Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys my replies don't seem to be getting posted but having just read 1970ateca's post re obtaining 18" space saver spare. The website given -
https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/seat-ateca-18-space-saver-spare-wheel.html -
to obtain a 18" spare (space saver) wheel shows only 5 bolt holes whereas mine ( 1.6TDi Eco SE Tech Jungle Green) has 6.
I assume all 18" wheels have 6 holes? :?:

P.S.
I still haven't figured why my replies are not shown!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
You don't seem to be clicking reply but are creating a new thread??

Anyhow... I had assumed myself that the space saver wheel was a spare wheel.. doh! Silly me. Seems it is a tenporary one and not to go over 50mph and just to get you to a tyre place... and it is indeed a 16" version....

So how come a smaller wheel can be put on a car safely? Vs 3 other 18" wheels in my case?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,711 Posts
I have the 18" bicolour wheels and the car came with a 17" space saver wheel. I assume you can always get away with a smaller wheel as the profile is higher so the effective diameter is the same as the original.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Fred99 said:
I have the 18" bicolour wheels and the car came with a 17" space saver wheel. I assume you can always get away with a smaller wheel as the profile is higher so the effective diameter is the same as the original.
Fred - you are exactly right. Always worth remembering that space savers are for emergency get you home use only and are speed limited to around 50mph.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
DSG4WD said:
Fred99 said:
I have the 18" bicolour wheels and the car came with a 17" space saver wheel. I assume you can always get away with a smaller wheel as the profile is higher so the effective diameter is the same as the original.
Fred - you are exactly right. Always worth remembering that space savers are for emergency get you home use only and are speed limited to around 50mph.
They also tend to advise you no more than 50miles distance too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Had to use my space saver today as got a flatty :( On way to work got an alert to say front left tyre had lost pressure. Got to work and it looked ok so just left it thinking it had just gone down a tiny bit. Came out to go home and it was completely flat. I rang the SEAT road side assistance as thought they might as well get their hands dirty than me. However was told no roadside assistance members free in my area, but they could send the AA to be with me in an hour and a half's time :shock: I told them not to bother. So I got my hands dirty instead. Have to say quite scary driving with the space saver on even when going no more than 40mph :? I took my tyre to a mates garage and thank god he managed to repair it and only charged a tenner :D He said it was a weird pinhole puncture with nothing still stuck in tyre.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Kindness71 said:
Had to use my space saver today as got a flatty :( On way to work got an alert to say front left tyre had lost pressure. Got to work and it looked ok so just left it thinking it had just gone down a tiny bit. Came out to go home and it was completely flat. I rang the SEAT road side assistance as thought they might as well get their hands dirty than me. However was told no roadside assistance members free in my area, but they could send the AA to be with me in an hour and a half's time :shock: I told them not to bother. So I got my hands dirty instead. Have to say quite scary driving with the space saver on even when going no more than 40mph :? I took my tyre to a mates garage and thank god he managed to repair it and only charged a tenner :D He said it was a weird pinhole puncture with nothing still stuck in tyre.
What size is your space saver?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
979 Posts
Howie669 said:
Kindness71 said:
Had to use my space saver today as got a flatty :( On way to work got an alert to say front left tyre had lost pressure. Got to work and it looked ok so just left it thinking it had just gone down a tiny bit. Came out to go home and it was completely flat. I rang the SEAT road side assistance as thought they might as well get their hands dirty than me. However was told no roadside assistance members free in my area, but they could send the AA to be with me in an hour and a half's time :shock: I told them not to bother. So I got my hands dirty instead. Have to say quite scary driving with the space saver on even when going no more than 40mph :? I took my tyre to a mates garage and thank god he managed to repair it and only charged a tenner :D He said it was a weird pinhole puncture with nothing still stuck in tyre.
What size is your space saver?
Its an 18" one
T125/70 R 18
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Kindness71 said:
I took my tyre to a mates garage and thank god he managed to repair it and only charged a tenner :D
Just check the price of puncture repairs at Costco. ;) But they're in the business of selling tyres whereas your mate, well, he's a mate, so will do what's right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Kindness71 said:
Howie669 said:
Kindness71 said:
Had to use my space saver today as got a flatty :( On way to work got an alert to say front left tyre had lost pressure. Got to work and it looked ok so just left it thinking it had just gone down a tiny bit. Came out to go home and it was completely flat. I rang the SEAT road side assistance as thought they might as well get their hands dirty than me. However was told no roadside assistance members free in my area, but they could send the AA to be with me in an hour and a half's time :shock: I told them not to bother. So I got my hands dirty instead. Have to say quite scary driving with the space saver on even when going no more than 40mph :? I took my tyre to a mates garage and thank god he managed to repair it and only charged a tenner :D He said it was a weird pinhole puncture with nothing still stuck in tyre.
What size is your space saver?
Its an 18" one
T125/70 R 18
So my 16" you reckon would be a canny experience then? :)
 
G

·
ColR. said:
to obtain a 18" spare (space saver) wheel shows only 5 bolt holes whereas mine ( 1.6TDi Eco SE Tech Jungle Green) has 6.
I assume all 18" wheels have 6 holes? :?:
That can't be right? I have never seen a VW group car with anything other than 5 wheel bolts. It would be very unwise to build the same car with 5 or 6 bolts. I think you find your car having 5 bolts, when you go and check it out. :?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top