Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 little stone chips on leading edge of bonnet

each tiny but back to white undercoat/primer

best course of action?

more bothered about ensuring don't get worse than cosmetically

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The galvanising and primer/undercoat should protect it until you touch it up. I have the odd chip on my Leon and they haven't got worse.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Fred

at some point I'll get a touch up pen. I did check wasn't back to metal.
I heard one of them happen, it's a wonder there isn't a dint too !

Usually stuff hits my screen. My last car I'd only driven 3 miles out the showroom when I got my first windscreen chip :(

·
Registered
280 Posts
Actually I prefer potato ones...! :D

·
Registered
918 Posts
Couple of top tips :D

Get the two part touch up pen from SEAT, and mix just a little of both the colour coat and lacquer separately in a clean bottle lid, using a toothpick (yep!) and dab a little of the mixture into the chips with the toothpick . You'll get a better finish than trying to use the brushes with each part, and the touch in should not sit so proud of the surrounding paint; even if you feel not much goes into the chip, better to do it a couple of times this way in my experience.

Before applying, clean the area around the chips with a little white spirit to remove any grease etc so the paint mix adheres properly; but not again if you're applying more than one touch in to the same chip.

Will never be perfect but it's sooo hard to apply two coat touch up any other way without it sitting proud or covering more than just the chip itself ;)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:mrgreen: Montala ~me too

MackyD ~ I always knew solid colour paint is worse at showing them than metallic so thought it would only be a matter of time. Thank you for your tips. I'll try get it sorted in the next month

Headng off shortly ~ cant decide if I want to go back roads or a1 to my airport destination as no diff in distance. If I go A1 I may be too tempted to put foot down lol

I'm going to dance some Irish jigs :lol:

·
Registered
581 Posts
another tip... if you buy the touch up pens with the inbuilt brush in the lid, don't use that brush its crap...
go to an art store or similar and get a smaller very fine brush... gives much better and more precise finish...

·
Registered
918 Posts
Ghiggz said:
another tip... if you buy the touch up pens with the inbuilt brush in the lid, don't use that brush its crap...
go to an art store or similar and get a smaller very fine brush... gives much better and more precise finish...
Agreed Ghiggz, especially for painting in scratches :D

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks ghiggz and MackyD

Take care x

·
Registered
132 Posts
Good tips mcderms and Ghiggz, didn't know you could get touch up paint from the dealers. I expect it's really cheap ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just seen small chips at the pointy edge of each front door. White (primer?) showing through. Probably from touching something while opening the doors in car parks. Seat paint clearly not as tough as one might hope. Bought a pair of black plastic door edge protectors from Ebay. Fit well and don't show much - Lava blue is quite dark.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts