Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

does anyone know the difference in the standard satnav and the additional satnav?

I have seat sound and spare wheel so not sure what extra features with the satnav it comes with?

TIA
Andy

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
A short answer, in my opinion is has absolutely nothing worth actually paying quite a lot extra for. There are a few features but have a look in the manual as the extra bits are all shown with an asterisk to differentiate them from the basic Navi system.

·
Registered
188 Posts

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Oh dear my train with have come before I finish off.

You know it's a Navigation Plus since it won't have any SD cards in either slot since its on an SSD. Hence indexing faster, you have two spare SD slots for big music collections plus the Jukebox. 3D projection of buildings in towns. Can play DVD and video files.

It is pricey and I think incorrectly priced. If you got the spare cash worth having. For those that want to frig their map cards the SD one has advantages.

Train yes and see Paul's answer now.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
What is the point of playing video files when stationary? So it's got a built in SSD with a massive 10GB - what's the point of that when you can plug a 1TB HDD into the usb port· 3D buildings - Wow - I really miss that on my Navi nonplussed.

I can see possible advantages of the WiFi option for passengers, but you can always tether your phone - data allowance permitting - and who pays for the data Simm?

Its also very expensive at £930 but that includes Seat Sound, which you may not want (so, assuming you would have bought Seat Sound its an extra £600.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response.
Looks like I have standard satnav which isn't a problem I just wanted to check.
Thanks
Andy

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Your not flaming the satnav unit Freddie are you. A hard disk drive wouldn't really survive the bumps and bangs of driving. The 10gb really is for those people that like their MP3 compression and dates back to then. I put my favourites on the Jukebox and have two 128gb cards in the other two slots. That still doesn't fully cover my music collection.

The problem is the standard unit is the Discovery Pro unit cut down to save money so effectively if you want the proper VW system you have to buy it again plus that smaller extra bit that they have saved money on. It's always been my criticism of the pricing of the unit. However since it hasn't been compromised it is the Discovery Pro unit whilst the standard one is the "Lite" unit with one less useable card slot, slower unit and map reading although nobody really knows how much slower it really is. I know some people do like the video function of it. I wouldn't have been happy buying the standard unit given I plan to keep the car long term and the cost saving would have eaten me up as I would have known I hadn't bought the best.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm afraid I can't quiet understand most of the recent posts on this subject only to say that a modern hard drive unit would be SSD ( solid state drive) and thus not subject to bouncing around problems, the rest of the argument is completely beyond me :)

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The concept of a "hard" drive arose from the fact that previous magnetic storage devices were "floppy" drives using flexible plastic discs rather than the newer glass disks. So, on that basis, a modern SSD is also a "hard" drive.

·
Registered
132 Posts
FRed99 I'm not sure that I can agree with that definition of a SSD. An old fashioned hard drive is a spinning disc of some material with a moving arm that scans over the surface of the disc and reads data from that disc. A Solid State Drive is a purely solid device of memory chips with no moving parts at all, nothing to do with glass or plastic discs. A totally different concept, hence my confusion with various posts above who clearly have no understanding of modern electronics.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
You are right of course, but I was merely pointing out why people refer to most of these devices as "hard" disks. I was selling "hard" disks in the 60s!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
The previous one was an HD not floppy disk... sure someone's been drinking. Ah well my first degree minor was in computer science and I've been to Bletchley Park museum of computing which is the place to go to relive your computer youth. If data packs are your thing and leather upholstered Cray computers. Yes leather, they provided a seat around the Cray in leather... must be a picture somewhere:).

Seat approved in leather :).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cray-1

Data packs, they are free standing in a row. Think they were 10gb or something, see picture.

http://www.computerconservationsociety.org/images/icl%202966.jpg

I use to remote into Harwell when I was a research officer. You get a terminal, card reader and printer and become the operator... as well as writing the programmes you did the operator function as well. Good old George 3.

So having substantiated my credituals. The Navigation Plus has a 64gb solid state memory. The extra memory is used to hold the 3D maps plus the spare 10gb for the jukebox. So the data bus should be faster since its plugged into it rather than via an SD card.

Next computer science lecture will cover core memory :).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic-core_memory

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Tell said:
The previous one was an HD not floppy disk... sure someone's been drinking.
What on earth are you talking about now?

Leather and computers? What are you on?

I suspect the only qualification you have is a PHD in crass irrelevance.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
No the Cray computers were covered in leather. Look at the picture I posted up. I got to see one at Bletchley Park where they had been given one. These computer were the fastess ones in the world till the Chinease beat them. They were the creme la creme of computers and like the Xcellence were covered in leather. Leatherette is too cheap a product for them.

That's the leather seat I'm referring too which runs around the bottom of the unit :). They also have refrigeration piping running in that top shape to keep the circuits boards cold which is pretty unusual. I think there are circuits under the seat as well. That is what you get if you pay billions of dollars for a super computer. Whether anyone ever sits on those seats I'm not sure or are for show.

Fixture Building Interior design Line Floor

You can fumble one at Bletchley Park as I said in the British Museum of Computing which is to the right of the main encryption museum. It's just like that one, with some panels open. I had never seen a Cray before, I had seen and used the rest, ICL 1900 / 2900 and IBM 360 / 370.

Getting back to the satnav unit it is probably in need of an update and rationisation as the VAG group has about 27 variants produced which cover the model range. At some stage I'm sure they will drop the CD / DVD drive as use of that media falls. They could lock people out of fiddling with the contents of the SD map files if they shifted that onto an SSD but that's probably more expensive than the current arrangement. The hybrid cut down unit of the Discovery Pro is only on the non VW / Audi cars as far as I'm aware. That was done I guess to give Full Link the big 8" screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
931 Posts
Tell said:
Ah well my first degree minor was in computer science. So having substantiated my credituals...
'
degree in computer science - hell, you couldn't even work out the front passenger legroom wasn't big enough! :lol:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Isn't the internal drive SSD not a hard drive per se?

I should have the Nav+ it was part of the option pack that I bought but there is definitely a SD card in one of the 2 slots and a SD card box (DVD size) that it came in referencing the Nav SD. How else can I check that I really do have the Nav+

1 - 16 of 16 Posts