Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys / Girls... who have Seat Sound....

What do you think?...

I'm definitely no audiophile but love my music... I'm just not happy with my Seat Sound upgrade... I think it sounds dreadful, and I'm beginning to think something's not right.... i have played with all the settings and equalisers and can't really find a setting that sounds good. I set them as per (Tell's Pictures, Thanks Tell!) but it's just not right, I do have a lot of centre speaker focus and can dim that down.

If I move the Fader to top Left or Right (so it's on front door speakers) they just sound muffled and awful, it seems the only clarity that comes from the whole car is the centre speaker.... maybe all others are midrange or Bass?... other than that I think it's very echoey like a convert hall setting....

Another issue is I just manage to get a setting that sounds ok... disconnect my CarPlay and the Radio and USB inputs sounds dreadful... I don't want to have to keep playing with settings...

I really need to get in another Ateca with Seat Sound and check it's not just mine... feel free to share your views on this... apart from this god do I love this car!....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
I'm like you - not audiophile but I like good sound quality.
I have no lot of experience with other systems but cannot complain on my SeatSound.

What source do you use and what format? FM Radio has limited quality, MP3 - depends on compression, streaming - quality depends on network connection. Bluetooth - I heard there is quality limitation (but I cannot imagine how - this is digital streaming anyway)

Try good source first - I use DAB radio and FLAC files and they sound perfect, however from your description I'm not sure if this would help much.

I'm based in Dublin so if you like - I'm here to demo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pch said:
I'm like you - not audiophile but I like good sound quality.
I have no lot of experience with other systems but cannot complain on my SeatSound.

What source do you use and what format? FM Radio has limited quality, MP3 - depends on compression, streaming - quality depends on network connection. Bluetooth - I heard there is quality limitation (but I cannot imagine how - this is digital streaming anyway)

Try good source first - I use DAB radio and FLAC files and they sound perfect, however from your description I'm not sure if this would help much.

I'm based in Dublin so if you like - I'm here to demo.
Thanks PCH, I'v tried using using DAB and both my iPhone iTunes music and Spotify, also FLAC on USB, I just can't find a happy medium, in yet to try a shop bought CD I'll have to give that a whirl.... Thanks for the offer in Dublin, but I'm sure if I was there I'd be in
Temple Bar :lol:

I'm in North East England Billingham....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
No problem - you can sort both in one go :lol:

Check out youtube, there is some clips with Leon Sound Sound available (if you want to compare crappy recorded sound to real speakers) :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
The FLAC file sound will be identical to a CD just uncompressed from loss less in real time. As you I wasn't happy with the Seat Sound System first of all through with the Plus unit and as I said the centre speaker was being overloaded. The sound balance control did nothing to improve it since you couldn't fade out the front centre which was getting too much treble. Hence the solution that worked for me and the partner. First of all said that's rubbish. It was at that point that the ftont speaker was rattling as if there was a plastic bag siting on the diaphragm speaker. Hence the surgery on the equaliser which fixed it. I do suspect that this was a Navigation Plus thing with the unit not balancing the sound between the speakers correctly and crossovers not working too well to stop the wrong frequency spectrum getting into the centre speaker plus the lack of useful controls. It's power to the cause for you.

Apart from making sure you start off with everything set on the default positions first including the sub woofer (you got some output on there ?), vehicle sound fucus set to default and equaliser flat. Use a FLAC file with a piece of music you know well with alot of treble detail and bass, plus vocals and start adjusting from there. Keep replaying the same track making adjustments till it sounds good.

The centre speaker is mid range to bass, door speakers mid range, tweeters in the pillars, sub woofer the boot. That was my problem too much treble was getting threw to the centre dash speaker. I also set the auto volume control too off as well since I notice it's action when the car is moving which irritates me.

DAB is a worse sound source than FM as you probably know since the bit rate is sacrificed to get as many stations through the multiplex as possible for reasons of cost. R3 is fine since they dare not touch that.

Lastly, speakers also need to be run in as well so all may not be lost. This process may take a couple of weeks although there is debate in some quarters on the subject. But generally hi-fi speakers get better after a short period. I have found car speakers I have installed myself previously improve with use. You can Google the subject. 20 - 30 hours of use.

Example

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/blog/how-run-speakers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmmmm Thankyou for the info guys... I spoke with the dealer today and am definitely going to compare with another car and get this checked out....

I wonder if there is a build issue?... my problem relates to Davids in that I don't think it's very loud neither!.... its like something is holding it back, my Transit van stereo goes uncomfortably loud and I wouldn't have it on highest setting but the Seats I could listen on top notch all day long... (if it sounded right) I think with so much centre speaker focus it sounds quite Mono...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tell said:
The FLAC file sound will be identical to a CD just uncompressed from loss less in real time. As you I wasn't happy with the Seat Sound System first of all through with the Plus unit and as I said the centre speaker was being overloaded. The sound balance control did nothing to improve it since you couldn't fade out the front centre which was getting too much treble. Hence the solution that worked for me and the partner. First of all said that's rubbish. It was at that point that the ftont speaker was rattling as if there was a plastic bag siting on the diaphragm speaker. Hence the surgery on the equaliser which fixed it. I do suspect that this was a Navigation Plus thing with the unit not balancing the sound between the speakers correctly and crossovers not working too well to stop the wrong frequency spectrum getting into the centre speaker plus the lack of useful controls. It's power to the cause for you.

Apart from making sure you start off with everything set on the default positions first including the sub woofer (you got some output on there ?), vehicle sound fucus set to default and equaliser flat. Use a FLAC file with a piece of music you know well with alot of treble detail and bass, plus vocals and start adjusting from there. Keep replaying the same track making adjustments till it sounds good.

The centre speaker is mid range to bass, door speakers mid range, tweeters in the pillars, sub woofer the boot. That was my problem too much treble was getting threw to the centre dash speaker. I also set the auto volume control too off as well since I notice it's action when the car is moving which irritates me.

DAB is a worse sound source than FM as you probably know since the bit rate is sacrificed to get as many stations through the multiplex as possible for reasons of cost. R3 is fine since they dare not touch that.

Lastly, speakers also need to be run in as well so all may not be lost. This process may take a couple of weeks although there is debate in some quarters on the subject. But generally hi-fi speakers get better after a short period. I have found car speakers I have installed myself previously improve with use. You can Google the subject. 20 - 30 hours of use.

Example

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/blog/how-run-speakers
Interesting info Tell...

I know all too well about DAB I'm a telecoms engineer and manage the 128kb ISDN2 links that's carry the DAB broadcasts :lol:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
;)... I access the BBC's HLS streams using MinimStreamer on a Raspberry Pi networked (in the home obviously). This is when the BBC caused chaos by pulling other internet feeds as they went ahead with their HLS / Dash internet protocol so made peoples internet radios stop working working, thanks to a retired IBM engineer who's behind the Minim project sorted it out for people. I had to get into a bit of Linux. I bought the Raspberry Pi t shirt as well and put it on for technical stuff... it helps :). 320 AAC feeds they are very good and now spread to the regions.

Mine is loud but then it's the Navigation Plus that it's connected too. It does sound fine now but did sound dreadful without that adjustment I made.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
I know this is probably a stupid question but when using your iPhone to play music you did try increasing the volume on the phone rocker switch when maxed out on the infotainment volume? I was surprised when the volume sometimes needed increasing this way :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tell said:
Mine is loud but then it's the Navigation Plus that it's connected too. It does sound fine now but did sound dreadful without that adjustment I made.
Just tried an actual Audio CD... i managed to find a song and Tweak it so it sounded great... skip to the next song not so good... i think i need to find some all round settings.... I'm still gonna hit the dealership and try another car though i'm still not convinced :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tell said:
Mine is loud but then it's the Navigation Plus that it's connected too. It does sound fine now but did sound dreadful without that adjustment I made.
Just tried an actual Audio CD... i managed to find a song and Tweak it so it sounded great... skip to the next song not so good... i think i need to find some all round settings.... I'm still gonna hit the dealership and try another car though i'm still not convinced :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kindness71 said:
I know this is probably a stupid question but when using your iPhone to play music you did try increasing the volume on the phone rocker switch when maxed out on the infotainment volume? I was surprised when the volume sometimes needed increasing this way :D
Yup... On Bluetooth you can.. but when on Car Play i found you can't do this... its not quiet... but its not uncomfortably loud... :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Addycarra said:
Kindness71 said:
I know this is probably a stupid question but when using your iPhone to play music you did try increasing the volume on the phone rocker switch when maxed out on the infotainment volume? I was surprised when the volume sometimes needed increasing this way :D
Yup... On Bluetooth you can.. but when on Car Play i found you can't do this... its not quiet... but its not uncomfortably loud... :lol: :lol: :lol:
mmm ok not sure why you want to be looking for "uncomfortably loud" to be honest :shock: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
I can say that I always play SD on it. Nothing else, might have a bearing, dunno.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kindness71 said:
Addycarra said:
Kindness71 said:
I know this is probably a stupid question but when using your iPhone to play music you did try increasing the volume on the phone rocker switch when maxed out on the infotainment volume? I was surprised when the volume sometimes needed increasing this way :D
Yup... On Bluetooth you can.. but when on Car Play i found you can't do this... its not quiet... but its not uncomfortably loud... :lol: :lol: :lol:
mmm ok not sure why you want to be looking for "uncomfortably loud" to be honest :shock: :lol: :lol:
Haha.... I don't really need it uncomfortably loud... but I think you lose sound quality if its more than 3/4 most systems clip before the speakers give and crackle... I was just saying my transit goes louder :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
Tell said:
The centre speaker is mid range to bass, door speakers mid range, tweeters in the pillars, sub woofer the boot. That was my problem too much treble was getting threw to the centre dash speaker.

DAB is a worse sound source than FM as you probably know since the bit rate is sacrificed to get as many stations through the multiplex as possible for reasons of cost. R3 is fine since they dare not touch that.

Lastly, speakers also need to be run in as well so all may not be lost. This process may take a couple of weeks although there is debate in some quarters on the subject. But generally hi-fi speakers get better after a short period. I have found car speakers I have installed myself previously improve with use. You can Google the subject. 20 - 30 hours of use.

Example

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/blog/how-run-speakers
Apologies for the long reply but... Been reading this thread and wondering if people are having unrealistic expections or even entering the realms of fantasy regarding these manufacturer 'upgrades'.

Like most things sound is subjective - what suits one person won't suit another so it's all pretty pointless advising others on specific settings, but there are some things above which need a reply because they're misleading at best. Perhaps an understanding of such 'upgrades' is needed to judge expectations. In my younger days I was interested in home and eventually car hi fi and took great pleasure and care building 'steath' systems. Best system I ever built was in to my V70 - about £3k's worth and you couldn't tell the car from std. (I'm not in the car enough these days to benefit from such time, effort not to mention expense!)

I agree about DAB. The Ateca is the first car I've owned where FM sounds richer than DAB. I wan't sure why but I'll accept the above explanation even if I don't understand it. :D

Tell, the link provided above is for higher-end home hi-fi. Car hi-fi is a completely different beast altogether and as such, that link is as much use as a chocolate teapot. Besides, it's aimed at quality components assembled by hand by a small engineering firm, not mass produced cheap as chips products assembled on a factory production line.

I didn't chose the SEAT Sound upgrade because with the odd exception, manufacturer upgrades make little or no difference. I've even heard some upgrades which sound worse. At £330 which includes the £180 spare wheel, we're entering the realms of fantasy if anyone is expecting audiofile quality. SEAT SOUND advertising hints that there are 10 speakers (more on that later) but what it doesn't metion is speaker upgrades? And there's no mention of additional amplification - the only mention is of a sub and a centre speaker. So how on earth can this improve the sound quality, you're using the same speakers? The way I read it, the same ampification is now having to deal with 9 as opposed to 8 speakers (I assume the sub will have it's own power source) which suggests worse sound quality than the std car. But who am I to challange the marketing department telling everyone it sounds better. :lol:

10 speakers? First thing you've got to realise is you have two ears so all this nonsence with centre speakers etc! If the system is balanced correctly you only need mid-range in the doors (which they'll provide assuming they're properly installed), tweeters at ear level and a sub. If balanced properly, it will give you a proper stereo image and you won't know where the background sounds are coming from. As I say, SEAT SOUND doesn't change the std speakers which are poor quality at best so we're already off to a bad start. ( I think we can safely drop the comparisons with Cambridge Audio! - we're talking Halfords budget range here).

I'm also alarmed the front centre speaker being described as mid-bass... where's it getting this base from? There's no space to produce any bass. A centre speaker is simply a fill-in - it's there for vocals only, it tricks your brain in to thinking there's surround sound, mid-bass is the very last thing it should be producing - that's the job of the door speakers! Besides, ears can't detect which direction bass is coming from so why on earth anyone would place additional bass in the upper dashboard... it really is total nonsense.

A car is the worst possible environment for sound - speakers have to deal with extreme temp changes, the materials in the car absorb sound, sound bounces off glass etc, basically the more speakers you have the worst the situation gets. And then there's the system itself - graphic equalisers and boxes of tricks? their only purpose is to distort the already distorted sound - in other words it's going to sound awful no matter what you do. I'll add to that that has anyone seen the speaker wire manufacturers use in vehicles? It's like bell wire - it's the cheapest stuff you can buy, nor is it sheilded in anyway from interference which a car produces is bundle loads. Please don't be under any illusions this effective £150 upgrade is going to turn your vehicle in to a music chamber, it's not - no amount of tweaking is going to improve things.

As for the sub in the boot, I have to admit I did chuckle when I saw it. Never in a month of Sundays is that ever going to produce bass. It may well produce a thud but certainly not bass. Bass is produced by moving air. By the way it's notoriously difficult to produce bass in an estate / hatch. I came up with a custom design in the V70 where I placed a sub inside the spare wheel too - difference was calculating the amount of volume of air available, custom building a chamber in the wheel well, and chosing a sub to move the amount of air available. You can produce excellent bass without any sacrificing any load space.

As I've aleady said, sound is subjective and what satifies one person won't satisfy the next. The std system in the Ateca is allright, tho I've heard better in other VAG products. I don't know the cause, I suspect those door speakers aren't using the chamber in the doors, they may well be enclosed in their own little chambers. (If that' the case then there are a few speaker solutions but in order to make them work, you need power - lots of it, and I haven't read anywhere where SEAT SOUND involves the introduction of a more powerful amplifier). To be perfectly honest, investing in a proper amp with the same std speakers would have done more for SEAT SOUND.

Last thing - running-in those speakers. As already said, car speakers are expected to operate in the worst possible environments, running them in isn't going to make any difference. (the sub isn't passive anyway). When people mention 'running in' when it comes to a car, even with good quality speaker system (I spent over £700 on speakers alone on my last car), running in makes little or no difference. It's the exact opposite to what happens to a good quality home system - it's the driver who's adjusting to the sound, not the other way around. The speakers in the Ateca will be cheap as chips mass factory produced - more 'Beijing Audio' than Cambridge Audio! They'd probably benefit from being run over than run in. :lol:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
It doesn't have any special amp unlike the VW upgrade. After looking at the documentation of that and the technical Seat documentation when the optical isn't connected it doesn't have a hidden power amp. The MOST on the J794 is shown as not used. That's the connection that the VW Dynaudio uses so no amp out just the quad lock.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Web page


Speakers

Automotive lighting Automotive design Font Screenshot Motor vehicle


Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Light Product


The centre speaker is shown as frequency range 150 kHz

http://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/techniques/audio-spectrum

Frequency Range Frequency Values
Sub-bass 20 to 60 Hz
Bass 60 to 250 Hz
Low midrange 250 to 500 Hz
Midrange 500 Hz to 2 kHz
Upper midrange 2 to 4 kHz
Presence 4 to 6 kHz
Brilliance 6 to 20 kHz
So that's bass, the technical manual SSP163 is where I took the frequency response from. As such it shouldn't be getting alot of treble to it which it does with the Navigation Plus unit.

I'm happy for people to take their doors apart to find out what these speakers are if they happen to be marked up. Fundamental problem is that the cars controls don't give you enough control on the centre speaker. If it was surround sound you can adjust that to how you like it with the side, rear and subwoofer. That focal point control is useless in knocking out the sound from the centre speaker. It was only surgery to the sound via to the equaliser did I fix the rubbish that was coming out of the front, namely too much treble on a bass speaker.

I'm sure the speakers are decent just the crossovers and controls to adjust the sound going to them is wanting. Change the speakers and it would still be wanting in this configuration. That's the problem they didn't go for the VW upgrade but went for a cheaper option. That gives you total control, VW Dynaudio link below

http://www.whathifi.com/features/dynaudio-excite-sound-system-review-vw-golf-mk-7

Seat being cheapskates again.

So yeah, the speakers do burn in, but on the Seat Sound System you got poor controls to balance the sound. Think that's why a few of us are having issues, saying this I'm now happy with mine. There does seem to be other issues going on as well from what has been posted on sound levels from sources. Message to take away, not the speakers but the control of the speakers.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow... I love my music love my sound but im not an audiophile... but you Guys just Blow me away..... I love all this technical banter and its getting amazingly technical... If i could explain it i would but i'll try.... i know i was spoilt with my B&O in my Audi... my Merc had just a bog Standard Setup... but my Seat..... sometimes i think yeah thats good... but literally imagine sat in the car.... i feel loads of sound coming from the Front Centre... Loads of Bass coming from the Back Centre... but nothing around the sides.... it sounds quite Mono rather than Surround.... i think if i removed the centre speaker and the sub.. i would just have one muffled mess... (if i move the fader to front doors its just really muffled) i don't think my stereo would perform as even a normal car radio, it's like they are a mid range or Bass Speakers in all 4 doors.. and the tweeters under perform... I just can't balance it... one song sounds quite good... another a boring mess... as i said maybe i need an all round setting but just no happy medium... then you look at this link... https://www.theguardian.com/inside-seat/2016/oct/17/hitting-the-right-note-on-the-road and it tells you all about how much effort has gone into Seat Sound.. and i just think... yea right... maybe i just had too many expectations but i think there could actually be something wrong....

Loving all your input guys.... :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Those are sponsored adverts ... adversaries that you can't spell are 1/2 bottle of wine.

Seems you do have my problem a mush from the centre speaker. I'd persevere with the equaliser to see if you can starve the centre speaker of treble notes which is basically the effect of what I did. Mine does sound decent now. I listen to a fair amount of London Grammar and their love of the bass guitar works well on the subwoofer and her vocals aren't strangled by the centre speaker. Saying this the standard system worked well when I took my own Flac recording to try out on the demo cars, hence my disappointment with the Seat Sound System before I commenced twigging it.
 
1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top