Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I right in thinking that the first service is at 1 year or 10k?

Has anyone paid to have an oil change after the run in period of 1k miles? If so what were you quoted by the dealer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
581 Posts
the service due interval is in the screen settings.. mine said 20k on delivery...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Well yes....

Two things going on here in the good old days you had to have your oil changed at 500 or 600 miles when new in the first year. That was scrapped 10+ years ago to an annual service or 10,000 miles. Then manufacturers started to out do themselves and stretch the limit to 20,000 miles or two years. Audi and VW did this first in the group and Seat have now joined in. This is a bone of contention in some quarters that two years or 20,000 miles is far too long a period for issues to go undetected via inspection. Honest John has kittens about it.

Seat does offer an annual service plan which you will find on their website or you can go for the long service plan that is setup in the car's system. The PCP fraternity who will be outing the car in three years to get onto the next one are unlikely to take the loving care approach to the engine's health just doing the manufacturers long service one and taking care of the paint work and fitting dashboard cameras etc...

If you are planning to keep it long term opt for the annual / 10,000 mile plan. You can buy three years in advance which offers a reasonable return on investment, continue to get European breakdown cover thrown in once the warranty one runs out which is a good perk. That available by either taking out the maintenance plan or booking the service online throw Seat once the warranty breakdown cover runs out.

The footnote to this is if the car starts to get hungry on oil and you put in the cheaper annual oil change oil, effects petrol models, then the car can detects the viscosity of the oil and change the service interval itself. So your top up oil quality must match the intended service regiment you have it under.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tell said:
Well yes....

Two things going on here in the good old days you had to have your oil changed at 500 or 600 miles when new in the first year. That was scrapped 10+ years ago to an annual service or 10,000 miles. Then manufacturers started to out do themselves and stretch the limit to 20,000 miles or two years. Audi and VW did this first in the group and Seat have now joined in. This is a bone of contention in some quarters that two years or 20,000 miles is far too long a period for issues to go undetected via inspection. Honest John has kittens about it.

Seat does offer an annual service plan which you will find on their website or you can go for the long service plan that is setup in the car's system. The PCP fraternity who will be outing the car in three years to get onto the next one are unlikely to take the loving care approach to the engine's health just doing the manufacturers long service one and taking care of the paint work and fitting dashboard cameras etc...

If you are planning to keep it long term opt for the annual / 10,000 mile plan. You can buy three years in advance which offers a reasonable return on investment, continue to get European breakdown cover thrown in once the warranty one runs out which is a good perk. That available by either taking out the maintenance plan or booking the service online throw Seat once the warranty breakdown cover runs out.

The footnote to this is if the car starts to get hungry on oil and you put in the cheaper annual oil change oil, effects petrol models, then the car can detects the viscosity of the oil and change the service interval itself. So your top up oil quality must match the intended service regiment you have it under.
Understand all this but if keeping the car long term (the Mrs had her last one for 8 years), it seems to make sense to change oil well before you are nudged to. I always assume the set or dynamic service intervals are geared toward keeping costs lower for fleet users rather than maximising the life of mechanical components. This it is a false economy to not take the option of an oil change for around £100-£200 when you can. As tne car wears in you are bound to get early debris in the oil even if this is much less than it used to be.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
Tell said:
...continue to get European breakdown cover thrown in once the warranty one runs out which is a good perk.
.
Not sure that's correct. It's only the first 2 years when buying a new SEAT in the UK.

http://www.seat.co.uk/owners/your-seat/warranty-roadside-assistance/roadside-assistance.html
That's why I was trying to express the third year. Seat service booked online gets the European cover thrown in, so the three year annual product service covers you for three years, that extra year you keep booking it online or if they have a longer term contract take that, at that stage.

It's this tab of the fixed service plan brochure I gave to Andy below but any service booked online gets the free Seat Breakdown Warranty.

Book your service online and get
FREE SEAT ROADSIDE
ASSISTANCE (cars 2-15 years)
WORTH £245
/ UK and European cover
/ 12 months 24/7 roadside help
/ Home assistance
/ Recovery to a SEAT Dealer
/ Onward travel
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
AndyE14 said:
Understand all this but if keeping the car long term (the Mrs had her last one for 8 years), it seems to make sense to change oil well before you are nudged to. I always assume the set or dynamic service intervals are geared toward keeping costs lower for fleet users rather than maximising the life of mechanical components. This it is a false economy to not take the option of an oil change for around £100-£200 when you can. As tne car wears in you are bound to get early debris in the oil even if this is much less than it used to be.
Mine is on the annual / 10,000 mile three year product. This one which Seat gave me after the mis build when they were building Seat Navigation Plus UK Xcellence cars without the wireless charger till they sorted themselves out.

http://www.seat.co.uk/owners/your-seat/servicing-maintenance/fixed-price-servicing.html

Basically Seat tie you into Seat service for three years, the dealer gets paid by Seat Finance. Link to the brochure above.

This option gives the best savings

THREE YEARS/30,000 MILES COVER
Save £99
Against the current fixed price
individual prices.

36 months cover for only
24 monthly payments of £20.75

or an upfront payment of £498
Includes 1st and 2nd year services and
Minor service.
Protection from inflation

- price is fixed for 24 monthly payments.
Pay upfront escape any increases in the third year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,865 Posts
The PCP fraternity who will be outing the car in three years to get onto the next one are unlikely to take the loving care approach to the engine's health just doing the manufacturers long service one and taking care of the paint work and fitting dashboard cameras etc...
Sweeping statement there Tell

I presume you do realise you can buy and keep your car when in a PCP ?

It doesn't have to go back.
You can pay lump sum at end to keep the car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Saggy said:
The PCP fraternity who will be outing the car in three years to get onto the next one are unlikely to take the loving care approach to the engine's health just doing the manufacturers long service one and taking care of the paint work and fitting dashboard cameras etc...
Sweeping statement there Tell

I presume you do realise you can buy and keep your car when in a PCP ?

It doesn't have to go back.
You can pay lump sum at end to keep the car
That was my intention when I bought the Skoda. 0% over 48 months. Made more sense than paying cash as the money was in my account instead of the dealer's. Couldn't resist the Ateca though.

The constant bashing of PCP is getting a bit much now. I care for my car and don't think of it as a rental. Meticulous care, two bucket method washing. It's my pride and joy. You could argue that PCP people take more care as it'd cost them if they were to hand it back with issues.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Saggy said:
I presume you do realise you can buy and keep your car when in a PCP ?

It doesn't have to go back.
You can pay lump sum at end to keep the car
I know but the vast majority are swapped for a new one on the PCP merry go round. That's how the industry works in the UK. In Germany they keep their cars for 10 years on average. PCP finance is nearly unheard off in Europe.

Since I own mine I call it "IT" and don't cherish it that much, water under the bridge. Think that is why I'm more happy to talk about what's wrong with the Ateca as I've written it down. The accountants axiom it's not what you have spent it's what you are going to spend that is important. PCP - ers I reckon maintain more of an emotional attachment to it since the outgoings have to be justified. That's my take on the love in, in some quarters.

My love in, is to keep it running beyond that three years although if the SCR starts playing up I will out it. SCR lifecycle is thought to be about 75,000 miles then into big expenses. So this does limit the duration you would want to keep them if high mileage. Did 130,000 miles in my first car, won't be doing that in this. I might also get fed up with the cramped front passenger legroom for anyone who is tall. But we will see. There is more front passenger room in a Fiat Punto than an Ateca. I had a month of luxury front passenger space in an Xtrail when I could get my legs out and relax. Xtrail had just as much space as my old Altea for the front passenger. Admit this one escaped me when I pre ordered it having sat in it once before the decision but that was on the drivers side. Drivers side is fine since you dont put your gets out to relax when driving. The possible dodgy wheel arch escaped most people.

As for the black leather seats the heat made me feel sick coming from the seats this afternoon when I sat in it. It can't do your kidneys much good. Will have the sun screen soon so hopefully that will fix that one. Faces south when parked. I must say it's still keeping the lovely new car smell, handles well etc. I like the extra driving aids. I'm not bothered about the wheel arch until I move to the countryside and might find a cow crossing close bye. Although sheep country is the target so I should be fine :).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
I'm one of the PCP crowd that fully intends on swapping to a new car in 3 years (hopefully a Cupra Ateca or FR version) but I fully intend to carefully look after mine and bought the dealers own three year servicing to ensure its in top notch condition ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
I think that UK Atecas are supplied on a 1 year / 10,000 mile service internal. You can have this changed to a Longlife service type at the first service - this requires a different specification of engine oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Excalibrates said:
I think that UK Atecas are supplied on a 1 year / 10,000 mile service internal. You can have this changed to a Longlife service type at the first service - this requires a different specification of engine oil.
Mine came at 20k by default.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
20k. They put them on the long service interval to match other manufacturers.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Kindness71 said:
I'm one of the PCP crowd that fully intends on swapping to a new car in 3 years (hopefully a Cupra Ateca or FR version) but I fully intend to carefully look after mine and bought the dealers own three year servicing to ensure its in top notch condition ;)
I'd go for the "Ateca Plus" I reckon that will give the front passenger legroom back for tall people, but an early test will be the Kodiaq and Allspace. Might even give the rear wheel it's own door frame ;). Only reason I would look at it if I get fed up as a passenger on holiday trips sitting with my feet cramped for hours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,865 Posts
Tell just how long are your legs?

Presume you've pushed the seat back or can't you because the rear foot wells full of stuff because it hasn't got enough cubby holes for you?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
The seat is all the way back. At 6' 1" your knees are nearly on the glovebox and rake of the footwell at the back means you can't stretch your legs out. Normally the rake isn't so bad and goes forward giving legroom. Certainly tall people coming from the Altea who sit on the passenger side will know that they have lost legroom. I don't know about the Leon Mk3. Use to get lifts in that from the garage but my issue with that I couldn't get out the car since it was so low, telling the driver they would have to wait for me and I'd get there.

Even more surprised that the Punto has more legroom. Question is whether it's the crush safety cage which it will be to an extend but the design to give more adult legroom in the rear without providing enough travel on the front seats to get it back again. I suspect the cunning design plan of the Ateca was to cut back on storage and front legroom which you only will get with the Ateca Allspace / Plus or whatever it's to be called.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
Saggy said:
The PCP fraternity who will be outing the car in three years to get onto the next one are unlikely to take the loving care approach to the engine's health just doing the manufacturers long service one and taking care of the paint work and fitting dashboard cameras etc...
Sweeping statement there Tell
'
In more ways than one Saggy! Tell seems to be missing the filter that most people have between their brain and what their hands type on the keyboard. Apart from dismissing the PCP fraternity as not looking after their cars, he also brings up this nonsensical idea of 'loving care' approach so loved by marketing departments and people who don't actually stop to think.

As already stated there are two service regimes... 'time and mileage' and 'long-life'. (Ateca's are filled with LONGLIFE oil at the factory).

time and mileage - every 12mths or 10,000 miles - whichever occurs first
longlife - every 24mth or 18,000 miles - whichever occurs first.

Which regime you chose has nothing whatsoever to do with saving money for company cars (as quoted earlier) or how much you love your car, but has everything to do with how you drive your car and the type of environment the car is used in. A car in Northern Sweden which is driven exactly the same as a car driven in Southern Italy will have different service regimes. Equally a car driven in Coydon will have a different service interval to a car driven in Croy (near Glasgow).

Let me put pose a question - who's the more 'loving' - a person in the North who uses their car every few days to drive a mile to the local supermarket and has their car serviced every 12mth, or the sales rep in the South who drives their car economically each day on dual-carriageway / motorway to their office 25 miles away? (they have their car serviced every 24mth)? The engine in that 2nd car is going to be in better nick in years to come than the first!

There is no wrong and right answer - everone should have their cars serviced according to how it's used. Sometimes less that 12mths is necessary, even if the 10k threshold hasn't been reached. As for longlife - you're not compelled to have the car serviced at 24mth - you can have it serviced anywhere between 12mth and 24mth - just depends on how the car is used.

AndyE14 said:
This it is a false economy to not take the option of an oil change for around £100-£200 when you can.
'
£100-£200 for an oil change. :lol: What sort of oil are you filling your car with? Remember you're proposing to change oil sooner than manufacturer recommendation therefore no need whatsoever to fill it with stuff specifically designed to go 18,000 miles.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Except the factory default it to 20,000 miles or 2 years so the PCP people who don't have much care for the car beyond three years opt for two years to minimise cost. Quoting what the car is telling them as the bible truth. I go with Honest John that it's stupid to go for the longer service period although obviously it's not for anyone outing it at three years and wings it on warranty. Clearly there will be a number of secondhand cars that haven't had loving service care although that can be checked. That's why I always buy new and keep them so I know the history rather than buying secondhand of some cast off.

The annual booked online service beyond two years throws in the European breakdown cover as I've said which the two year people won't be getting. Obviously will if outed at three years, but not covered for every other year. None of that is talking without a filter might not be what you want to hear thou so you get abusive. I didn't note you explaining the cost effectiveness of this apart from trying to pick me up on the third year warranty which I wasn't talking about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,865 Posts
Golfs post is no more abusive than you are being to lots of us by repeatedly saying PCP purchasers don't care about their vehicles .....

And again you say PCP people don't care .... :(

Will post pics of my PCP car and what the service screen says .....
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top