Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've just picked up my new Ateca and I must say I love it!! It is a bit bland on the inside so I bought some aftermarket but approves SEAT accessories to brighten it up however, for one of the parts I need to remove the steering wheel air bag.

The instructions I have are to disconnect the battery, wait 90 seconds, remove the 2 screws from the rear and then remove the airbag.

My concerns are two fold:

1. If I disconnect the battery will this cause any problems upon reconnection?

2, Is 90 seconds enough to let the charge disipate from the airbag?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Welcome to the forum Rastanking :D What the heck is the accessories your putting in that require the airbag to be removed? :eek:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Rastanking said:
The instructions I have are to disconnect the battery, wait 90 seconds, remove the 2 screws from the rear and then remove the airbag.

My concerns are two fold:

1. If I disconnect the battery will this cause any problems upon reconnection?

2, Is 90 seconds enough to let the charge disipate from the airbag?

Any help would be appreciated.
Can't comment on VW group but that's the routine I followed when replacing steering wheel on a BMW E46. It's something I had to do twice during my time with the car, 1st time all OK, the second time and airbag warning light appeared on the dash. Took the car to BMW, they said the system just needed reset. (Job took less than a minute - they did it for free).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Would suggest 90 seconds on the instructions to discharge capacitors is playing it safe so the inexperienced garage technicians (who would normally fit the accessories) don't muck anything up by rushing it and removing the bag too soon. You will probably need to Redo any custom settings like radio presets but shouldn't bugger anything up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Would love to see photos of it when ifs done too :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
My dealer fitted mine, however I didn't appreciate it was such a big job!

I would have included a photo, however I'm still waiting for my dealer to sort out the missing key problem before I can collect my car!!

What colour are you wanting? I went for Connect Blue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got for the Samoa Orange to match the exterior of the car, I'm still waiting on 1 piece of trim to be delivered. When it's all fitted I'll post some pics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update.

I disconnected the negative terminal of the battery this evening and removed the airbag from the steering wheel with not much effort. On reconnecting the battery I had 5 errors reported on the car, Auto Stop, Hill Hold, Traction Control can't remember the other two. Once I'd started and drove the car they all dissapeared. I'll post some pics when I get time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts