Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a two month old SEAT Ateca 1.4 SE.

I could not find anything in the handbook or service book regarding cam belts. Around two weeks ago I visited my SEAT dealer to query. I was shocked to be told by the Service Manager the cam belt replacement was an eight hour job costing £1,150.00!! I then telephoned SEAT Customer Care (Laura) in Leeds to query. After around 10 days they came back to me and their technical team have stated the cam belt is a two to three hour job costing the regular amount.

I then spoke to the Service Manager again and was shown the SEAT schedule for the job on the PC showing the £1,150.00. The dealer then emailed SEAT (Customer Care) asking for clarification. As they did not come back to him he assumed SEAT had accepted his schedule as being the correct scenario.

I telephoned SEAT Customer Care again this week to complain to Laura that the information she gave me was a load of old tosh. Unbelievably, she stated their information about the three hour job still stood and she was unaware of any emails received from the Service Manager. She has now raised a case for me with one of their Case Managers who would be in touch. Meantime, the Service Manager has copied the email sent to Laura (without the SEAT schedule attachment).

Does anyone out there know the truth here? - I didn't even remember asking if a new the water pump was included in the quote. In my opinion this cost is unbelievable and unacceptable. The only lucky thing is that the cam belt should not require replacement for a number of years.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yep, see the thread that NeilW pointed you to.

In summary though - £1,150 isn't right. Seat have published their fixed prices for Cam belt change on their website - if you book online through the Seat website you select the service then whichever authorised Seat dealer you jolly well like. You can check for yourself on the system, but the cost show currently is £329 cam belt on its own or £459 for cam belt and water pump.

The main Seat maintenance information site is here: http://www.seat.co.uk/owners/your-seat/servicing-maintenance.html

You can click 'Book online' in the top right hand corner to book a car in (or step through the motions out of curiosity). Process I followed to get prices ('cos I don't have my Ateca yet) is as follows:

1. Click 'Book online'
  2. On step 1 ('Your car') select the red "Don't know your reg?" link
  3. Select: Ateca / 1.4 Litres / Petrol / Manual / 1 Year in the grey car selection box and click 'Continue'
  4. On step 2 ('Select dealer') put in your local postcode and hit 'Find'
  5. Select a dealer from the search and click 'Continue'
  6. On step 3 ('Select work') scroll down the list and you get to pick the cam belt options at the prices I mention above...

Here's a screenshot taken today (19/05/2017)

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Attachments

·
Registered
931 Posts
jasbo11 said:
I have a two month old SEAT Ateca 1.4 SE.

I could not find anything in the handbook or service book regarding cam belts. Around two weeks ago I visited my SEAT dealer to query. I was shocked to be told by the Service Manager the cam belt replacement was an eight hour job costing £1,150.00!! I then telephoned SEAT Customer Care (Laura) in Leeds to query. After around 10 days they came back to me and their technical team have stated the cam belt is a two to three hour job costing the regular amount.

I then spoke to the Service Manager again and was shown the SEAT schedule for the job on the PC showing the £1,150.00. The dealer then emailed SEAT (Customer Care) asking for clarification. As they did not come back to him he assumed SEAT had accepted his schedule as being the correct scenario.

I telephoned SEAT Customer Care again this week to complain to Laura that the information she gave me was a load of old tosh. Unbelievably, she stated their information about the three hour job still stood and she was unaware of any emails received from the Service Manager. She has now raised a case for me with one of their Case Managers who would be in touch. Meantime, the Service Manager has copied the email sent to Laura (without the SEAT schedule attachment).

Does anyone out there know the truth here? - I didn't even remember asking if a new the water pump was included in the quote. In my opinion this cost is unbelievable and unacceptable. The only lucky thing is that the cam belt should not require replacement for a number of years.
'
That's some time for SEAT to contact you - 10 days :eek: I simply emailed them and they came back with an answer in 48hr.

As said, there's another thread on this matter BUT if your service manager quoted an 8hr job for changing the cambelt, I'd be very very worried about returning to that dealership to have work done on my car. He should have known there was something suspect about it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Dealers must hate the internet, it drives prices down (and so they make less profit) and highlights when they are stupid! That said, the good dealers will get better publicity and do better out of it.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I agree. With a two month old car, why on earth are you worrying about this?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Might just be checking the long-term service requirements...? I asked my dealer whether it was cam belt or chain before purchasing - just to understand long term routine (plan on keeping the car for 10+ years if I can).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fujixpro said:
Why are you getting cam belt work done, the vehicle has a 3 year warranty.
I enquired about the cam belt because it is not mentioned in the car handbook or the service book. I know it could be some 4-5 years off but I am the sort of person who wishes to know what the facts are when things aren't listed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fred99 said:
I agree. With a two month old car, why on earth are you worrying about this?
I enquired about the cam belt because it is not mentioned in the car handbook or the service book. I know it could be some 4-5 years off but I am the sort of person who wishes to know what the facts are when things aren't listed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fujixpro said:
Why are you getting cam belt work done, the vehicle has a 3 year warranty.

G

·
jasbo11 said:
It's not mentioned, because the owner is not supposed to worry about it. According to Golf MK7 Forum, VW has a maintenance schedule for 1.4 TSI, where the belt is checked first time on 150k miles (and no time interval whatsoever).

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19749

·
Registered
931 Posts
Tet70 said:
According to Golf MK7 Forum, VW has a maintenance schedule for 1.4 TSI, where the belt is checked first time on 150k miles (and no time interval whatsoever).
'
I have a confirmation email from SEAT UK to say it's 5 years on the 1.4tsi

·
Registered
75 Posts
The service sticker in my 64 plate Leon states Sep-19 for the belt so that would also agree with the 5-year guidance - at least for it to be checked.

·
Registered
579 Posts
On my virtual list of things that are really important to worry about right now, oddly, this doesn't seem to appear :roll: . Get on and enjoy the car and jasbo11, sell the car in 4 years and 9 months time and your worries go away :D . At least you'll have some reassurance of knowing that several other owners will be reaching the 5 year check before you and, if this forum is still alive, you'll have plenty of feedback at the time.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Frivolity aside, the question being asked should be, what happens if the belt snaps before the five years are up? Simply replacing would, at this point, appear unlikely, however, if it snaps early someone could end up with a £5,000 bill. What we need to know is, in the absence of a specific reference to this part being covered by warranty, do VW/SEAT see this item as a consumable in the same way they do clutch plates and certain parts of the brakes? Clutches give manufacturers a reason, if somewhat unfair, for arguing it was the drivers fault. What would happen if it was a car with a conventional belt that snapped during the 3 years? My Audi was time (4 years) and mileage (?) and I replaced it twice :( .

·
Registered
931 Posts
The cambelt is no different from any other part - it will have a specific life. If you are driving under normal conditions, the car is well maintained and serviced as per manufacturer specifications then according to the manufacturer, that belt should last 5 years. If it snaps before then it's reasonable to suggest the belt was faulty from manufacture and the cost of damage would fall on the supplier.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I agree it should. Hopefully none of us will have to find out for definite.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Well a quick look on Seat's website and they explicitly call out their cambelt warranty here:
http://www.seat.co.uk/owners/your-seat/servicing-maintenance/cambelt-warranty/cambelt-warranty.html

Basically they have an age / mileage dependant warranty, the norm is 5 years. The sting is that you ONLY get a cam belt warranty on vehicles up to 10 years old or 2x max cam belt mileage (so cars over 10 years old aren't eligible). Despite all the exclusions though there is one very nice inclusion:

"Consequential damage to standard vehicle components caused by a manufacturing defect can be claimed under the terms of the warranty."

(Nice as in explicitly stated, although even if you had to argue your case you'd probably win anyway so they're not doing you any real favours just stating the bleeding obvious).

And, as if confirmation wasn't already given, the fixed price service cost for a cam belt (only the cambelt, not belt + water pump duo offer) is £329 (for petrol / £399 for diesel) with free 5 year cam belt warranty (see here: http://www.seat.co.uk/owners/your-seat/servicing-maintenance/fixed-price-maintenance.html)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts