Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rang up my insurance today to change my vehicle ready for when I get my new car.

We currently have two cars insured through Admiral on a multi car policy.

I had already paid £220 for a years fully comp insurance on my 2009 Citroen C1 and have 5 months left until renewal. I have had to pay an additional £77 to change the car to the Ateca (seemed reasonable to me).

I then asked how much it would be to add the Citroen C1 back onto our multi car policy as an additional vehicle and they quoted me £21 (this will be to insure the C1 fully comp for 5 months until the renewal date).

Obviously (after double checking all the details were correct) I snapped their hand off.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Always wondered about these adding a second cat to policy.

Does the no claims have to be for one person or can you be on one and prtner on another or is it just one noclaims thing for the whole insurance policy?

What happens if making a claim - does the noclaims come off both 'vehicles' / policy holders?

Not sure if I have explained this at all but here's hoping!?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
missy said:
Always wondered about these adding a second cat to policy.

Does the no claims have to be for one person or can you be on one and prtner on another or is it just one noclaims thing for the whole insurance policy?

What happens if making a claim - does the noclaims come off both 'vehicles' / policy holders?

Not sure if I have explained this at all but here's hoping!?
When you add each car they ask who will be the main driver and then they ask what no claims bonus that driver has.

When I added the C1 today I put myself as the main driver and said I had zero no claims bonus as I have used my no claims bonus against the Ateca.

If you make a claim I assume you would just lose the no claims attached to that car.

·
Registered
231 Posts
fossman - Are you sure that £77 isn't for the Ateca's 5 months as that's about what I'm paying. OK, you might be paying a further £21, but it's smoke and mirrors and they can cut it up whichever way they like.

Ask for the annualised premium for each vehicle. Our new Ateca is the cheapest car to insure and is marginally cheaper than a old version Fabia SE with much less power.

If you're not keeping the Citroën for the full 12 month period it might be less expensive to put that on a separate policy as you won't get hit by admin penalties and loss of discount.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've managed to shave £500 off our existing car insurance that was due for renewal by getting a multi car quote from Aviva (we were previously a 1 car family)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well done if you got a good deal. I had a multi car policy with Admiral for several years - for two cars and drivers living in different towns (I was one of them).
No major complaints but I found that the information I was given over the phone wasn't always consistent, and the policy documents did contain errors and needed checking carefully.
I rang one year to say the renewal figure seemed high to me and the guy immediately knocked off £100 - which was good but actually didn't fill me with confidence that they'd tried to get it right in the first place. I'm now with a local broker whose office is within walking distance of my home - and they are slightly cheaper.

·
Registered
526 Posts
It must be something to do with living in London but I can never seem to get reasonably priced insurance. It's always c700 quid. I thought that going from a 210 bhp golf gti to a sensible 1.4 litre seat would slash my insurance cost down, after all its half the insurance group, but no, I save about 40 quid only!

This is all with admiral. No other insurer has ever come close to beating admiral's prices. (ps I only have one car and can't ever foresee needing 2 at one time)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Previous car was a Skoda Citigo - 5dr Greentech Elegance model, 60hp. Could there be a cheaper car to insure (since it was a group1 car)?

Yes -the Areca was cheaper!!!

Citigo - @3yrs old cost £230.

Ateca - £218. Not a great saving admittedly but considering Citigo was valued at about £5.5k, Ateca at £34.5k, was a bit gobsmacked at how that figure came through as cheap as it did. Even called insurance company to make sure nothing was amiss - no, all fine, carried on and took it.

This is with Direct Line, with full no claims with them, as was the Citigo, so comparing apples with apples (apart from the car that is).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Niggly said:
fossman - Are you sure that £77 isn't for the Ateca's 5 months as that's about what I'm paying. OK, you might be paying a further £21, but it's smoke and mirrors and they can cut it up whichever way they like.

Ask for the annualised premium for each vehicle. Our new Ateca is the cheapest car to insure and is marginally cheaper than a old version Fabia SE with much less power.

If you're not keeping the Citroën for the full 12 month period it might be less expensive to put that on a separate policy as you won't get hit by admin penalties and loss of discount.
£77 was definitely just for changing the C1 to an Ateca on the policy (there could be an admin fee in that but they didn't mention it).

I didn't mention adding the C1 back on until after I'd completed the vehicle change.

I had done some quotes before ringing up:
Ateca with full NCD £340
C1 with no NCD £350

For the remaining 5 months of my policy I was expecting to pay something like £690 x 5/12 = £287.50. So £98 seemed a really good deal.

·
Registered
231 Posts
MGDisco said:
Previous car was a Skoda Citigo - 5dr Greentech Elegance model, 60hp. Could there be a cheaper car to insure (since it was a group1 car)?

Yes -the Areca was cheaper!!!

Citigo - @3yrs old cost £230.

Ateca - £218. Not a great saving admittedly but considering Citigo was valued at about £5.5k, Ateca at £34.5k, was a bit gobsmacked at how that figure came through as cheap as it did. Even called insurance company to make sure nothing was amiss - no, all fine, carried on and took it.

This is with Direct Line, with full no claims with them, as was the Citigo, so comparing apples with apples (apart from the car that is).
Wow! And I thought mine was exceptional. I picked an SE for the cheap insurance (and black roof rails ;)) as I'll be passing it onto my son in 5 years or so. I won't tell him he could have had a higher spec.

Good

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have an AVIVA multicar policy - very similar. If there are only 2 registered drivers on the policy, then the third car does seem to be ridiculously cheap. However, on the basis that, in this scenario, only two cars can be driven at any one time, this sort of makes more sense when thought through. The overall premium seems to be a blend of "driving" and "non driving" risk across the mix of cars and the number of registered drivers on the policy. WIth 3 drivers and the same 3 cars, I would imagine the premium would reflect this increased risk, but haven't been in this situation so can't evidence this.... Of course a 4th car could then be the cheap option!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
mine is £384.69 per year with Aviva

Seat ATECA XCELLENCE 4DRIVE TDI 190

this includes protected NCD

Legal cover

Enhanced Courtesy vehicle

Personal accident cover

was fractionally cheaper than the Yeti I had before

·
Registered
979 Posts
Saggy said:
mine is £384.69 per year with Aviva

Seat ATECA XCELLENCE 4DRIVE TDI 190

this includes protected NCD

Legal cover

Enhanced Courtesy vehicle

Personal accident cover

was fractionally cheaper than the Yeti I had before
That seems expensive Saggy, did you try a comparethemarket first? Like others on here mines about £230. I don't bother with protected NCD as I don't intend to crash ;) , so unless its that which bumps it up?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Kindness71 said:
That seems expensive Saggy, did you try a comparethemarket first? Like others on here mines about £230. I don't bother with protected NCD as I don't intend to crash ;) , so unless its that which bumps it up?
don't forget mine is the 190bhp dsg 4wd so that probably bumps it up over yours too

I don't intend to crash either but that doesn't stop someone crashing in to me ;)

my previous insurance company was quoting me £500+ so Aviva seemed cheap in comparison

I am clean licence, 30 years experience, full no claims, own drive .......... but possible job title/industry affects it (some jobs do), my miles per year (15k), the fact I have ended up with a new windscreen in about every car I've owned from stones thrown up on the roads round here, and other things on the list of questions ?

I was very happy with that price
I do shop around each year so will look again in Nov but that was the best deal I was seeing at that time :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
kee said:
It must be something to do with living in London but I can never seem to get reasonably priced insurance. It's always c700 quid. I thought that going from a 210 bhp golf gti to a sensible 1.4 litre seat would slash my insurance cost down, after all its half the insurance group, but no, I save about 40 quid only!

This is all with admiral. No other insurer has ever come close to beating admiral's prices. (ps I only have one car and can't ever foresee needing 2 at one time)
Actually, Admiral was always cheapest for my relatively sporty car. Just did a bit of shopping around on an Ateca and prices are in the mid 600s which is about 100 quid cheaper than Admiral.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Saggy said:
Kindness71 said:
don't forget mine is the 190bhp dsg 4wd so that probably bumps it up over yours too

I don't intend to crash either but that doesn't stop someone crashing in to me ;)

my previous insurance company was quoting me £500+ so Aviva seemed cheap in comparison

I am clean licence, 30 years experience, full no claims, own drive .......... but possible job title/industry affects it (some jobs do), my miles per year (15k), the fact I have ended up with a new windscreen in about every car I've owned from stones thrown up on the roads round here, and other things on the list of questions ?

I was very happy with that price
I do shop around each year so will look again in Nov but that was the best deal I was seeing at that time :)
I suppose and Kee seems to be high but that's London. If someone crashes into you though it doesn't affect your no claims as it's there insurance that pays out. :D

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Kindness71 said:
If someone crashes into you though it doesn't affect your no claims as it's there insurance that pays out. :D
ah but if a hare or a deer or a pheasant does it is deemed as your fault as no one else to blame and wild animals don't carry liability insurance ;)

I had a hare smash a front grille on a car and it cost about £400 to repair seeing as how things colour coded etc nowadays

I've know one person who hit a cow (maybe in that case the farmer would be claimed against) and also one person who had a deer leap out smash in to the side of them. lots of damage :(

·
Registered
979 Posts
Saggy said:
Kindness71 said:
If someone crashes into you though it doesn't affect your no claims as it's there insurance that pays out. :D
ah but if a hare or a deer or a pheasant does it is deemed as your fault as no one else to blame and wild animals don't carry liability insurance ;)

I had a hare smash a front grille on a car and it cost about £400 to repair seeing as how things colour coded etc nowadays

I've know one person who hit a cow (maybe in that case the farmer would be claimed against) and also one person who had a deer leap out smash in to the side of them. lots of damage :(
Wow you really do live out in the sticks :shock:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Saggy

i have the same as you and thats a bit high i had a old X-Type Jag 2.5 which was costing me about £400.00 per year and that is with tow recent calms one some keyed all down the side of the car which i had to have resprayed not the jag it was a duster i had before the second they classed as a 50/50 for some hit my caravan i was towing which i did not claim for but the other driver did .

i did have protected no claims at the time so when called my insurance direct line there was a reduction of £116.00 for the Ateca my policy is up for renewal in february .

only thing i don't have is courtesy car cover as it a waste of time as the last time i had to use it they gave me a car i could not fit in or drive a matiz and they only let you have it for two weeks even if they have not sorted out your claim

1 - 20 of 32 Posts