Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Has anybody out there with 19 inch rims heard any talk of space savers being available from SEAT, I still hate driving without a spare wheel and having to rely on a can of gunk to repair my tyre in case of a puncture, Regards from Fujipro.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought a space saver wheel for my SE Tech (18's as standard) and SEAT provide a 16" space saver - they have assured me it will fit over the brake caliper on the front (i had an issue with a civic type r a few years back where the 16" space saver wheel actually only fits on the rear and if you have a front puncture you have to put a rear wheel on the front and space saver on the back).....

I think this 16" kit is from a LEON as the Ateca specific one wasn't avaialble

·
Registered
341 Posts
Howie669 said:
I bought a space saver wheel for my SE Tech (18's as standard) and SEAT provide a 16" space saver - they have assured me it will fit over the brake caliper on the front (i had an issue with a civic type r a few years back where the 16" space saver wheel actually only fits on the rear and if you have a front puncture you have to put a rear wheel on the front and space saver on the back).....

The 16" one will not fit! Your dealer is talking rubbish look at the manual and the sticker on the car. You need a 18" space saver. Even if you just offer up the 16" to your car you can visual see the car won't be right with a 16".

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've never had a space saver, always a complete replacement tyre. Am I understanding correctly that for the 18" alloys on the ateca you need a specific 18" space saver?

·
Registered
122 Posts
jamesiow said:
Howie669 said:

The 16" one will not fit! Your dealer is talking rubbish look at the manual and the sticker on the car. You need a 18" space saver. Even if you just offer up the 16" to your car you can visual see the car won't be right with a 16".
Here's an email from the service manager to the sales manager that was forwarded to me when I asked the question why it was 16 that they supplied, I need to pop by when I have the car not the wife:-

Hi Luke, I've never had to put the SEAT supplied spare on the front of an Ateca as yet, but can't imagine that they would build and supply a spare wheel that doesn't fit. If it helps when the customer comes by for the free fuel, I'll take off a front wheel and try his spare if he wishes?

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
341 Posts
hi,
If you look in the manual and also the tyre pressure sticker, they both say clearly space saver spare must be "125/70r/18" and also email SEAT UK and ask them to they will confirm 125/70r/18 and do not put a 16" on your car! I had a 16" unused from my Leon which again my local dealer assured me 100% and it would fit but this is absolute bull, get the dealer to fit it or try to the car, and you'll see what I mean your car will be lopsidedI certainly would not even like to move in the car park.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didn't get the option of a spare with mine (lease car), which came with the optional 19". The standard Seat 18" space saver spare is vastly different in diameter to the 19" setup, which I wouldn't be happy putting a 4wd. The closest space saver spare I can find is an Audi 20" version, 145/60/20, which is the closest match for the 19" setup, and an exact match for the 18" setup.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I jave been told by my dealer that ssaver wheels are a universal size and that they are not replacement wheels but designed to get to the nearest suitable tyre repair place.. i was told speed with one on should be leas than 50mph.

Seems they are all 16" necause of the storage space in the boot and no other wheel would fit with tyre on it.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
He's talking rubbish. I earlier said my spare was 17". I have checked again more carefully and I was wrong, it is 125/70 R18.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Interesting.. another question for CEO to take a week to bother replying...

·
Registered
122 Posts
missy said:
I emailed seat uk at the time asking if my dealer was talking bull at the time, they advised me to.... Speak to my dealer as they couldn't confirm. I thanked them for advising me to ask my dealer on a question I had asked them, questioning my dealer..... Idiots!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Howie669 said:
missy said:
I emailed seat uk at the time asking if my dealer was talking bull at the time, they advised me to.... Speak to my dealer as they couldn't confirm. I thanked them for advising me to ask my dealer on a question I had asked them, questioning my dealer..... Idiots!
Yeah, that's their stock answer. When I spoke to them on the issue of double-floor and space saver (non 4-wd) I had to press them to look into it and they did come back an hour later - so speak to them and press them on it and they do find out.

It's 18" S/Saver though - clearly remember seeing that as an option on the original brochure when I ordered.

G

·
You seem to forget, that it's not the size of the rim that defines the outer diameter, it's the tyre. You can have 16" and 18" rims with the same outer diameter tyre, it the tires have different profile. I remember my dealer once told me, that all Ateca models (2wd and 4wd) have same size brake discs and calipers. So the 16" rim should fit to all Atecas, because the entry level model (at least here in Finland) comes with 16" wheels. So if the rim fits around the brake disc, then it's up to tire profile to define the outer diameter of the wheel.

And besides, I bought rims for the winter tires with my car, and they are 16". My car is 4Drive, so I surely hope that they fit! :D And why wouldn't they, because even the manual recommends 215/60R16 winter tyre size.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Etchings said:
Howie669 said:
missy said:
Yeah, that's their stock answer. When I spoke to them on the issue of double-floor and space saver (non 4-wd) I had to press them to look into it and they did come back an hour later - so speak to them and press them on it and they do find out.

It's 18" S/Saver though - clearly remember seeing that as an option on the original brochure when I ordered.
SEAT UK came back again saying there wasn't an official Ateca spare kit yet and i would need to discuss the matter with the dealer. I have emailed the dealer and asked if they could swop the 16" for and 18" space saver for safety purposes - lets see what they say.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Howie669 said:
Etchings said:
Howie669 said:

SEAT UK came back again saying there wasn't an official Ateca spare kit yet and i would need to discuss the matter with the dealer. I have emailed the dealer and asked if they could swop the 16" for and 18" space saver for safety purposes - lets see what they say.
Hopefully they'll swap it - the car tyre markings in your door pillar should say what size it should be. Found where I've seen the 18" mentioned before - in the January price list:

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Number

The price list is incredibly vague / unclear though.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Etchings said:
Hopefully they'll swap it - the car tyre markings in your door pillar should say what size it should be. Found where I've seen the 18" mentioned before - in the January price list:

Space Saver.JPG

The price list is incredibly vague / unclear though.
[/quote]

The dealer has said next time i'm passing they will swop it for the 18" :)

It's taken several attempts but thankfully it will get sorted now.

I understand the tyre size in some cases make up the difference (i've not checked the actual tyre size yet but it is too small and sitting in the well in the boot the wheel is approx 1-2" away from touching the foam support all around.

·
Registered
341 Posts
That's a good result - I really can't believe dealers give such duff information when this is clearly a safety item I realise it is purely a temporary solution just to get home or to a tyre shop even 1 mile down the road could potentially be fatal

·
Registered
778 Posts
jamesiow said:
That's a good result - I really can't believe dealers give such duff information when this is clearly a safety item I realise it is purely a temporary solution just to get home or to a tyre shop even 1 mile down the road could potentially be fatal
Which is probably why they swapped it when they realised they'd be liable for that duff advice!

But yes, the quality of dealer information varies greatly so makes sites like this one all the more valuable with our collective experience! :cool:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts