared. Maybe I had been in 7th before. It gets its motorway first journey next week as well. I couldn't see the point of needlessly taking it on a motorway for fun. Given its like my old car apart from the seats !.... forgetting all those new gizmos on it, handles like.

The panoramic roof is a success since I was worried about extraneous light coming through the blind which is a distraction during driving when you don't want it, a side effect of the all black interior meant the blind isn't opaque. I suspect dare I say different seat colour would have lead to a lighter interior and a translucent blind.

The heated windscreen is also a success. Now I have the mirrors are on the Saggy position I'm expecting big things.

Back to Saggy's question, you should check the oil level at about every 1,000 miles or so during the period. The Altea I took abroad two days after I had it and I called into a VW garage in Germany for oil since it was dropping down. It was given Germanic loving care, that's when it got a 1/2 litre put in it, got a free velcoes oil holder kit with the garage name on it. I've put that to use on the new car given the lack of understorey space in the 4WD. Must say different oil, need that DPF friendly stuff. I had to do top ups on the Altea several times on trips abroad . If you are thrashing them they loose oil. New engines loose oil. I do a check at the half way point on European trips. That will include clean the cameras now if not more often.

Two things I still haven't tried park assist and traffic assist, can't have all the excitement in one go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
So what's the advice on warming up and bedding in the engine?

I'll be having the 1.0 SE Ecomotive from Monday and I don't plan on thrashing it around.
I guess it's probably don't go over 3000 revs for the first 1000 miles?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Page 184 of the manual covers all types

Running-in the engine
A new vehicle should be run in over a dis-
tance of 1500 km (1000 miles). For the first
1,000 km the engine speed should not ex-
ceed 2/3 of the maximum permissible engine
speed. In doing so, do not accelerate at full
throttle and do not drive with a trailer! From
1000 to 1500 km (600 to 1000 miles) you
can gradually increase the engine rpm and
road speed.

During its first few hours of running, the in-
ternal friction in the engine is greater than
later on when all the moving parts have bed-
ded down.

How the vehicle is driven for the first 1,500
km influences the future engine perform-
ance. Subsequently, also drive at a moderate
rate, especially when the engine is still cold:
this will lead to less engine wear and tear
and will prolong its useful life.

You should also avoid driving with the engine
speed too low. Change down to a lower gear
when the engine no longer runs "smoothly".
If the engine revs too much, cut fuel injection
to protect the engine.
So say 132 mph is max speed, don't go above 88 MPH, no full throttle and keep out of ECO, I surmise from that. ECO being a too low gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tell said:
Page 184 of the manual covers all types

So say 132 mph is max speed, don't go above 88 MPH, no full throttle and keep out of ECO, I surmise from that. ECO being a too low gear.
so sport mode at 87 mph it is then ;) :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
918 Posts
Tell said:
Page 184 of the manual covers all types

Running-in the engine
A new vehicle should be run in over a dis-
tance of 1500 km (1000 miles). For the first
1,000 km the engine speed should not ex-
ceed 2/3 of the maximum permissible engine
speed. In doing so, do not accelerate at full
throttle and do not drive with a trailer! From
1000 to 1500 km (600 to 1000 miles) you
can gradually increase the engine rpm and
road speed.

During its first few hours of running, the in-
ternal friction in the engine is greater than
later on when all the moving parts have bed-
ded down.

How the vehicle is driven for the first 1,500
km influences the future engine perform-
ance. Subsequently, also drive at a moderate
rate, especially when the engine is still cold:
this will lead to less engine wear and tear
and will prolong its useful life.

You should also avoid driving with the engine
speed too low. Change down to a lower gear
when the engine no longer runs "smoothly".
If the engine revs too much, cut fuel injection
to protect the engine.
Tell - ECO drive profile really only affects the engine response to the fly by wire throttle position; in other words it won't directly affect RPM just by being selected in its own right as the driving profile. RPM's - That comes down to chosen speed and gears selection (which can still be manually in DSG) If anything, the fact that throttle response is reduced in ECO mode is helpful for initial bedding in, I'd think. It will also not adversely affect DPF cleaning because that takes place above certain RPM's and engine temps, both of which are perfectly achievable in ECO mode. :D

So say 132 mph is max speed, don't go above 88 MPH, no full throttle and keep out of ECO, I surmise from that. ECO being a too low gear.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
It is the Telegraphs Honest John writer who tells people on his problem pages to keep out of ECO for the sake of the DPF. Probably the mixed diet is good.

No I'm on autobahns next week with unrestricted so I could take it up to 132 if I wanted. We do cruise at 100 MPH on long trips in Germany, you get the X which in this country means 70 MPH, Germany infinity if your car can do it. Only going 50 - 70 miles into Germany this time of year, I know its unrestricted once you leave Luxembourg. They literally fill up their Jerry cans at the border since fuel is taxed much lower in Luxembourg to Germany, load up with coffee (ditto) then hurl themselves past you on the road out.

You don't stay on the outside lane without frequent mirror checking else you get a big vehicle on your tail. They tend to knock off early Friday afternoons so the big autobahn race of sporty cars kicks off. The autobahns were built for the Blitzkrieg so they sort of end quickly and in odd places, then you are off on another one.

I might take it up to a 100 and report back. My DPF cleaning with the heated method kicked in at 210 miles which would have been the first, following that 200 - 300 mile rule. I probably won't bother with ECO unless on a long motorway run. I never do manual DSG changing except once a year when I decend a valley into a town and I need low as the traffic backs up. The partner could moan if they were driving in ECO as not being responsive enough. It's they that speed on autobahns when I fall to sleep.

I think the reality is with a DSG running in isn't really an issue if you drive in automatic mode in normal mode since it shouldn't be over revving the engine, but a bit of brut running is good rather than tickling it. That's why the manual reads a bit strange. My old Altea was fine and did the same trip at the same age and ran in fine. The only thing is the oil checking during the running period.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Tell said:
It is the Telegraphs Honest John writer who tells people on his problem pages to keep out of ECO for the sake of the DPF. Probably the mixed diet is good.

No I'm on autobahns next week with unrestricted so I could take it up to 132 if I wanted. We do cruise at 100 MPH on long trips in Germany, you get the X which in this country means 70 MPH, Germany infinity if your car can do it. Only going 50 - 70 miles into Germany this time of year, I know its unrestricted once you leave Luxembourg. They literally fill up their Jerry cans at the border since fuel is taxed much lower in Luxembourg to Germany, load up with coffee (ditto) then hurl themselves past you on the road out.

You don't stay on the outside lane without frequent mirror checking else you get a big vehicle on your tail. They tend to knock off early Friday afternoons so the big autobahn race of sporty cars kicks off. The autobahns were built for the Blitzkrieg so they sort of end quickly and in odd places, then you are off on another one.

I might take it up to a 100 and report back. My DPF cleaning with the heated method kicked in at 210 miles which would have been the first, following that 200 - 300 mile rule. I probably won't bother with ECO unless on a long motorway run. I never do manual DSG changing except once a year when I decend a valley into a town and I need low as the traffic backs up. The partner could moan if they were driving in ECO as not being responsive enough. It's they that speed on autobahns when I fall to sleep.

I think the reality is with a DSG running in isn't really an issue if you drive in automatic mode in normal mode since it shouldn't be over revving the engine, but a bit of brut running is good rather than tickling it. That's why the manual reads a bit strange. My old Altea was fine and did the same trip at the same age and ran in fine. The only thing is the oil checking during the running period.
Is it getting late or is it just me?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Have another cup of coffee.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top