Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if you get any updates for the navigation system? Only, when I went to drop my eldest off at work earlier he pointed out that the nav said the limit was 70 when in reality it's 60 and then it didn't Spot a roundabout and road system which has been in place for nearly a year. All within a couple of miles at home.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had a quick look and I can't find anything relative to the nav. I'll look more in depth later. Don't suppose you could upload a link? ;)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
In Europe Seat sell Mapcare which gives you three or so years of updates. In the UK Seat don't. You have to pay on a one off basis for each. What you see on the net is the Mapcare download sites. UK Leon mk3 owners have been trying for a number of years to get those to work, they haven't. A few seem to have been able to buy the complete SD map card rather than the update off ebay, pop it in and it works. Then it seems for an equal number it doesn't.

There is a very long thread on another board that covers people trying to upload the map care files. Best to view it perhaps as dibbling about with viewer cards.

The important things are whether you have the standard navigation system or plus. The software update and the serial number of the annual release of the maps. Think it's about now that Seat release the annual maps, so interesting to know who has got what. That's a starting point.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It'll be annoying if we have cars with map data that's going to be out of date in a couple of weeks. Thank goodness for Apple AirPlay , Android Auto, and the 50quid Garmin from Halfords with the lifetime map updates!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I spent 20 miles on a non existent Japanese road yesterday. The cars satnav was issuing intense instructions to turn right as one approached a T junction according to cars Satnav, but the road ahead was open, swapped to Google Maps got a Japanese data SIM, also have a track running on my other device. I love to navigate more easy than driving :).

Back to Seat. Yes the SD map cards are modified ones with a data area not normaly found on SD cards that contains the card's ID that's registered to the car. In the installation process this happens. Changing the data on the card via those Mapcare download sites means that the bit of data that isn't written normally doesn't tally with what has been written so it doesn't work. If it did, those in Europe who hadn't paid for Mapcare would get free upgrades.

So that leaves the question of why some people got their complete new eBay cards to work and others didn't. It seemed the cars software that the unit was running under was different. That's my praisy of the long thread you may find elsewhere covering the Leon Mk3 owners in the UK trying to use the Mapcare download site and their experience of how they got on buying the new ebay cards.

So really anyone kicking off on this needs to know the head ends software and year of the map file release. Early days for the Ateca on this. I think you could moan if you were sold a car with an old map file SD card. The German board was talking about the serial number of the map files. A number of owners got there cars less the SD card.

Haven't got my car yet and mine will be a Navigation Plus so upgrade routes are different. Owners of the standard system could usefully post up their details perhaps if they felt diddled. You do a key combination to read off the details.... I will be checking mine when I get my car.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
That site tells you how to read off the one you have and having done that you can't do much else if you haven't got the European continent only marketed Mapcare 3 year warranty. You need your own pet Russian hacker from then on or someone equally skilled. Don't think anybody has achieved anything from the maps from this site. Only the eBay purchased complete new ones and that's patchy as far as Leon Mk3 owners. I'm sure I'll be told if I'm wrong. This has been a preoccupation of Leon Mk3 UK owners.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Belluszyra said:
So does the sat nav include speed camera warnings.

Thanks
That's what I'll be trying to do with the Plus system along these lines as I previously posted up. Invitation for any one to try in advance on the standard or plus systems. Have to wait for November for me to try it myself. People do it on their Golf 7s. Leon owners aren't very chatty so I haven't had my question answered elsewhere. It's possible Seat my have taken the beep warning out, we'll see. German website was bemoaning the beep etc. I reckon it will work myself.... although re reading the German thread again it does say no beep from the imported POIs. Think I will dummy up a POI and test it. Think I might be going to be disappointed perhaps....

http://atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=254&p=1960&hilit=speed+cameras#p1960

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know that my standard system doesn't have speed camera warnings, the sales chap said that legally they're not allowed to have them any more. Whether he was telling the truth or not is another story but the system hasn't shown any cameras even though I've driven past several over the weekend.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I "think" it says, you can download the ready made poi's from a site, convert them using garmin poi loader then put on an SD and import them using menu system on the nav..??

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Ghiggz said:
I "think" it says, you can download the ready made poi's from a site, convert them using garmin poi loader then put on an SD and import them using menu system on the nav..??
It's the beeps that the German site is saying is not possible... time shift I should be asleep. Does the Spanish site say anything about beeps.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I know with tomtom standalone devices, each device has a unique serial embedded in the firmware and the valid map serial is then generated off the back of that, which is why you cant put the map from another device onto your one, as it sees the serial on the map as a mismatch to the one on your device..
someone made a program that rips your serial from the device and embeds it into a downloaded map...
I was able to use that to update everyone in my works 3yr old tomtoms to the lastest map... ha!!

So if Garmin do the mapping for the Seat system there is maybe a similar workaround... although I wont be motivated to look for it myself seeing as mine wont have nav, and i'll be using google maps!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Tell said:
It's the beeps that the German site is saying is not possible... time shift I should be asleep. Does the Spanish site say anything about beeps.
Someone in the Spanglish thread asks

"Someone who has already gotten radars know if the browser alerts you, when you approach one beep?"

and the reply is

"If you put the file that puts that comes with audible warning, yes, it makes a tone as associate that is the radar already know are radars."

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
OK the Spanish thread in English

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.clubseatateca.com/temas/como-cargar-los-raderes-fijos-como-poi-en-nuestro-navegador.1055/&prev=search

I think they are getting the beeps on the cameras, second page. People do get sanctimonious about speed camera detection in some countries. Beeps are toggled on the import software if done via the VW site. Perhaps the Germans hadn't done that.... hmmm.

Ghiggz, will book mark the video page, thanks.

Think I will use the Ozzie Web link I posted up some months ago which covered the Golf 7 - it's in English. I can only see that you would loose the beeps if VW modified the import option on their Web site, they altered the unit or one made a mistake. Essentially the VW Web site makes a database file for upload and it's that from your supplied POIs that has to be toggled with the beep set on. If VW was trying to be difficult they could have stopped that bit from doing that rather than the headend. There are other sites that produce that file as an alternative. So the German Ateca Forum seems to be wrong...

Back to sleep on my rice pillow. :). (can't beat cross posting)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.