Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Ateca for 2 and a bit months and just had my first long drive over the weekend a 450 mile trip from Ayr to Inverness and back I really enjoyed the drive. The Ateca is now at 2700 miles and just keeps getting quicker and the economy is picking up now 47 mpg for the trip the best so far and thats with all types of driving. I've compared trip computer mpg to measured and its almost the same our previous yeti was always 3mpg higher on the trip computer. I think the car handles great firm but comfortable and well damped coped well with some strange undulating road surfaces at speed nicely. The only things I dont like is the start stop and there is sometimes an annoying delay when accelerating away after almost coming to a stop like entering a roundabout. I now turn the start stop off straight away and use the paddle to select first where I might need to pull away smartly.
I really like the Ateca a big improvement over the Yeti 170 dsg L and K in every way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm glad to hear economy is picking up. I'm only on 1500 miles but still in the low 40's

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Shock horror, you don't like the start stop. That's why I got the obdeleven and turned if off for good, until I turn it back on again. Now it doesn't work, I'm training myself to use it since it indicates when it would have stopped the engine. If I get good with my foot work I will re-enable it. At the minute I'm loving hassle free motoring. The hassle I get is finger wavers on the subject here and mostly manual drivers as well that don't have the issue or don't live in the hectic travel of the south or aren't pensioners that forget things.... it's just poorly executed on a DSG by VW across the model range which has annoyed quite a few drivers across the brand and across the world.

I'm happy with the car apart from the nasty cheap plastic that welcomes you when you lift the boot around the lock, then after a period you go, hmm that cheap plastic goes all the way down the door panels inside and that's the stuff the reviewers moan about. If they had put some decent thick plastic on the boot lip I wouldn't have noted the pet journalist hate of the interior of the car which on the dash is fine. Side panels are the issue.

I do like the car and the electronics. It runs very well with the beast of SS tethered down on the DSG. Pitty they didn't get the parking brake on the manual to put the stop lights off correctly like the DSG, so they don't dazzle everyone when they use the automatic hold. A few perverse things going on in the car but I suspects that's across the whole VW group.

·
Registered
128 Posts
gwagen said:
..................there is sometimes an annoying delay when accelerating away after almost coming to a stop like entering a roundabout.
I also experience this delay at times with my 1.4 TSI manual (it doesn't appear to be consistent). It's strange because my previous 1.4 TSI Skoda Octavia III never did this. It is very disconcerting when nothing happens when attempting to accelerate out of roundabouts and junctions. I am wondering if it is down to the ACT engine technology, which the Skoda engine didn't have. It seems to occur in the higher gears at low revs, meaning that I have to make sure I am down to second when entering roundabouts and junctions. The Skoda would always accelerate quickly from low revs in 3rd or 4th.

Has anyone else experienced this with the 1.4 TSI? Any thoughts or theory behind it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dasalias said:
gwagen said:
..................there is sometimes an annoying delay when accelerating away after almost coming to a stop like entering a roundabout.
I also experience this delay at times with my 1.4 TSI manual (it doesn't appear to be consistent). It's strange because my previous 1.4 TSI Skoda Octavia III never did this. It is very disconcerting when nothing happens when attempting to accelerate out of roundabouts and junctions. I am wondering if it is down to the ACT engine technology, which the Skoda engine didn't have. It seems to occur in the higher gears at low revs, meaning that I have to make sure I am down to second when entering roundabouts and junctions. The Skoda would always accelerate quickly from low revs in 3rd or 4th.

Has anyone else experienced this with the 1.4 TSI? Any thoughts or theory behind it would be appreciated.
I'm sure the problem with mine is when slowing down to almost as standstill its still in second gear and it takes it a second to drop into first thats why now when I know I might need to pull away quickly I manually select first my touareg is the same.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Well Gwagen has the same big TDI engine as I and he read that to be the two second delay of starting the engine up plus a bit of spinning it up over tick over before you go if stop start has been actioned. That piece of text might even cover the rolling stopped engine that Tiguan owners get and the Ateca is capable of. So I put all down too the poor design of SS in the DSG. You can fix it in several ways.... I don't use the paddles myself let the auto do it all. I don't get the DSG lag as I did on my 6 speed Altea DSG. The DSG computer runs a bit faster these days.

So I think your issues Daslias as you say are different. I expect DSG drivers with TSI will say this is all better controlled, just got the curse of SS.

BTW I don't use ECO so that might have a bearing on the 1st or 2nd Gwagen?.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Tell said:
The hassle I get is finger wavers on the subject here and mostly manual drivers as well that don't have the issue or don't live in the hectic travel of the south or aren't pensioners that forget things.... it's just poorly executed on a DSG by VW across the model range which has annoyed quite a few drivers across the brand and across the world.
So, Tell, anyone expressing a different opinion to you = "hassle from finger wavers" ? :?:
Well, in the same way, clearly you then "hassle" others on the forum when you offer a different opinion to them.

Perhaps you shouldn't comment on manual cars, and/or people who live in the "north", and/or aren't pensioners, and/or can actually remember things !
Would seem reasonable by your own logic! :roll:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
People can make their own decision on that one. I do note now a fair few people having issues with the DSG and SS and the same finger waving from one manual driver. Need I say more. The Internet on VW cars with DSG and SS is riddled with people having issues with it and turning it off for good. Gwagen reported an issue with it. Even the defect on the new Tiguan of the engine cutting out before it stops. One report on here the Ateca does this as well. Loosing power steering whilst still moving isn't good. Tiguan owners being told by their dealers there is nothing we can do about it.

I don't pretend there isn't a problem when there is and tell it as it is. Obviously if you have a good memory you can turn the thing off before you set off each time, take your chance, forget and have a near miss or sudden braking two miles up the road at the first roundabout or just neutralise the thing.

I'm now getting asked by PMs how to neutralise it, other boards say the only reason to get VCDS is to turn stop start off. You use VCDS with your neighbour on your car to read error codes, take a risk :). Live on the wild side. You can do it all much cheaper with an Android device and Obdeleven.

Daslias was reporting an issue with the 1.4 TDI pulling away. It's already been said that the DSG may very well make better use of the engines power curve. That is why Freddie went for the DSG as I understand it. The car wasn't available to order in the UK till recently. A year on to July I would probably have gone for the 4Drive 1.4 TSI DSG if it was available in the UK, but isnt given the increased negative situation of diesel. The power to weight ratio of the 2WD 1.4 TSI DSG isn't that far off from the 4 Drive TDI 190 when I worked Freddies figures through a few months ago. Add in 4Drive and that would have done me, perhaps.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Tell said:
People can make their own decision on that one. I do note now a fair few people having issues with the DSG and SS and the same finger waving from one manual driver. Need I say more.
Well, you rarely seem to say "less", Tell, as your average post will demonstrate!
And I think you still try to deflect away from any reasonable "challenge", noting lengthy and repetitive posts are a usual response. It is clear what I'm saying, I believe, and that is, yet again, you appear to both condescendingly determine and state who is, or is not, in your opinion able to offer an opinion you consider as valid. In this case, I repeat - apparently that is not manual drivers, those living north of wherever you are (let's say north of Watford Gap??) or anyone not yet drawing their pension !

Everyone has a valid opinion on this forum, Tell! That's reasonable; as is the right to hold different opinions.

However it's good to see you're trying to train yourself now to drive with SS; maybe eventually you'll achieve that, switch it back on, and tell the other forums how it's done...... :D

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'm not trying to get in an argument here but I do have something to say

I drive a 190 dsg

Gwagen says "sometimes" an annoying delay when pulling away, and there is the discussion about restart after SS kicks in

BUT I genuinely don't get the delay people have spoken about

day 2 of having the car it caught me out exiting a roundabout, realised was to do with SS
slight alteration to how I drive and I don't get issues

I'm first away at traffic lights, I'm not a slowcoach driver, nor am I only driving on country roads

but I honesty, genuinely, don't get the issues

this isn't me finger waggling or being awkward or saying anyone else is lying

it is simply me speaking of my experience

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I agree with you Saggy. As I have said before, I have no issues at all with this "problem". Mine is the DSG 7 which might have different software/mechanicalsto the one on the 190Tdi, but it has never occurred so far.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its not a stop start issue in mine as I always turn it off, the delay / hesitancy is when almost coming to a stop and the trying to pull away quickly it can be a bit slow to respond it does accererate just not as quick as you would like my yeti used to be the same. I'm sure its just in the wrong gear still in second when it would be better in first its ok driving in sport mode as it seems to drop into first earlier.

·
Registered
334 Posts
gwagen said:
Its not a stop start issue in mine as I always turn it off, the delay / hesitancy is when almost coming to a stop and the trying to pull away quickly it can be a bit slow to respond it does accererate just not as quick as you would like my yeti used to be the same. I'm sure its just in the wrong gear still in second when it would be better in first its ok driving in sport mode as it seems to drop into first earlier.
That's why I prefer manuals. It's me screwing the gears up and not a bit of computer software :D I can only blame myself!

Does sound infuriating though, that behaviour would discourage you from gradually approaching a roundabout or junction and encourage you just to come to a complete stop every time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I put the 'sluggish' start at junctions down to the 'small' engines waiting for the turbo to kick in. My partner's 1.2 Qashqai is the same.

I could be wrong, I'm not the most technically minded.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts