Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone any experience of rather tardy SEAT "back orders"?

I took delivery of a 1.6TDI four weeks ago and part of the deal was that it would have mudflaps and a space saver wheel. The car I got was in the dealer's stock.

Just before they handed over the keys, I pointed out the car did not have any flaps. An hour later, the salesman said "we have flaps that are supposed to be for an Ateca, but they don't fit."

And, no they did not have space saver wheel, but would get one on "back order".

So today I checked on progress. They now have flaps that fit, but no wheel; there is a delay in the "back order" and no idea when it will arrive.

What they can do is order a car from the factory with a space saver as part of the specs and give me the wheel when the car arrives. In 12 weeks time.

Am I being naiive in thinking this is a crazy situation?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well getting a Space saver spare wheel has been entertaining for myself.

I'm hoping to get one middle of next week from the supplying dealer. They tell me there is no factory fit spare equivalent apparently... so the surrounding padding / toolkit etc is going to have to be Velcro'd, to keep it in place apparently. The dealer made Some mutterings about the boot floor being different when supplied with a spare... not sure how true that really is, seems a bit odd if it is.

In terms of back order it has taken just under two weeks. More time has been spent on what would / wouldn't fit :eek:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
There are a couple a useful threads on here where people have fitted the Leon one. In one case that's what Seat UK did on a car that was misordered. It's the same wheel but you don't get the fancy surround of plastic.

See my third post on the first page which indexes out into the other page and carry on reading that page as well.

http://atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=787&hilit=spare+wheel

It's all the same spare wheel. So anybody fed up with waiting has that option. It was dasalias who gets the credit for sorting it out since it had been a recurring topic with no answer. See Mark's post where Seat sent him oddments.

There is a post somewhere think by Metalsman of how the Leon spare is positioned in the Ateca to get it to bolt.

·
Registered
579 Posts
splashdubh said:
What they can do is order a car from the factory with a space saver as part of the specs and give me the wheel when the car arrives. In 12 weeks time.

It does sound like a rather unorthodox method of getting spares from the factory but could work. I wouldn't hold your breath about the 12 weeks though. That appears to be the standard delivery date provisionally given to most buyers but not always achieved.

·
Registered
931 Posts
splashdubh said:
'
Wouldn't say it was crazy just bad logistics on someone's part. I'm sure this happens often in the indusrty.

Wouldn't have thought it a deal breaker but you had every right to withhold payment as the goods weren't what you'd ordered. Think it sounds a reasonable compromise from the dealer tho - they're only as good as the SEAT supply chain.

Pretty easy thing to say when I'm not in that stituation, but if it were me, I probably would have suggested withholding the cost of mudflaps and a spare tyre kit from the balance when I collected the car - they'd get the remainder when the goods appeared. If you've already paid for the goods, have you asked for some sort of compensation? Depending on who made the error, they might throw in a free service voucher or something?

You say you don't have a spare. Was your car supplied with a compressor thingy?

I didn't order a spare as it would have delayed delivery time. I bought an unused spare on the web (£60) then ordered the plastic bolt, foam surround from SEAT parts dept ( both approx £7 each and arrived within 24hr) and a jack / wrench from Amazon (£19). I now have the original compressor thingy AND a spare so now I can have a double puncture and it cost me less than what SEAT were charging for a spare tyre :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
I didn't order a spare as it would have delayed delivery time. I bought an unused spare on the web (£60) then ordered the plastic bolt, foam surround from SEAT parts dept ( both approx £7 each and arrived within 24hr) and a jack / wrench from Amazon (£19). I now have the original compressor thingy AND a spare so now I can have a double puncture and it cost me less than what SEAT were charging for a spare tyre :lol: :lol: :lol:
B*gger ! Paid full whack for the factory space saver spare, too.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I did submit a response earlier, but it seems to have got lost, so, once again:

The dealer was anxious for my business, so the mudflaps and space saver were part of the deal on the base price - not extras.

I cannot understand how one dealer can get a space saver in two weeks, yet mine thinks a 12-week new car order is his best option.

Am I being cynical in thinking that if he needed to replace a gearbox and had to loan me a replacement car, a new gearbox would come from the factory PDQ?

There must be a huge stock of wheels at the factory. Has SEAT never heard of couriers?

I looked on on eBay and a space saver can be bought for about £168 - with delivery in middle of next week. One guy has sold eight, so there must be a demand.

It really does little to enhance the reputation of my dealer - or SEAT.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It doesn't really help, but quite a few years ago I discovered the spare in my old e46 BM was the wrong size - 16" v 17" rim. Let's just say that getting hold of a correct size wheel outside of the factory process was no easier back then from BM. I'm not holding my breath until I actually get the spare next week - so it may not be only 2 weeks... the cost will also be a lot more than the option price.. they're not doing me any favours in that regard.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
splashdubh said:
I cannot understand how one dealer can get a space saver in two weeks, yet mine thinks a 12-week new car order is his best option.
Probably since they are nicking from a demonstrator / showroom car. Think their is a genuine spares problem for the Ateca. The eBay Leon ones don't have a supply issue so those are the ones that Leon owners buy to upgrade themselves, now Ateca people albeit are using the Leon kit.

Post get lost when you submit but there is another post or posts coming in, so you see that and can ammend. If you miss that slightly different screen and go back to the Forum icon you loose the post. Preview is always a good button to check.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Tell said:
splashdubh said:
Probably since they are nicking from a demonstrator / showroom car. Think their is a genuine spares problem for the Ateca. The eBay Leon ones don't have a supply issue so those are the ones that Leon owners buy to upgrade themselves, now Ateca people albeit are using the Leon kit.

Post get lost when you submit but there is another post or posts coming in, so you see that and can ammend. If you miss that slightly different screen and go back to the Forum icon you loose the post. Preview is always a good button to check.
No Tell,

They placed an order with SEAT - they're not "Nicking" anything. Please don't assume.

Thanks.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Grahamn said:
Well getting a Space saver spare wheel has been entertaining for myself.

I'm hoping to get one middle of next week from the supplying dealer. They tell me there is no factory fit spare equivalent apparently... so the surrounding padding / toolkit etc is going to have to be Velcro'd, to keep it in place apparently. The dealer made Some mutterings about the boot floor being different when supplied with a spare... not sure how true that really is, seems a bit odd if it is.

In terms of back order it has taken just under two weeks. More time has been spent on what would / wouldn't fit :eek:
Graham reading this post it sounds like the Leon one which they are getting in, so yes that hasn't fallen off the back of another Ateca. When Seat materialise the Ateca foam / plastic surround either they nicked it from another car or the supply chain on accessories is sorted. Leon wheel is said to be identical just the way the parts are packaged up. I'll put my money on that being a Leon kit. They come with either the half plastic moulding but the moulding doesn't really fit the Ateca although can't be seen under a cover or a bag for the tools based on the eBay pictures of Seat accessories online. Reckon yours will be the latter. It's a good solution if you need a spare given the supply issue.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Tell,

Yes I think you're correct about the "Leon kit" as there is nothing post-factory fit, for the Ateca at the moment.
I will ask salient questions and take pics next week and report back to the forum on how good/bad/costly this hybrid Solution is. :? The photos I've been sent are attached. Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
931 Posts
splashdubh said:

The dealer was anxious for my business, so the mudflaps and space saver were part of the deal on the base price - not extras.
'
Didn't pick that up but still not clear on what you mean - sorry. Did the dealer request a spare wheel on the factory order form or did you order a base model and the items would be supplied separately via the parts dept?

If it's the latter then the delay could be caused by the dealer wanting to offsetting the additional costs on to another deal.

Out of interest, are these mudflaps and spare mentioned on any papers / contract you signed?

Grahamn said:
Yes I think you're correct about the "Leon kit" as there is nothing post-factory fit, for the Ateca at the moment.
'
Apologies again if I've picked this up wrong, but if you're refering to the foam surround etc - I picked mine up within 24hr of ordering it. The wheel, jack and wrench are all common - what else does an Ateca kit comprise of?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I saw a local business selling something called a Road Hero kit which is basically a space saver wheel with jack and tools, it says prices start from £158.

·
Registered
128 Posts
In order to help clarify this on-going spare wheel saga, attached is a photograph of my 2WD with the 18" Leon spare wheel kit I obtained from Ebay. The kit is from a 2015 Leon. The polystyrene tool kit holder is a perfect fit to the left of the wheel. The Ateca comes with two fixing points for the tool kit already in place. The fixing point to the rear is clearly visible at the lower RH side (the other is behind the wheel at the front of the well), although I don't have the plastic nuts to hold it in place. The wheel fits on the front and rear hubs and I believe the wheel is the same as that in the photograph posted by Grahamn (His looks like the 4WD arrangement?). My variable boot floor is not affected when the floor is in the lower position.

I hope this is useful to any members with a 2WD struggling to source an aftermarket spare wheel kit.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Product Automotive lighting Automotive design

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
That's very useful dasalias, thank you. Mine is a 4wd Ateca but the picture was from the dealer presumably doing a mockup in their 4wd demonstrator, which didn't have a spare either.

It will be interesting to see in the flesh on Wednesday as they are suggesting a lot more money for something that doesn't look that different.

Thanks again - seeing a photo makes so much more sense. I'm sure 2wd owners will appreciate that too.

·
Registered
931 Posts
dasalias said:
In order to help clarify this on-going spare wheel saga, attached is a photograph of my 2WD with the 18" Leon spare wheel kit I obtained from Ebay.
Yip, that's the stuff SEAT parts supplied me. It was all under Ateca parts, no mention of Leon.

Sorry to go off at a tangent, but could I ask - those grey plastic trims for the double floor - looks like simple 'twist-type' black plastic bolts holding the left and right grey plastic moulds to the side panels. Is that right? Could you quite easily remove both grey plastic moulds if you wanted?

Only reason I ask is I was intending to manufacture something myself, but if it's as easy as ordering a couple of plastic trims :idea:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"Re: Spacesaver

Report this post Quote
Post by Golfmk56 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:14 am

splashdubh wrote: ↑
Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:34 pm

'
Didn't pick that up but still not clear on what you mean - sorry. Did the dealer request a spare wheel on the factory order form or did you order a base model and the items would be supplied separately via the parts dept?

If it's the latter then the delay could be caused by the dealer wanting to offsetting the additional costs on to another deal.

Out of interest, are these mudflaps and spare mentioned on any papers / contract you signed?"

The dealer quoted me a price for the car - one he had in stock.

I said I would take it, if the deal included flaps and a space saver, so I suppose it was an order through their parts department.

I have an email trail establishing all this.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
dasalias said:
In order to help clarify this on-going spare wheel saga, attached is a photograph of my 2WD with the 18" Leon spare wheel kit I obtained from Ebay.
Yip, that's the stuff SEAT parts supplied me. It was all under Ateca parts, no mention of Leon.

Sorry to go off at a tangent, but could I ask - those grey plastic trims for the double floor - looks like simple 'twist-type' black plastic bolts holding the left and right grey plastic moulds to the side panels. Is that right? Could you quite easily remove both grey plastic moulds if you wanted?

Only reason I ask is I was intending to manufacture something myself, but if it's as easy as ordering a couple of plastic trims :idea:
Hey Golfmk56, the grey support trims also have a single bolt to the rear that keeps them securely fastened so I guess you need the threaded holes to already be present. The plastic fastener at the front pushes onto a threaded post that is welded to the inside of the car plus there is also a 'n' or 'u' shaped piece of metal welded to the inside too that the trims clip to.

·
Registered
931 Posts
NeoVector said:
...grey support trims also have a single bolt to the rear that keeps them securely fastened so I guess you need the threaded holes to already be present. The plastic fastener at the front pushes onto a threaded post that is welded to the inside of the car plus there is also a 'n' or 'u' shaped piece of metal welded to the inside too that the trims clip to.
Typical German over-engineering. :lol: (or is it Spanish or Czech Rep? whatever). They've obviously never heard of velcro ;)

I'll revert back to plan A then!

Apologies for butting in to the thread, back to spacesaver again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts