Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For any one with an Ateca feel free to explore the Seat DriveApp.

SEAT DriveApp is the easiest way to have an amazing online experience thanks to MirrorLink™ technology.
Enjoy your ride with the SEAT DriveApp features*:
✓ Desktop: 100% configurable, allows you to change your background, decide which features you want to use most frequently by adding widgets that allow you easy access with just one touch of the screen.
✓ Personal area: configure your social networks and your profile, the voice engine on the SmartPhone will read your notifications.
✓ Challenger: learn how to drive your SEAT in a more eco-friendly way. SEAT challenges you!
✓ Vehicle: check your car's status and consult your SEAT dealer offers.
✓ Charts: get access to some live data car while driving: mph, fuel consumption, rpm and gear.
✓ Tracks: record and replay your favourite tracks; see how many miles per gallon can you achieve whilst driving to work or just see how you can improve by driving your SEAT more often.
The SEAT DriveApp is subject to availability; please contact your local SEAT customer care team to get more information on the SEAT DriveApp.
*Some features require Internet connection
The video from

at 0:26 explains what it does. Basically extracts real time information from the car and enables you to look at it. Suppose to be rolled out for the Ateca.

http://www.seat-mediacenter.com/en-content/2016/08/12/seat-becomes-the-first-carmaker-with-a-carplay-app-for-iphone-in-the-app-store/&backUrl=%252F%252Fcontroller-en-HQ%252Fsearchquery%253FSearch%253Dmirror%252Blink%2526locale%253Den_HQ

http://www.seat-mediacenter.com/en-stories/corporate/seat-becomes-the-first-carmaker-with-a-carplay-app-for-iphone-in-the-app-store/&backUrl=%252F%252Fcontroller-en-HQ%252Fsearchquery%253FSearch%253Dmirror%252Blink%2526locale%253Den_HQ

http://www.seat.com/carworlds/connectivity-technology/overview.html

Android:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.seat.connectedcar.brand&hl=en_GB

iOS:

https://itunes.apple.com/es/app/seat-driveapp/id1093397901?l=en&mt=8

Feel free to try it out and report back.... Isn't available on all Androids from the play store. Pass on iOS.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I am technology friendly but I question safety?

To be fair I only make short journeys (up to 2 hours) so my phone can be left in my bag and if I need someone a call made from steering wheel buttons

With sat nav I primarily look at the screen that is directly behind the steering wheel with an occasional look to the main picture

The jury is out here until I know just how much looking over and swiping screens you have to do for your texts, what's app, email etc

also I'm not sure I'd want my texts flashing on the screen or being read out automatically when I have passengers lol :oops:

I did go to Apple Store to look at the app ..... Not available in uk store

I would be interested in the drive tracking part - performance etc.
I know you get all that anyway but the graphs look interesting

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You just do it all on the steering wheel buttons gazing at the screen through the wheel. It's also got voice recognisition for phoning out. You pair it and off you go. You can reply to text via voice recognition and have predefined replies with swiggles on the centre console. Basically built in hands free with lots of extras. You would probably want to plug it into the USB port for charging unless you got wireless charging. There are some Seat videos on its use.

Going onto the Drive App, that allows you to access the cars own stored technical data. Pitty you couldn't access it via Apple store... hmmm. On Android you can side load so obtain apps where they haven't decided your device is up to it but will likely run or / and it's not released for the country. There are issues if you do this in case the app has been hacked. You are in control of your updates if you do this. Android you have to toggle off app download security to get it in. Given I use a tablet I'm use to some apps being picky.

This is at your own risk but a relatively safe site for APK Android side loads is Apk4blackberry.com since people with Blackberry Android devices are stuffed from the Google Playstore, so a good effort is made to generate these side loading APK files from side stepping the Google methods to restrict access to devices and countries

http://apk4blackberry.com/down_SEAT-DriveApp.html

You toggle security as it installs, side loading is turned off. It installs. You check mark country, language, car (yes Ateca is in), model, engine, paint colour, then you get the about tutorial. Very pretty. Uses Mirrorlink or Android Auto.

Then you have to create an account. Going to use by Google account. How old am I, haha.

All setup, I just need the car. :).

(the one in the link is 2.2, a newer one 2.4.2 was released this month... the problem with side loading, looking for another side loading site for 2.4.2 that won't dump a load of rubbish on the device, 1Mobile use to hassle me so I deleted that app)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Reckon the app will be launched in the U.K. App Store for iOS pretty soon. If it's out in spain there is no logical reason it wouldn't be out in the Uk.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not out in Germany since they were moaning on their board. Could be that it hasn't been cleared with Apple and Google yet for Germany. For Android I'd have to have one of the chosen devices, but I always side step that.

There will be no reason why the Android one doesn't work if you load it in, if you had an Android device. I'm interested in the engineering screens of engine performance (with graphs) and fuel consumption that it's lifting off the car's system rather than reading tweets on the Infotainment screen and showing the weather which it also does.

Some screen shots to wet the appetite:

From the demo menu:

·
Registered
979 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kindness71 said:
Just found this video of a demo of the app and full link. Looks good but even the SEAT expert struggled to get her phone connected at first :lol:

https://www.xaniatube.com/seat-connectivity-feature-smartphone-full-link-in-seat-ateca-autogefuhl_e370af8ca.html
Thanks Kindness, the one I've got side loaded isn't the most recent, if any of you load from the Google store the most recent I might be asking you to produce an apk of it. Haven't found the Sept. Version elsewhere.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ghiggz is a star and posted up the extracted APK file for the latest version 2.4.2 released in circa 21st September 2016, see page 4, that's for anybody with an Android device that's having problems with the Playstore being picky about the model:

http://atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=218&start=30

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought I would drop Seat Spanish developers a line over the DriveApp not being shown on the Google Playstore for my device so as to encourage them to make it available. I got this replay:

We regret to confirm that your phablet Samsung Tab S2 is not compatible with our apps, since it is not listed as a compatible phone of MirrorLink. On the following web page you can check the MirrorLink-enabled phones:

http://www.mirrorlink.com/phones

Regarding the irregular extraction of .apk, please bear in mind that our Brand do not recommend the use of .apk since any malfunction could endanger road safety and incur legal problems. Therefore, since it is not compatible with your device, it does not appear in Google Play.

Nevertheless, we kindly ask you to provide us with your country of residence and the chassis number of your vehicle, so the responsible departments can take your case into account.

Yours sincerely,

International Customer Care, SEAT S.A.
Thus on that basis any of us with non listed devices will be looking to Ghizzy for updates as they come out in the future or any other kind hearted people :). I would recommend that you did email Seat on the email shown on the Google Playstore so they might add devices.

Edit... bit of too-ing and throwing with Seat in Spain on this.

Whilst the DriveApp video above suggests that it will work with Android Auto (0:48), Seat Spain is claiming that it only works with MirrorLink, not Android Auto. I have the Android Auto app installed but not the car !. Anybody like to check, the drop down menu does suggest that you can select Android Auto rather than MirorLink. So I'm thinking, hopefully, customer service was ill, informed.

Quick bit of research and MirrorLink is like an extension to your Android operating system, you either have it or you don't. It's not an additional app. So that's not going to happen if it doesn't work with Android Auto. I'm not routing it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
From what I gather from it, Android auto basically just allows certain selected android apps to function as they would on your device but on the 8" screen instead as a separate entity, and just use the phone as a gateway to the web, ie google maps, Facebook, what's app, etc, and think you can only install it on certain versions of Android, I think it's 5 upwards?

To use the seat drive/connect apps you need to connect the device then via mirror link instead, which is nothing more than a communication protocol to allow the two devices to talk and the app on the device ie seat drive does all the work and it simply mirrors its screen to the car.. Hence the name!!

This may be wrong but that's my take from what I have read...

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a pain if that's the case and it doesn't use the connectivity of the Android Auto app. That drop down in the video would suggest alternatives connections to MirrorLink, unless that's a bit of his direction in the video.

I can't find an alternatives to MirrorLink which you can install to provide the functionality. You would think it's a common problem that people want MirrorLink but don't have it on the phone apart from the operating system being routed and a module or something installed. Pass on that. Still will remain an Apple free household. :). Saying this MirrorLink isn't popular and hasn't taken off in the US which may be why there are not work arounds.

·
Registered
581 Posts
From wikipedia..

Android auto

Rather than running its own operating system, the head unit will serve as an external display for the Android device, which runs all of the software, by presenting a car-specific user interface built into Lollipop.

Mirrorlink

MirrorLink is a device interoperability standard that offers integration between a smartphone and a car's infotainment system.
MirrorLink transforms smartphones into automotive application platforms where apps are hosted and run on the smartphone while drivers and passengers interact with them through the steering wheel controls, dashboard buttons and touch screens of their car's In-Vehicle Infotainment (IVI) system

Sounds like the same thing to me...
It seems mirrorlink was out first and is multi platform, and then apple and Android brought out their own versions, but in essence all three are essentially the same thing...

So assume a device that runs any one of them will suffice??

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ghiggz said:
Sounds like the same thing to me...
It seems mirrorlink was out first and is multi platform, and then apple and Android brought out their own versions, but in essence all three are essentially the same thing...

So assume a device that runs any one of them will suffice??
All 3 do essentially the same thing yes. There are some differences (apart from the obvious CarPlay is iPhone only, android is android only..). Mirror link was the first attempt and then apple and google thought they could do a better job by keeping things in house. This article does a fairly good job of explaining the differences, albeit from a developer standpoint.

https://blog.noser.com/android-auto-vs-apple-carplay-vs-mirrorlink/

Compatibility seems more of an issue on an iPhone, it's essentially CarPlay or nothing. Android you get to use both Auto and mirror link if you have a later device. One advantage of Carplay is its compatible with all recent iPhones, any released in last 4 years, so iPhone 5, 5s, 5C, 6, 6S, SE and 7. You don't get the same fragmentation of "will it work on my version/manufacturer" as you do with Android. Although you replace your phone more often than your car, so chances are within 18 months you will get a compatible device.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm hoping it's customer services and that drop down you see in the video shows <<Mirrorlink>>, <<Android Auto>>, then why I can't find it in the playstore is that MirrorLink isn't supported on the device but Android Auto is. The Seat app using the MirrorLink as the defined list of devices that they allow you to download it on and customer services have the wrong end of the stick and the developers have goofed. That being the case continue to nag Seat so they allow it for the Samsung Tab S2 and anything else that Android Auto will load onto.

I need someone with

a. the car
b. the Seat DriveApp

then to check whether that drop down is as it appears in the video and can be toggled to Android Auto. Even better a device that's like mine which doesn't have MirrorLink but can download AndroidAuto and use Ghiggz APK file he provided. Another Seat car will do with full link.

When you look at that video to me

it seems to say it works on all three platforms but if you only have MirrorLink then it will work on that. That's what Seat had before full link. Thus I'm hoping it's a Seat screw up but we will see.

PS my new car is still sunning itself on the continent

·
Registered
119 Posts
Tell said:
I thought I would drop Seat Spanish developers a line over the DriveApp not being shown on the Google Playstore for my device so as to encourage them to make it available. I got this replay:

We regret to confirm that your phablet Samsung Tab S2 is not compatible with our apps, since it is not listed as a compatible phone of MirrorLink. On the following web page you can check the MirrorLink-enabled phones:

http://www.mirrorlink.com/phones

Regarding the irregular extraction of .apk, please bear in mind that our Brand do not recommend the use of .apk since any malfunction could endanger road safety and incur legal problems. Therefore, since it is not compatible with your device, it does not appear in Google Play.

Nevertheless, we kindly ask you to provide us with your country of residence and the chassis number of your vehicle, so the responsible departments can take your case into account.

Yours sincerely,

International Customer Care, SEAT S.A.
That's load of rubbish...i have an LG G4 Which supports Mirror link as per the link they provided , but i cant install seat drive app for my phone because my phone isn't supported by app according to play store.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The test is going to be when one gets the car. So your device was left off the Playstore even thou MirrorLink is supported.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've missed most of this thread I must say but I have used android auto in the car but it is very limited. You can use Google maps and it reads out your messages and you can use voice control to reply but apart from that it doesn't seem to do a lot.

I have the Seat drive app installed on my phone but I haven't actually tried mirrorlink. I will need to give it a go and get back to you all. I automatically selected android auto because... it said android...? Haha

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It should give you a bit of engineering information plus social media stuff. I'm interested in the engineering bit. So on that where there is a toggle of linking up via Mirror Link or xxxxx, I want that to be Android Auto since I can't get Mirror Link on my device.

Also interested whether you can send your POIs to the cars satnav rather than Google maps. That's for hiking where you get the coordinates to a car park in the middle of know where from another app and want to put them in the car, bit convoluted with car's system since they go in, in degree, minutes and seconds... but can cope with that. I got an app to do the coordinate conversion but would be nice if it was seem less.

Thanks in advance... you know how to do screen shots with Android ?. Hold the power button and the home button together, it will go click and save the screen image... us youngsters ;). Interested in what you may post up.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts