Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all members,

My name is Ricardo, i'm from Portugal and my SEAT Ateca will arrive this week. (Seat Ateca 1.6 TDI)
About the version we have different version names in Portugal so i cannot say what is the equivalent UK version.

But it have 18" wheels, Rear view camera, Dark tinted rear windows, Navi system with Full Link, Kessy system. I would say it's the Ateca FIRST EDITION 1.6 TDI Ecomotive 115 PS 6-speed manual, UK version.

Due to confusion with the dealer the Ateca comes with the Navi System instead the one that i want (Navi System Plus), but now it's to late to change it.

The only thing that i really want for the Plus System is the ability to reproduce video files. I think the system is the same in terms of hardware so like the Full Link that to activate only needs a code, is it probably that to enable video files to play maybe will be like a internal configuration on the system.
Anyone knows a way that i can play video files unsing the Navi System, our even i can i upgrade it so that this can be possible?

Thanks a lot
Ricardo Melo

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Greetings. The Plus is suppose to be a different model to the standard. Has the SSD. I'd be very surprised that any hacks will be out in the short term. If people say they can do it with the VW Discovery unit then it would be possible. The only hack I've read is being able to play video illegally on the move with the Discovery Pro, the German site has talked about this in the Ateca but nothing offered as a solution. I suspect you are out of luck. There is considerable premium payed to get the Navigation Plus unit. The technical manual granted would seem to indicate that if you had a Seat Sound System then you have a Navigation Plus unit but I think that's an technical error in the manual.

I shall crucify my dealer if they have screwed up my order, Seat are telling me all is fine....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick reply Tell.
It seem that i will not be able to see videos in the navi system :(

They did not screwed up the order, it has been a confusion from them and from my part since i always talked about the navi plus, but that as not been understand by the dealer.

So now i will have the navi system with Full Link instead the Navi Plus. And it seem that i will not be able to take advantage of the 8" screen.

Thanks once again.

If you read something that i could do, please tell me.

Best regards,
Ricardo Melo

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Mine didn't use the parter numbers obtained from the configurator PDF just free text on the order but I'm assured by customer services it is as it should be else I won't be happy. There is media player plus and navigation plus... too many plusses. The vast majority in the UK don't bother with navigation plus, save their £500 or whatever it is and happy to use their smartphones for navigation with the limitations that we all know know... I note Germans love thier navigation plus systems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will have all navigation support on the system, maps from sd card, no need to use my phone + full link.
I have the specs from the media system plus/navi system. As you can see on the image bellow.

The difference that i can see is the video support, since navi plus runs video files, from any support, dvd, sd our usb.
For me really i would be happy just by running videos from usb, our even to attach a external video source like using a ipad to send video signal to the screen, that would leave me very happy, but i see i can't do that with this system :(

Best regards,
Ricardo Melo

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Tell ~ I personally don't care about Nav plus but not because I'm using smart phone ............ Navigation comes in our model anyway, along with the 8 inch screen and that version is more than adequate for me :) I don't need the extra USB or the memory :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it make sense, i have the 8 inch screen also.

Like you i also don't care about the nav plus, if mine is able to play video files :( that seems to not be possible without nav plus. I need to find a way :)
I don't know if i can find a way, maybe install a media-in connector (that i don't know if it's possible for the Ateca).

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Hello Ricardo ~ welcome to the forum

there seem to be a lot of variants it is hard to track what is actually standard in each model

I'm actually now questioning if I get a usb point at all to charge phone from (can't use wireless charger as use an iphone)
I thought I did but not not sure as that much information out there [email protected] having trouble working it out !! :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi Saggy i have two USB ports, one Aux and two SD card slots, the nav card sits in one with room for a memory card full of music, but my iphone is full of music. The in car nav is great and i havent used apple maps yet, it still gets traffic info and the car lets you know if you are approaching standing traffic etc, ill be adding speed camera info when i read a reliable source on how.

Ps i dont have the Navi plus just what comes as speced in yhe xcellence.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
You get two in the dash Saggy. I know since I'm having the tablet on one and my smartphone on the other.

I get the luxury with the Navigation Plus it's faster, 3D buildings in cities and I think it does the speed cameras better... not so convinced the standard model will do speed cameras, waiting to hear report back.

Two SD slots since the map isn't using one. I'm busy flaccing my music collection. I've got to over 128gb so far. It wont get to 256 gb. So I'll be copying everything over alphabetically and splitting it in two 128 gb SD cards for the two slots then pick the SD card by where it is in the directory. You get limited to 5,000 files per SD, my back of the envelope says I'm OK. Then I've got the spare 10 GB in the unit.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Dunn VAG Happy said:
Hi Saggy i have two USB ports, one Aux and two SD card slots, the nav card sits in one with room for a memory card full of music, but my iphone is full of music. The in car nav is great and i havent used apple maps yet, it still gets traffic info and the car lets you know if you are approaching standing traffic etc, ill be adding speed camera info when i read a reliable source on how.

Ps i dont have the Navi plus just what comes as speced in yhe xcellence.
Have you not found my reliable link !.

http://atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=254

I dropped those link back in May, it will work if you can upload POIs into the standard navigation, but as said some moaning on the German site about the beep. I can't think Seat took out the sound alert for POIS whilst it's in the Discovery Pro... they may be just confusion or they didn't crank the sound up.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
thanks Gents

I thought I did but then all the talk of "plus" and it saying 2 USB on the spec for that made me doubt myself :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ill try video later if i get chance and let you know, missed the links Tell ill study them tonight and might have a go. (Ps ill also look into the spare wheel thing Tell).

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Thanks. I think you will draw a blank with the video.

On the POI upload a common error is not to get them in the root directory as the guy says. The only stuff on the SD card should be the extract. The other reported issue is Apple people having funny card formats. The ozzie guy was pretty clear with his instructions so the real question is whether you can do it with the standard system and whether Seat have left out the beep warning menu for POIs. The POI database talked about by Ernie and me does have a consolidation piece of software and cuts out the German website but question then, does it work with this headend. So if I had the car I'd experiment with the Ozzie link and the POI database then try doing it just with POI database. Basically it formats the POIs into VW'S own satnav database format for import. Destinations are something different as I covered.

Seat system is the Discovery MIB II system also typed up as MIB 2. The Pro is the Plus. Car-net is DriveApp etc etc....

·
Registered
334 Posts
Music wise I use Spotify/Apple Music. So everything is streamed (with the option to download onto your phone for blackspot or abroad). This replaces the need for SD slots for music.

Not sure you will ever get video working, at least not easily. It's locked down that way for a reason, to lessen any distraction. The fact the screen is angled slightly towards the driver also negates the need for it I think, would be a pretty poor experience for the front passenger watching video.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
In Japan they go around with the TV on, on the front screen but we have enough trouble with people using mobiles, texting, not indicating. Also in Japan your satnav is locked down when moving which is annoying since you can't as the navigator change the satnav once the foot break is off. Still they didn't have an integrated approach to Fukushima, watch the TV whilst travelling but can't change the satnav, build a reactor by the sea but allow the emergency generators to be swamped once every 80 years, hmmm.

Ah, Apple must be wax in my ears. Spotify, there are things called albums, and your own playlists. The Apple / Google thing is only good for your routine run, I wouldn't trust it in not spots. What did we say about lane guidance ?. That's the selling point of the fancy car satnavs or purpose specified units they give you turn by turn guidance, little sign boards pop up with show exactly the same sign as on the road, turn off roads directions get big, split the screen etc. One of the nice things of the integrated satnav will be the next turn directions on the dash so I can have a proper sleep when I'm the navigator and hand the car to the partner.

The places I take the car on holiday don't have mobile signals so you are stuffed if you are using connected guidance. Car companies are covering their bases by providing Android and Apple connections but that's only to keep those committed with playing with their devices happy they will....

The DVD player on the Plus (VW Pro) is so you can play a music DVD then drive off with it playing, you get dolby surround sound on the Seat Sound system and the ".1" sent to the subwoofer, the other 5 channels go to the other speakers. Mind you, you could watch DVDs whilst picking the kids up. You could wonder what the nefarious purpose is of the multi coloured lights in the car are for. I do note in some towns the "youth" live in their cars using shopping car parks as some meeting lot where the car becomes the lounge or bedroom on wheels, so one suspects that the video comes into that for watching materiel. Possibly the DVD predates those people getting their phablets, but to cast the image on the screen is something that some people would like. Which they do with the image viewers on the car apps.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
PS we didn't throw the "green menu" into the mix.... it's the engineering backend menu on the MIB 2 although I can say with certainty I won't be trying to wreck my unit by seeking it out.... although I did with a Google and the words Seat and Leon. If there is anyway of making a standard unit play video it would be there. People did mess up their unit in the backend. Then they have their plug in laptop. For the time being when I get the car I will treat it with respect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think the hardware is probably identical, but the software will be altered. They basicaly just need to remove the file extention association from the software for MP4 and other video format extentions. If this is the case, then you could possibly get things working again by:

* Updating the software with the Navi Plus software. (but this is risky, you could brick your system)
* Try renaming your video.mp4 to video.mp3 and try to start the file. Maybe the internal player will play the file.
* Discovering the hidden service menu on the software
* hacking the device :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.