Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In anticipation of collecting my SE (without Nav) I visited Android's Play Store and downloaded both apps which appear to be virtually identical.

A search here has gone over my head with Tell's apks etc. so I'm with Saggy on this (except I'm not one of the iSheep ;) ) and want to just use the phone for voice/data connection, Google Maps/Here/Waze and maybe a bit of music, but none of that social malarkey or even texts. Hell, this forum's about as social as I get!

Can anyone advise on the benefit of one over the other SEAT app (Drive gets more mentions)? And perhaps more importantly, is there a way to get all this without connecting a cable as I'm the sort of bloke who charges the thing every 2 days from <10% and never tops up. I don't mind doing this on a long journey, especially if the cable is constant live, but I'm damned if I'm going to knacker a decent phone with a non-replaceable battery for shorter journeys.

If it helps, as a family we use Xperias, but I could use a sacrificial battery in a Samsung which has rSAP capability and is normally used for data in another car. For a worst case scenario, I'll just create a google account on a handset I'll leave permanently connected in the car and whoever's driving can choose to divert calls to that.

Happy for anyone to chip in about Android Auto and MirrorLink too, but that's where I started getting confused. However if either of those satisfies my basic Nav and Music requirements - perfect.

(No) Apologies for trying to consolidate the various Android options in one thread.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you have wireless charger in your SE get a Qi adapter and no charge worries ... sadly I have a Windows phone so my choice is easy ...Nothing!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have yet to receive my car so the following comments are what I have gleaned from the wonder web ;)
Sadly I misunderstood how Full Link works, it is more limited than I imagined.

The good news, I believe, is that you must plug your phone in to one of the USB ports which handles both data and power.

The bad news is that Full Link does not mirror the phone :( so I won't be able to use Here, my preferred app.
You must install Android Auto or Mirrolink and they both have their own specific apps. These are the only ones you can use.
Android Auto uses Google Maps and Mirror Link uses Sygic.
Google maps can be used offline as you can download maps using wifi. You only need data switched on for live traffic.
My own approach will probably be to bump my data allowance up for a couple of quid a month to allow for the extra data. It will still be considerably cheaper than a regular map update.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Bad news about the cable as I don't want to be charging every time I want the phone connected.

Looks like I'll have to wait and see what works. Data's not a problem as I have an old tariff from before they imposed data caps and the Samsung in the other car has 2.5GB for £6.50. With Samsung's rSAP, the car hijacks the SIM remotely and completely (texts arrive on car not phone), so the data shown by the phone isn't accurate but I'd be surprised if it uses more than 500MB leaving about 2GB for use with the SEAT.

I might explore Sygic as the Android head unit in my son's car can use that although it's happy enough on GMaps and Here. GM Drive mode is good but the default map view on Here is relatively poor.

I'm sure I'll be pleasantly surprised when I find out what works best.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My phone connects via Bluetooth. It stays in my bag and calls, texts, music from Spotify, google maps all come through, no problem at all. The dealer will connect your phone to the car when you pick it up. I have an IPhone which I sometimes connect via a small cable if my battery is low, but don't really bother with it otherwise.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
The Seat Drive App had generally got the thumbs down here from posters. Ghizz being one. I can't use it myself since my Android tablet doesn't support Mirror Link. Basically the Drive App gives you car data isn't doing to do much else. My interest at the time was at the car data off the internal systems since I bought OBDELEVEN that has been eclipsed anyhow.

MirrorLink itself is sort of a precursor to Android Auto. It's like a walled garden where you are allowed to do safe things whilst driving. Apps functionality is reduced or features added which make it easy to use in the car. Google Maps, Spotify etc. MirrorLink is dying since its dependent on developers modifying their apps to work with it and Android Auto being the leader for this with Google products.

I suspect Minnie is using Android Auto. All is not lost if you have Windows Phone or Windows Mobile (have the latter since it has a very good general GPS navigation app, but since the developer refuses to write it for nothing other than Microsoft Phone or Mobile, no point in changing phones and the tablets a phablet in anycase), just turn on Bluetooth.

My wireless charger got deleted by Seat who built all UK Xcellence with Navigation Plus specified for a period omitting the wireless charger. I can't wirelessly charge it in any case so plug it in with a durable nylon usb lead as I've been doing for 12 years before.

Built in Navigation, it's actually HERE maps data so if you use the stand alone app the POIs you find in that are most likely in the cars system. The cars system seems to have a limitless number of destinations you can save. I haven't found the limit but migrated 130 of them from my Copilot app from Windows Mobile. The built in system works well and uses traffic data for delays and road closures. Because it's built in it doesn't jump roads when it looses the GPS signal which likes of Google maps can do. Built up areas, poor signal, and you can find on standalone systems it gives you false directions since its jumped. Built in car systems also get fed wheel rotations so when the GPS signal drops it estimates where you are from the last known position.

You also get lane assist in the built in system that throws up a panel showing you which lane to be in at junctions. Where a team of surveyors add these features to the map data.

Google maps on the other hand is more up to date on road conditions since they glean this information from Google Map drivers real-time passage threw the road network. TMC traffic data used by the cars system uses roadside monitors, highway reports and a fleet of about two thousand lorry drivers with tracking equipment.

I use the cars system but check Google Maps before leaving if I think the route may have delays. Have the option to use Google Maps, as a passenger turn to that if I consider a need.

Sygic is MirrorLink compatible.

https://mirrorlink-navigation.com/

I've got that one one on the tablet plus a few others when the car stays at home. Copilot for Australia and New Zealand plus all of Europe. Sygic for the world, planning at some stage to go back to South America. I seem to recall the Sygic map data is the Here maps data. NAVTEQ was the main mapping provider before Google got into the space, changed hands a few times and became HERE maps owned by the German car industry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_(company)

General point. It does seem to me that Here Maps stops a bit short in retail parks sometimes whilst Google Maps take the roads a bit further. That has been a frustration with it, nice to get taken to Costa Coffee rather go around a number of roundabouts to get back to the entrance of the retail park.

I have put up the instructions for importing speed cameras into the cars system, POIs and destinations. This thread which I posted up covers making the system look pretty with the auto zoom and 3D view and links to importing POIs and destinations for those with the car's built in system

http://atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=356&p=3192&hilit=Destinations#p3192

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow! I'll definitely try and keep it basic just like my only playlist - all tracks, random, repeat all.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Since you haven't got satnav built in then I would opt for Android Auto if you are happy to stay connected using data. Sygic solution via Mirrorlink I think probably allows you to do offline navigation since the maps are stored on your device it's just using the car's screen. Handy for off beat locations and possibly may have the lane guidance in it.

I wouldn't be worried about keeping the phone plugged in all the time they won't overcharge and it will make the battery last longer.

A fair few people using Android Auto around here. Don't think many use Mirrorlink.

You have to have a rooted phone to hack Mirrorlink to get all the apps on the screen which I doubt few will do so it's no longer reduced to the ones you are allowed to use. gets rid of the walled garden.

Possibly should have added that as well....

·
Registered
979 Posts
I've just remebered about this video that showed using hand gestures to do stuff. I've never spotted it on mine so guessing it's only available on Android devices using auto or mirror link? Anyone tried it & any good & what does it let you do?

Automotive design Car Audio equipment Personal luxury car Electronic device

Attachments

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Kindness, think it's MirrorLink DriveApp.

There is a video where they explain Seats mission on the MirrorLink development. If it was a VW they do have more natty apps, a sim card in the unit and remotely communicating stuff to the car including your satnav destination before you get into it.

http://www.seat.com/carworlds/connectivity-technology/mirror-link.html

It was the associate of Thomas that interviewed the person in charge of the development and I recall demo'd the app. Can't find that video will be under Aufg.....

·
Registered
163 Posts
I do not see why would I be using Seat Connect app... not much to see there. The only app I am waiting for is Waze...

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Google criteria will be is it safe to show Waze via Android Auto and to interact, so if it isn't it won't be an allowable app ditto MirrorLink, although Google Maps traffic is informed by Waze reports and all people who are running Google Maps, it's tracking you which is how it puts hot spots on the roundabouts for me to get to the M25. No cameras on those roundabouts but knows exactly when they are stuffed.

Like the one below it's picked up that traffic is slow through Epping High Street, some people are using the back road around it, that's just as stuffed (the red lines). People are making slow progress up from the station. It takes this into account in its routing. All that Google spying has its uses. So Google is clever (or very clever) on that. They probably don't like to say where all their traffic information comes from but those are the terms that you agree when you sign up.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ofcourse Google is spying that is nothing new :) Actually you can see your daily route in Google maps...

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
It does ask me whether I've been to places and demands photographs of them whilst I'm there. The biscuit was when Google decided that I should do local community work with other local reviewers and pick up rubbish.... now there is an idea. Sitting on a train is classified as parking the car at the station when I walked, so not always perfect. Thinks that's why it's interested in modes of transport to destinations to fine tune whether it's getting it right else walkers would be messing up its car algorithms. Reminds me to update my timeline.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Said video where the head of development demonstrates it

Seat Connectivity Feature: Smartphone Full Link in Seat Ateca - Autogefühl - YouTube

Driveapp:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Both Seat apps are pretty useless gimmicks if you ask me...
the only app worth using is android auto for the satnav mirror which is great..
other than that basic bluetooth connection for phone use is all you need...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got a message on my phone to say that SEAT DriveApp For Mirrorlink (version 2.5.4 Android) is being retired and replaced with SEAT ConnectApp v2.5.4.

[Update] Once you've downloaded and installed ConnectApp, and launched it, it goes into a "Migrating..." mode which for me only started when connected to wifi with the phone plugged in. It's been stuck at step 1 of 3 for the last 3 minutes... I'll post back here when (if) that's finished.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts