Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I saw this link on the Taracco forum that someone had posted as a fix or temp fix for the dreaded SOS fault and apparently it has actually worked so I wonder if it might help someone with the same issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'll have to give this a go..... I'm now getting this come up on about 1 in every 3 trips. I did notice tonight that the dash warning triangle stays lit, but the "SOS" dash illumination goes on and off randomly. On each occassion this SOS triggers, about 10 minutes later the Sat Nav looses position (Seat's own and google maps via apple play) getting progressively further away, 20 mins later the Sat Nav had drifted to 15 miles away. Attempts to reboot the Infotainment doesn't work unless the car has been powered off for 30 minues or so.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Routemaster said:
I'll have to give this a go..... I'm now getting this come up on about 1 in every 3 trips. I did notice tonight that the dash warning triangle stays lit, but the "SOS" dash illumination goes on and off randomly. On each occassion this SOS triggers, about 10 minutes later the Sat Nav looses position (Seat's own and google maps via apple play) getting progressively further away, 20 mins later the Sat Nav had drifted to 15 miles away. Attempts to reboot the Infotainment doesn't work unless the car has been powered off for 30 minues or so.
Sorry to hear that mate. I know how much trouble the SOS fault causes but some people have said that this works but surely anything is worth a try if you have the fault. I'm fortunate so far but I've only had mine a week and my light is still green so fingers crossed everything stays ok&#x1f91e-1f3fc;

Would be interesting to see if doing this actually helps, even as a temp fix.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks RA13, I shall give that a go next time and see what happens!

The SOS fault is always the first to show and then a snowball of faults progressively indicate (which I could ignore but for the Sat Nav & Phone connections) . I think I've decided there is no more I can do to resolve permenantly (thought one of my phones may have been causing the problem, but I now think not), and I don't expect this on a 2 month old car (its been happening a month now) so I shall be on to the dealer on Monday they can schedule to sort it out. I did see someone here mentioned that a faulty "antenna and control module" problem caused theirs, so I'll mention that in case it helps!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problem mate I really hope it helps. I hope you get decent service at the dealership and they don't act like it's a new thing or unheard of. I've read that some people have been able to get their cars sorted but they have had a hard time and multiple visits to the garage etc

·
Registered
7 Posts
I get this error about every 3 days.. had it 4 times on Friday last week on a 10 hour drive.. and then again today.. will give this a go. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keiths64 said:
I get this error about every 3 days.. had it 4 times on Friday last week on a 10 hour drive.. and then again today.. will give this a go. Thanks for sharing.
No problem at all mate. As I said I have only seen it on the Tarraco forum but it has worked for some people and that's why I posted it here. I don't have the SOS issues but if you do then surely it's worth a try. Hopefully it works for you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So after a few days of car good behaviour, though mostly short local trips, the SOS annoyance popped up this evening just as I was arriving home. I tried the suggested process of holding the SOS button in for around 2 minutes (can imagine that being tricky on the go) and then cancelling the SOS call when it comes on screen ..... and, on the face of it, this DID work, the warning light went out on the dash as did the sos light. The infotainment system appeared to still be functional, though it tends to degrade in stages in the 10 minutes folowing the SOS warning (and I was now home). The acid test being if the Infotainment system works on next start up or hangs until a forced restart can be performed. But this "hack" does seem promising for a mid trip fix. Shall see what it does in the morning. Meanwhile I have had enough of it, so I've booked its to visit the dealers for them to sort it, though as I wanted a loan car it has to wait a couple more weeks.

Also whilst I was driving home the car popped up a message that a "Software update was available - Install?" and some options. I clicked "install" and it returned "Unable to install whilst driving" (So why ask when I'm driving then!!).... when I got home I couldn't find any updates in the updates section or get the message to reappear .... so another mystery what that was all about or how to get it back or install it!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Routemaster said:
So after a few days of car good behaviour, though mostly short local trips, the SOS annoyance popped up this evening just as I was arriving home. I tried the suggested process of holding the SOS button in for around 2 minutes (can imagine that being tricky on the go) and then cancelling the SOS call when it comes on screen ..... and, on the face of it, this DID work, the warning light went out on the dash as did the sos light. The infotainment system appeared to still be functional, though it tends to degrade in stages in the 10 minutes folowing the SOS warning (and I was now home). The acid test being if the Infotainment system works on next start up or hangs until a forced restart can be performed. But this "hack" does seem promising for a mid trip fix. Shall see what it does in the morning. Meanwhile I have had enough of it, so I've booked its to visit the dealers for them to sort it, though as I wanted a loan car it has to wait a couple more weeks.

Also whilst I was driving home the car popped up a message that a "Software update was available - Install?" and some options. I clicked "install" and it returned "Unable to install whilst driving" (So why ask when I'm driving then!!).... when I got home I couldn't find any updates in the updates section or get the message to reappear .... so another mystery what that was all about or how to get it back or install it!
Cheers for letting me know about this. I'm glad that it might well be a temporary fix and hopefully it gets yours working properly again especially after a few uses. I've already had 2 of those software update messages on mine but I was driving also but I was able to install the updates and it was done in seconds surprisingly and with no issues but I agree with you, why tell you while driving if you can't do anything about it..!! When I updated mine, with the 2nd pop-up, I did it when I was parked so I could do it straight away so I'm not sure how to manually go in and find it etc. I just hope "VAG" have a solution to this SOS issue as it's affecting 1000's of cars and giving so many headaches and useless visits to local dealerships. It would be interesting to actually find out exactly what is causing these SOS faults but I've heard other's have had their faults fixed but each with different fixes and replacement parts. I hope you get somewhere with yours mate &#x1f44d-1f3fb;

·
Registered
23 Posts
RA13, I should have specifically thanked you for drawing this to our attention as well as posting my update! Thank you!

This morning the infotainment system did not hang and all started up without issue. So if this quick fix stops the system hanging, which it appears to have done, it could be especially valuable for people on a Sat Nav guided journey to keep the Sat Nav going .... assuming like mine their Sat Nav gets lost shortly after the SOS chimes in!

I sat in the car some time going through settings but it never offered up the update again ... unless it just installed it once I stopped driving, I can see what versions it is running but not when it installed them nor how to determine the most uptodate versions .... but I'm assuming it would tell me if it performed an update or it would offer it again ...... quite an assumption that of course!! haha!

(Interesting to note Keith64 car with the same fault was built in the adjacent week 16/21 to mine which was 17/21)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So happy it worked and it's cool you don't need to thank me at all. I just seen it and thought it was too good to be true but I had to post here in the hopes it actually did work! Lol. It would be a nightmare for people on a long trip and relying on the factory sat-nav and for it to suddenly die on them!! I'm just glad it's managed to do a temp fix for you &#x1f44d-1f3fb;

I'm sure your update will give you another reminder soon enough as I've had 2 and I've only had my car for about 2 weeks but hopefully it does it when you can access it instead of you driving when it tells you.

My Fr Sport was built 12/5/21 and so far no issues and it better stay that way lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
To the original poster of the solution and others. You don't need to keep the sos button pressed when the fault presents itself. It's just a red herring as it gives the appearance that keeping it pressed is causing the call to be dialled out. All you need to do and I've verified this around 8-10 times is when you first get the sos failure warning on your dashboard , just press the sos button once or twice briefly. Then after a couple of minutes or sometimes less, when the car has passed the area of no reception, the sos light will automatically turn green and the infotainment will start dialling out the actual sos call with audio prompts. It is here that you cancel it and the system goes back to normal.

Thanks again for the solution, this is just an update on the fact that you don't need to keep the button pressed as it could prove risky especially when driving on narrow roads .. cheers

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sagar.basutkar said:
To the original poster of the solution and others. You don't need to keep the sos button pressed when the fault presents itself. It's just a red herring as it gives the appearance that keeping it pressed is causing the call to be dialled out. All you need to do and I've verified this around 8-10 times is when you first get the sos failure warning on your dashboard , just press the sos button once or twice briefly. Then after a couple of minutes or sometimes less, when the car has passed the area of no reception, the sos light will automatically turn green and the infotainment will start dialling out the actual sos call with audio prompts. It is here that you cancel it and the system goes back to normal.

Thanks again for the solution, this is just an update on the fact that you don't need to keep the button pressed as it could prove risky especially when driving on narrow roads .. cheers
Thanks mate but as I've said I have only seen it on another forum and haven't tried it myself as my car is working fine so far but I just thought it could help others &#x1f44d-1f3fb;

·
Registered
9 Posts
We had no end of issues with the SOS warning from driving a brand new FR off the forecourt.
After three and a half weeks sat at the dealers, multiple fixes, three control modules going faulty and the last one disabling the entire Infotainment system we rejected the vehicle and had a full refund.
The dealer support was superb but we couldn't keep sending it in every few weeks for a new control module.
Shame as we liked the car very much.
It's back up for sale at the dealership now so hopefully the recent fix is permanent and the new owners have better luck than we did.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pigonthewing said:
We had no end of issues with the SOS warning from driving a brand new FR off the forecourt.
After three and a half weeks sat at the dealers, multiple fixes, three control modules going faulty and the last one disabling the entire Infotainment system we rejected the vehicle and had a full refund.
The dealer support was superb but we couldn't keep sending it in every few weeks for a new control module.
It's back up for sale at the dealership now so hopefully the recent fix is permanent and the new owners have better luck than we did.
Sorry to hear that mate, that sounds like you had a bit of a nightmare with yours. I was expecting the exact same to happy to me as soon as I picked mine up and it was the first thing I looked at on the inside of the car but still ok after 500 miles and it better stay that way!
You do read some horror stories like yours and lots of people returning their car but with everything that's going on in the world right now, ordering another car wouldn't be straight forward or quick either so I would hate for mine to start playing up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd tried the trick in the video provided by RA13, but neither the dashboard warning nor the red light next to the SOS button was gone. However, other than the warning itself, the rest of the car, including the virtual dashboard and the infotainment system (I was navigating using Waze), works without any problem. The warning was appeared while my Ateca was in around 800+ miles. Due to some reason, I didn't do anything after arriving home with the warning still there before turning the ignition off. The warning was gone the day after and it didn't appear again after further going for around 100 miles more. Fingercrossed.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As I said atecan I haven't tried it myself but I thought it might help others. I thought it might be too good to be true but I'm hearing that it has helped with a few so I'm happy with that &#x1f44d-1f3fb;.

Anything is better than multiple trips to the dealership with a problematic car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
RA13 said:
Pigonthewing said:
Sorry to hear that mate, that sounds like you had a bit of a nightmare with yours. I was expecting the exact same to happy to me as soon as I picked mine up and it was the first thing I looked at on the inside of the car but still ok after 500 miles and it better stay that way!
You do read some horror stories like yours and lots of people returning their car but with everything that's going on in the world right now, ordering another car wouldn't be straight forward or quick either so I would hate for mine to start playing up.
The current situation is the main reason why we persevered with the dealer and the repairs but inevitably we lost confidence in the vehicle.
Luckily we dropped on a new Tiguan for similar money so 🤞 all will be fine.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@potw, yeah it would really take all the fun and enjoyment out of having that new car feeling. Glad you finally got things sorted out and that you managed to get your hands on the VW so fingers crossed you have seen the back of the dreaded SOS Fault....&#x1f91e-1f3fc;

·
Registered
17 Posts
RA13 said:
As I said atecan I haven't tried it myself but I thought it might help others. I thought it might be too good to be true but I'm hearing that it has helped with a few so I'm happy with that &#x1f44d-1f3fb;.

Anything is better than multiple trips to the dealership with a problematic car.
Appreciated of sharing the video, RA13. Purpose of my last post was to say that behaviour of my car seems a little different from the original. Not exactly sure if they are the same cause of the underlying problem though.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts