Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done about 800 miles in the Ateca and I've noticed there is a quite a bit of rust which you can see through the alloy on the wheel hub.

Is anyone else found the same? It's annoying me looking at it!

I've read from a few other forums that it's completely normal and not much you can do about it.

Is there any prevention techniques?

I can post pictures later if required

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yeah, pictures would be good please!

My question is, is it:

• Actual rust residue/deposits
  • Brake dust (or, more likely the worn off rust from the brake discs after sitting out in the damp a few days
  • Corrosion on the rims itself

Just trying to picture what it looks like or what it could actually be :geek:

G

·
I would guess that it's part of the brake disc that you are seeing. On most cars these are mild steel and rust quickly.
On other cars I've owned I've taken the wheels off, cleaned off the rust and painted that part (do not paint the actual disk where the pads push onto) and it looks so much better.
Not taken delivery of my Ateca yet so I can't 100% say this is what you are seeing but I bet it is.

Edit: Like this picture (picture from another type of car) ?

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks terrible, not sure if it is normal or not.

I can't ever remember noticing it on previous cars

G

·
Yep that's normal for most cars.
It's because the wheel is so open that you can see it.
Wheels off and paint it (silver probably) and it will look good.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Par for the course with VW group cars in my experience! My A3 and Polo were the same; wheels off and silver Hammerite on the hubs, after a good clean & rub down :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mines does seem bad though.

I took it to one of they hand clean places as the car got really dirty and needed it cleaned quickly. I wonder if it's the stuff they spray on the wheels that caused it.

G

·
Scott1988 said:
Mines does seem bad though.

I took it to one of they hand clean places as the car got really dirty and needed it cleaned quickly. I wonder if it's the stuff they spray on the wheels that caused it.
It's not really bad. I had a Zafira Tourer sri with alloy wheels and it did the same within a couple of months from new.
Why they don't paint them with decent paint I've no idea.
I have already planned to paint mine shortly after collecting.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, cheers guys for putting my mind at ease.

I might get the wheels off and paint them as suggested

I'm just a bit nervous about anything that doesn't look right as it's leased!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Has anyone else who has their Ateca noticed the same problem?

Bit naff that Seat do't paint the rotar hat (Think that's the official name)

I'm going to take it onto the dealer and ask if they can do anything under warranty. If not I will contact SEAT and see if they will allow me to paint them (since they officially own the vehicle)

G

·
Scott1988 said:
Has anyone else who has their Ateca noticed the same problem?

Bit naff that Seat do't paint the rotar hat (Think that's the official name)

I'm going to take it onto the dealer and ask if they can do anything under warranty. If not I will contact SEAT and see if they will allow me to paint them (since they officially own the vehicle)
I plan to paint mine and I'm on a very similar PCH deal to you from the same dealer.
I don't think anyone will even look when the car goes back in 3 years.

·
Registered
165 Posts
That rusty part you are looking at is part or the disc itself, prone to rust after a lot of millage, wheel cleaner can strip off the paint coating they come with as standard, as for the hand car washes there are a few which do not dilute their wheel cleaner properly and it has been known to strip paint of alloys so go carefully. I use a ph neutral cleaner and it removes all brake dust and doesnt damage the wheel. I would strongly advise against trying to clean it with products other than specified to dirt in those areas as contamination on your brake pads could lead to failure.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Dunn VAG Happy said:
That rusty part you are looking at is part or the disc itself, prone to rust after a lot of millage, wheel cleaner can strip off the paint coating they come with as standard, as for the hand car washes there are a few which do not dilute their wheel cleaner properly and it has been known to strip paint of alloys so go carefully. I use a ph neutral cleaner and it removes all brake dust and doesnt damage the wheel. I would strongly advise against trying to clean it with products other than specified to dirt in those areas as contamination on your brake pads could lead to failure.
Second DunnVAG's comments :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts