Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just don't get these?

Can anybody explain what they do, are they qorth it or not?

I have yet to discover if a new car needs anything of these for x years.... had assumed it needed nothing for one year - or does first year service come free?

Bear in mind that I am new to car ownership (bicycle and old vw camper which been off road for 3 years)

Thanks

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Modern cars don't need the 600 mile first service like they use too and service intervals extended to every two years. Technically it needs nothing till then but if you cherish your vehicle like the camper van you may well decide two year services are far too long. Honest John thinks it's daft to have them serviced every two years and should be done annually. PCPers probably aren't so bothered and pay up for the second year, change in the third year.

I was going to buy in advance the service plan and get it done annually but since they miss built my car less the wireless charger they gave me that back in return. Cost effective to buy that in advance. Long term once the warranty runs out booked Seat services online provide annual European breakdown recovery so that's a good one. Vehicle recovered to the Seat garage of your choice not 10 miles to the nearest as some cheaper recovery services.

Warranty extension is another one. They are a bit sharp with this, once you take delivery you can't extend the warranty until the free period is up when it will cost more. Given the chaos I had on pick up day that one slipped so something to think about before delivery day. They refused to budge on that. I think it may even be on the day the order is placed. Something they don't like to offer even thou it's available to purchase. I know some people here bought it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tell - that helps a lot.

Not sure yet what to do about service plan as am in two minds and need to not get carried away with even more additional monthly costs. My mileage will be low for initial few years as it will just be to work and mum visits.. In a few years (intend to keeo it for several years) when I retire early (ha ha ha) I would use it more.

I already have the AA recovery full thing and warranty add ons for his motorbike, my camper and the my mum's Rover25.. of which only the Rover is on the road! Then again the warranty on,y covers up to £500 so am assuming the extended warranty for the Seat would be full on and not restricted to value?

Is there a link to the Seat extended warranty anybody? Find the website a bit poo to be honest.

Anybody else have views on thsi servicing and maintenance packs etc?

Diolch

·
Registered
231 Posts
I too found the service plans a bit overwhelming - like KFC's menu. Maybe it's an age thing.

The really helpful Lucy at my local (non-supplying) dealer summarised it for me with reference to the 2 back pages. It's cheaper to purchase the 3 year plan within the first 3 months - after which you can only buy the 2 year plan. So don't forget.

Confusingly the 3 yr plan payments are spread over 2 years but cost in total the same as if paid in a single lump.

These are for a fixed mileage/annual service regime, not the variable one; but I think that's more appropriate in your case anyway. It's all so simple now.

And don't believe everything Honest John says as he's an old fuddy duddy who uses every opportunity to say that you will be uncomfortable on low profile tyres with big wheels.

I've gone for the extended 5 year warranty as the car's a keeper. As with Skoda you can add this prior to registration whereas with Audi it needs to be "built" in.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks heaps for the useful information - thought it was a girl thing but will go with the age thing as well!

Have got head round the warranty thing - thanks. Have sent email to dealer to sort it out. Got confused when they called it 5 year when really it is just two years on top of the 3 that come with car (must have been written by a man!)

I am slowly getting t understand the idea behind the service plan thing but no idea if this is a good deal or not.. they don;t tell you how much these services or bits'n'bobs cost if I don't have the service deal..

Anybody got any idea - what are savings on just phoning up as and when for service with a dealer without the plan thing? Or is it more than just that?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ps - do new cars have MOT or need one when I 'turn up' to collect?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I went for both :cool:

So, first the easy one - the extended warranty. I was told that you can only get the 4 or 5 year warranty extension at order time. If you're worried about that and think you might like it then speak to your dealer. The Ateca price list says this:

SEAT Extended Warranty. If you take out a SEAT Extended Warranty before your new car is registered, you'll get exactly the same level of cover as the three year warranty, but for up to five years. You can choose a SEAT Extended Warranty to last until the end of the 4th year/up to 75,000 miles or until the end of the 5th year/up to 90,000 miles (whichever is soonest).

PLEASE NOTE: SEAT Extended Warranty products are only available at the time of ordering your new SEAT.
So as always, conflicting information from Seat! For me it was a personal choice, risk etc. - having been stung by just out of warranty repairs once before, in the grand scheme of things the £460 for the 5-year was worth it. Others will disagree. Anecdotally cars tend to either fail / have problems in the first year, or after about 5 years. It's up to you whether you want it or not.

As for service plans - again up to you. Normally they make financial sense, but this flexible servicing malarky means you can never quite tell. Previous car was supplied on a 1 year / 12,000 miles servicing and the fixed price servicing worked out (prices at the time were 1st year service, £160, 2nd year £210, 3rd year £160 + MOT £50 - vs cost of fixed price of £350!). (Note they've now removed the free first year MOT from the plan).

I'm a low-mileage user, but that's in Greater London / Surrey / M25 traffic so even at the best of times I want to take care of a car that I'm hoping to have for 10 years. I fully suspect given my driving habits that I'll need the annual servicing so I budgeted for the annual service scheme - if it turns out I need only a 2 year servicing then, well, VW Financial Services (who actually run it) made some money out of me (less than 0.7% of the purchase price), otherwise I saved money.

The 3-year service plan costs £498. Set that against the fixed-pricing servicing costs of:

• 1st year service: £189
  • 2nd year service: £239
  • Minor service: £169
  • Major service: £279

If you were planning on annual servicing then, costs for 3 years would be £597, vs. fixed price of £498 (Save £99)
If you were planning on two year servicing then, costs for 3 years would be £239, vs. fixed price of £498 (Lose £260)

You can set up the servicing when you pick up the car, or within 90 days if you want to go for the 3-year plan (see: http://www.seat.co.uk/owners/your-seat/servicing-maintenance/fixed-price-servicing.html )

If you bought a new SEAT in the last three months, you're eligible for a 2 or 3 year fixed price Service Plan, which gives you reassurance that your car will be serviced by trained SEAT technicians, using only approved SEAT parts.
So you have nothing to lose on the servicing by waiting until you pick up the car to talk to the dealer. Assuming of course you like your dealer, or trust a local Seat outfit with your servicing :)

In terms of 'using' the Seat plans all you need to do is book your service as normal and say that you're on the fixed price servicing and that's it. When you pick up the car the bill (subject to the usual legal exclusions!) is already settled and that's the end of the matter. I just book my car in online through Seat, giving me the free European AA cover, and when dropping the car off tell the service desk.

Be aware that some large chains of dealers offer their own service plans too (not many); what I've been describing here are the Seat plans. (Caveat emptor).

·
Registered
328 Posts
missy said:
No, new cars do not need an MOT until it's 3rd anniversary. Be aware the 1.4 litre engine needs servicing a minimum every 12 months, not 2 years like previously suggested.

·
Registered
778 Posts
missy said:
No, brand spanking new cars do not need an MOT test for 3 years. As the driver you are still required to keep the car road legal (so cracked windscreens etc. need to be fixed) but you are not required to undergo the test until the 3rd anniversary from the registration date. (That's the date the car was first registered, NOT the date you picked up the car - they can be different). When your V5c registration certificate comes through it'll list the registration date on that if you're unsure.

See: https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot

1. When to get an MOT

The MOT test checks that your vehicle meets road safety and environmental standards.

You must get an MOT for your vehicle by either:
  • the third anniversary of its registration
  • the anniversary of its last MOT, if it's over 3 years old

Some vehicles need to be tested at one year old - check the MOT fees table to see which.
That last URL in the quote gives all the vehicle categories in case you're curious, but for a normal mass-produced car it's 3 years.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I'm on this one from the brochure which works out cheaper than having your money in a bank although due to the miss build didn't cost me anything and would have gone for it

THREE YEARS/30,000 MILES COVER
Save £99

Against the current fixed price
individual prices.
36 months cover for only
24 monthly payments of £20.75
or an upfront payment of £498
Includes 1st and 2nd year services and
Minor service. Protection from inflation
- price is fixed for 24 monthly payments.
So upfront payment of £498 gives you three years years servicing, 3rd year free recovery saves £99.

16.66 % saving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
May I add a warning on taking out VAG Service Plans.

Should you sell the car earlier than you might have expected and during the period of the plan, you may lose money because you are unable to transfer to another car. You can cancel the plan but you might not have had the full value from your payments at that point.

I suffered on a 3 yr plan when I sold my Golf to take the Ateca, but it had to be done.

My dealer is not selling the SEAT plans, only their own service plans, because they have had many complaints about this. So just something you should be aware of when considering your options.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've just signed up to a 3 service plan directly with the dealer. They use EMaC Ltd which is the same company that was used when I covered my previous Mitsubishi. I cancelled that agreement when I got the Ateca and I had no problems getting a refund of unspent contributions less a £25 cancellation admin fee.

The only annoying thing was when I asked EMaC if I could transfer the plan to the new dealership. I told them who it was and they said they didn't have a contract with them :roll: . Could have saved myself the £25 fee.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Curious - the fixed-price service plans can be transferred with the vehicle to the new owner; they go with the vehicle (as you'd expect; although most general services are one price, some items do vary be vehicle). So if selling the vehicle you should price that in (http://www.seat.co.uk/content/dam/countries/uk/Download%20documents/Fixed-price-servicing).

The key stipulation is "once all payments have been made" and "non-refundable". It is a bit of a gotcha, I'll give you that - they are good value, but only if it fits your circumstances. The up-side is you can go to any SEAT dealer/service centre, however. In fairness SEAT do call it out but they don't make it absolutely obvious (I didn't spot it when signing up).

If you intend on selling/changing your car in 2 years before the second service (2 year plan), or 3 years before the third service (3 year plan) then it doeesn't work out. If you intend on selling/changing after 3 years (or 30,000 miles) then all good.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Etchings said:
Curious - the fixed-price service plans can be transferred with the vehicle to the new owner; they go with the vehicle (as you'd expect;
'
I bought a 5 year service plan with my previous car as they were offering it at a very good price. (Worked out around £75 a service!) That too was transferrable. The car however wasn't for me and after 18 months, I sold it. Told the garage the car came with a service plan included which was transferrable.

Now here's the issue. Selling private then the service plan option should be a plus factor, but selling to the trade? The car sat at the dealership for around 4 months and never once did they advertise the fact it came with 4 free manufacturer services. When I called in to the garage I mentioned that to them - wouldn't the car have sold quicker if you'd advertised the free services? They said probably, but they also managed to sell their own servicing package with the car !!! :eek:

And that's the trouble - there's more profit to be made by selling 'extras' with the car so in the case of free servicing or free warranty - the trade won't give you a penny more for your car because it's not in their interests to obtain a car with these packages included.

That's something I'd never considered before. :idea: So my old car was infact sold with TWO servicing packages!

Moral of the above dribble? For anyone purchasing a used car - ALWAYS contact the previous owner to check it's history.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had been intending getting the full service plan thing as my car had arrived and I intended to keepnit several years.

However, due to the problem I had with dealership and their latest 'oops' moment they did not order my factory extended warranty. Now I am to swap mu car with identical with warranty. That means dealership orders and another wait until 'swap' day in a few months.

So should it be a problem not putting service deal on 'my' car now even if it could takes months until replacement arrives?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi Missy - Given you're getting the car changed in a few months, there's no benefit that I can see to putting a service plan on your current vehicle...it's unlikely to be ready for a service by the time you swap. Take one out on the new car if you want to, when it arrives.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yep, agree totally with Grahamn - unless you're expecting to wait over a year / 10,000 miles until you get the replacement then you won't need to get the car serviced so no point.

·
Registered
71 Posts
3 Year Service plan in Ireland is €300 so we are going with that. Gets the car serviced once a year as we do a lot of KM

·
Registered
188 Posts
I thought the service plan seemed reasonable. Even moreso after Kia called and offered me a 3 year plan on our cee'd for a total of £640!

I asked her why I would pay all that, drive miles to the service centre, when I could take it to my regular mechanic less than a mile away, for a lot less. Needless to say she didn't have an answer to that.

·
Registered
579 Posts
As I have a 4 year PCP deal I've gone for the 3 service plan. This works out at £544. It doesn't save a huge amount (I think it was around £90) over the period but it still averages out at just £181 per service which is quite a bit cheaper than my Mitsubishi ASX. The first and third are actually cheaper than the average because the second picks up additional parts and fluids to replace. Does this look similar to others in the UK?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts