Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you know the Seat Ateca was due to make an appearance at the Silverstone Fleetshow yesterday (http://www.atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=84), I've been looking around today to try and find some information about it and some pictures. Well I discovered here: http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?p=4655454 that forum user 'Tell' was there, had taken some pictures and left a write up.

I've included the pictures and write up below, I hope they are happy with that but thought it might be useful here too:

The model on show was the Ateca Xcellence, 4 wheel drive manual, panoramic roof, 8" sound with the sub woofer in the spare (? may be not - will post the picture up), electric tailgate, but cloth seats since it was in the European spec, left hand drive, not leather which is what the Xcellence is in for the UK which we all know that I'm sure. Colour Rodium Grey. Lower power engine TDI spec than we get.

This is what I gleaned, as for colours we know what they are re the brochure. Matt was kind enough to tell me the new colours that are not in the Seat range as yet, these are

Samoa Orange
Mato Brown
Jungle Green

The other colours are as per what you will see on other Seats in a dealership.

Boot space with the 4 wheel drive, I measured that you would be able to get an item of at least 50 cms in height into the boot without removing the parcel shelf on top of the base speaker cover / spare wheel e.g. normal loading space. Not too sure whether you could get something heavy on there, the materiel looked like hardboard to me rather than ABS plastic. Had heavy weight wide screen glass TVs in my Altea in the past, not sure whether you would want to put something that heavy on the space. Will let others comment or consider the materiel that the Leon Mk3 subwoofer / spare shelf is made off. 50cms height looked good to me since I'll be able to get my chiller box in. The Kadjar doesn't have the height for this.

As for space around the spare wheel. There seemed to be a few holes where you could put stuff in that you might already house around an Altea two level boot with a spare. The space is down a bit on that lower level. It doesn't have the storage area under the parcel shelf that earlier Altea's had. Triangle, yellow jacket, breath test stuff all have to go underneath. So, some loss of space to put stuff at the back is apparent - possibly time to prune down what one carries about. 4 wheel drive takes out a slice of space in the rear lower area which isn't an issue for those that don't go for this.

Sound system / head end, 8" screen. It had a CD drive in the glove compartment with two SD slots, assume one spare for music - that's what the guy said, the other one map. Plus two USB ports under the headend as you see in brochure photos. The charging area is directly below where the USB connections are, so you can place your normal small smartphone there. There is another cubby hole in the glove compartment, spare space - that's what Matt called it. Guess that space is used for something else. To the right of the CD / SD navigation unit in the glove box. That hole isn't for the 10 speaker amp set up is it ?. I'm not convinced it was the Navigation System Plus on this car and that space to the left of the unit in the glove box might be where that amp goes that people talk about for other Seats with this set up ?. & is that just a CD drive... suspect a DVD.

Maps covered Europe, East Europe, excludes Cyprus and Crete. No beep for speed camera as we already know on VW systems although you are suppose to be able to upload the POIs and work out your own method for the beep via a smartphone app. Copy these onto the SD card and use a spare POI or something. There is information on a VW site, I'm sure I will be doing this and running my existing co-pilot as well for the bleeps and warnings but satnav for directions.

Didn't have a conversation on the bi-colour alloy wheels. Probably not a fleet thing.

Electric parking break this works different to a Merc which you do via pressing down the foot break hard to trigger on. The Ateca one sounded a bit complicated for manual gear box, but since I will be getting a DSG you can just press the the button up and down just like a hand break. The back end of the switch does something else, an auto mode, not too sure how useful for a DSG. I'm sure the Ateca threads will be discussing the parking break when the car comes out. Suppose to be similar set up as VWs so will let others fill in the dots as to how this is activated on Golf, manual and DSG.

On Ateca leg room, this is all important to me being 6'1". That was totally OK and so was the headroom with the panoramic roof. Didn't try out the back. Seats, your normal comfortable bucket ones with an upright position like the Altea, so no backache inducing seating.

I can't say in Rodium Grey the car doesn't stand out too well. Told it's better in silver to catch the lines. You could walk past it and not notice it, which I did. Blended in with the grey exhibition carpets. It looked solid enough and was projecting Ateca on either side of the door mirrors. A more solid build to the Kadjar.

Attachments

·
Administrator
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ernieb said:
Great write up Rob but the photos are all upside down?
Ok that's strange! They are the right way round on my PC but just checked from my mobile and they're upside down!

I'll try and upload them again. :lol:

·
Registered
334 Posts
Saw that on the original page which I have been following as well. Good thinking sharing it rob. Some good points in there.

Bit concerned they didn't think much of rodium grey as that was the colour I was edging towards (if I dont go for the long awaited now nearing mythical first edition, which no doubt will rock up in that fancy orange)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think you'll find the First Edition will come in Unobtainium Grey with Unicorn horn dashboard inlays. Each one will also have a signed photo of Lord Lucan in the manual and the boot will be trimmed with hair from Shergar. The on-board satnav will be powered by pixies who only require occasional feeds with fairy dust.
Oh, and it will be unveiled in early May. We're just not sure what year :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Don't forget the flux capacitor! At least they could go back in time and not fluff the launch date...

In all seriousness, as long as we find out what the first edition is this month before orders in June I am not bothered. I will also be quite content if they still hit September deliveries like they are saying they will. It's if things slip further that I will be annoyed, and may take a closer look at my original fiat 500x plan again (with my extra discount and loyalty bonuses with Fiat).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Seat UK configurator is finally live - at last!

·
Registered
334 Posts
That's worthy enough news for a new thread I think. I will create one when I get home from working this evening if it hasn't been done already. Finally get to play around!!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Yes Tell was there and the pictures would have been clearer if I'd peeled off my plastic delivery film from the camera lens. Thought I would go low key and not take my bridge camera and just whip out the tablet.

I was impressed with the car and don't really think I need to take a test drive to decide. Will be believe other peoples reviews on handling etc. Seats were comfortable and leg room good. As said elsewhere my pre-occupation has been the capabilities of the Seat Navigation System but think I've bottomed that out now as much as possible.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Your pictures and info was really informative! Thanks for taking the time to post it. I decided against the grey based on your pictures and overall impression. Going for the more exciting orange or Nevada white now.

Sat nav is an added bonus for me tbh. I wouldn't normally bother speccing it and just use my phone, especially with the CarPlay functionality in built. But as it comes with the First Edition and is effectively "free", I won't complain. It's a nice back up/alternative on any unknown journeys.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
The VW UK owners are busy looking for their sim card sockets on the Discovery Pro unit that came in later models of the 2016 edition that gives them the ability to give the car WLAN to connected devices in the car so you can integrate via the VW Media Control app. I don't know where Seat stand on this one - useful to eyeball the front of the console in the glove box for a SIM card slot as well as the two SD slots. If you see the SIM card slot you know the hardware is set up for this even if the software may not be. VW Media Control is in addition to CarPlay and Android Auto and seems to need the car's WLAN to function. They plug a SIM dongle in if they don't have the SIM card slot, but as yet I don't think VW owners in the UK are offered this but they are in Europe. You can poke you destinations in from your device, Google calendar for Android into the satnav. I get all my destinations into the calendar now so I can check drive times and route plan ahead. Whether Seat will get this not sure but a tell tail SIM slot is an indication.

Holidaying in Japan I use the NaviCon app which integrates with the defacto Japanese mapping headend system based on their "Mapcodes" and mapping projections / surveys etc. You will note that TomTom, Here etc don't do Japan since Japan does it's own thing. The same functionality of app to headend I use for planning these trips wearing my navigators hat when in the car and out. I quite see where uploading your stuff when you get into the car comes in. Whether the Seat unit does this will have to wait and see, failing that you do your planning and upload via VCards or make use of the Android / iOS integration. For VCards your using the VW / Skoda sites. In Europe you don't really want to be tied to a data plan and want offline mapping.

Good news I can now read my Co-Pilot Windows Mobile destination file as of tonight, so a bit of programming and I will be able to upload those as VCards to the Seat satnav. My Android Co-Pilot ones aren't in ASCII but I have less of those to get into the satnav unless I crack the file system I will have to do them by hand. The Co-Pilot speed camera updates comes as an EZP file another project, already copy those across to my Windows Mobile phone that they stopped supporting to get the updates :). Would nice to get the same file into the Seat satnav then it would all be integrated on the same satnav cameras. There is a toggle on the upload software for "warning" on the Skoda website which I assume is a visual warning rather than an audio one. Have to see, then you just run your normal smartphone navi program without putting a destination in for audio warnings.

Will probably go for silver. I have a silver edging to bronze colour Altea and I like that colour. I suspect the silver one is more silver and doesn't have that bronze hint that I like. I was attracted to the orange but I think I would grow tied of it. Dark cars invite being run into and hot summers / dark paint don't go together to keep the car cool even with AC. With the Xcellance I will have to invest in one of those sun windscreen shields that they use on the continent to keep the black leather cool. See whether Auchan sell them in the winter.

I didn't mention in my original review that the wipers at the front are the traditional ones that rest down the bottom, unlike the Altea, they don't disappear in the pillar either side. It's uses two blades.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I take it the media control app and in car software is VWs latest and greatest inhouse car infotainment package? Or is it just an addition to their older existing in car media tech? Either way it would be good for the SIM car slot to future proof the Ateca in some way. Like I said I expect to use CarPlay mainly, but some of those features certainly sound useful. I know CarPlays latest iteration can be activated wirelessly, without connecting to USB via lightning, but I think it is unlikely to find its way into the Ateca. Again, hopefully a software update could help. Technology in cars is always such a minefield!

There are stillshots on the Ateca page under technology, with words on screen like "gestures" and "actions" which I am intrigued about. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else, and Google didn't reveal much apart from some general VW abilities. Will have to see!

I'm still leaning towards orange. It may be a case of deciding on the day of order but I am trying to decide earlier! I have 8 days!!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
The Discovery Pro Navigation has a proximity sensor in it so as your finger approaches the screen it magnifies and expand the options. This is what the Seat information is talking about in gestures and actions. It can be seen in this video from 2 minutes on as his hand approaches the screen and he does refer to it later as I recall. It's like a right click on a mouse giving the options underneath but you just approach it with your finger.

The Pro is the Seat Plus model, the non plus is the non pro I reckon. So best to check what Seat is saying about the model you have in mind. The Plus is the one with the SSD but Seat info calls it an HD drive. VW Pro is SSD. Maps are on the SSD. User destinations can be uploaded and POIs to the Pro's SSD, ditto the Seat Plus. Music can be upload to the SSD (10gb area) or played from one of the SD slots. The non Plus like the non VW Pro can't have user POIs uploaded although I think some German folks have hacked them into the map SD card - I think. So reduction in functionality if you don't have the Plus navigation.

On the VW Media App side I think that's a separate strand of development to CarPlay / Android Play. Well it is on the VW systems and that's not been rolled out to the VW UK market yet. The tell tail is the SIM slot. Whether that strand will die not sure but it's arrived in Europe.

8 days. Hmm. I reckon my ability to order date is pushed back. I want the Panoramic roof. As I sit here having my Altea rejuvenated in a fitters discount chain to keep it going a bit longer with the delivery dates and delays.

Looking at the first edition spec which has the 8" screen is the Pro or Plus in Seat language with the SSD and gestures etc. Unless they now make the non SSD in an 8" screen which isn't a Problem, clear as mud.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ha, yeah it is confusing. Guessing it must have the hdd (ssd!) as well as the two SD slots. Why they feel the need to rebrand the infotainment options I have no idea, does make it confusing. Watched that video, does look excellent, nice and clean UI with simple buttons. Proximity seems to work like a charm as well. I'm sure I will have a few hours of fun tinkering!

I originally wanted the pano. But I have gone for the first edition to get the extra toys. The pano is great in my current car, but it does turn The interior into a greenhouse. I will be sorry to lose it but not at the expense of an extra few months on my delivery time!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I might take your advice on the greenhouse. Sunshine roof has its uses but I wasn't too sure of how much the blind shuts out the heat. The glass is suppose to be reflective. I can't stand a hot car. I just have the roof up / open when stopped for extra ventilation in the summer on trips but if it makes the car hot with the blind closed as opposed to no roof, might be better not bother. So are we saying that your blind closed gives a hotter car than a car without a panoramic roof or does the reflective / filtered glass block out the heat ?.

Speaking to my localish dealer I think I know what is happening now. Seat UK sorted out the First Edition which gives the discount with kit, but the rest is all up in the air on discounting. I'm sure once Brexit is out of the way things will become clearer.

On whether it's a fully fledged Pro unit the critical question is whether it has the SSD and the user 10GB user music area. If sat navigation is working and there is no mapping card in either SD slot then it's the top of the range unit.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My current 500L has a fixed pano so doesn't open at all. One piece of solid glass, making the interior amazingly light and spacious but hot in the summer. It does have a shade that can be pulled across electronically to any fixed position but doesnt cut out all the heat by any means. (Thrown some pictures together for your viewing pleasure!) It is a real feature of the car and is amazing for the kids to look out of, "daddy looooook, helicopter/plane" :) I will really miss it.

The pano on the Ateca I believe opens, so would enable you to cool the car quickly at least. I guess it comes with shade as well, and is reflective. I'm not convinced of mines reflective abilities. Don't get me wrong, on balance I would still have it if I could. But it worked out I gave too much up on my SE spec with pano and keyless entry optioned compared to the First Edition, the improved sat nav and Full LED lights to name just two. My spec was £500 more as well!

It does sound like First Edition orders are first up, at least my dealership are being pro active in getting my order ASAP so they can guarantee me one of the 200. How much discount I may get we shall see, as obviously I am getting a good deal already. Still hoping for a handy deposit contribution, especially as I'm ordering sight unseen.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. The Ateca car I sat in had the white blind and the opening roof but they didn't have the keys to work it. They did offer to start the car but I said don't bother, we were in the exhibition hall. Someone had the keys.

So I don't think you get any darker than the white defused light via the blind. I think I will invite myself to a VW dealership to check out panoramic roofs a bit more. I see from the net they are supposed to be 95 percent coated to cut out the UV in general. Jury seems to be a bit out on the greenhouse effect. Reading the translated thread seems to me I would get a delivery circa April based on those timescales for 19" wheels, pano and me hanging back for the ripe period to order. My research background causes me to illicit information. The dealer I spoke to gets five enquiries per day and most want to take a test drive (you have to laugh). I suspect those right hand drive ones will be the special edition ones or not. I can't believe there will be any righthand drive ones around till September in dealerships.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts