Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Tilting Passenger Curb Mirror ?

13K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  Tell 
#1 ·
It's been talked about, has anybody done it ?.

I'm back to reading the German board and they are getting upset on this one. Seems Xcellence doesn't have it, Style it's there. Apparently it was shown in early order lists but dropped. There is an 18 page thread on it. The assumption seems to be that Xcellence people would get the top view camera and wouldn't need it. It's the most busy post under electrics.

Hmmm any one experimented with this. You may find it working on some models and not on others.

#3 ·
This is the post that kicked it off

Have you ever noticed that the right-hand side mirror does not decrease with this equipment variant?
Lt. BA, a check mark must be set in the menu CAR, function "Rearview mirror and windshield wiper" "Lowering downwards".
This menu item is only available for "Style".
If one the price list / equipment correctly read, this is confirmed.
I am assuming, however, that one can code later.
So I guess that menu option is selective to model.... haven't looked at mine... I'd get cold.

Reckon the more base models will have it Xcellence won't. That's what's being said.

#4 ·
My neighbour has access to VAGCOM and software, so if it's not there it could be parametered in; he's used it to do all kinds on his A6. Much of the options you pay for already have the kit in VAG cars; you're really paying for an option just to be switched on a lot of the time. Cheeky stuff :shock:

#6 ·
My dealer has said that this option can be enabled by them.

I am undecided - would be interested in others opinions...

#7 ·
wiz2003 said:

Would do it, it least because I'm a cheapskate without top view camera on my Xellence; prioritised other option above that. Either that or his nibs next door to me will have to get the VAGCOM cable & software out & do me a freebie.

Would be keen to know how much the dealer charges :D

#8 ·
That seems it's not on the Xcellence then as sort of expected from what was on the German board. We're still waiting to hear from all other models....

I checked the UK spec for June, Sept and November and it doesn't say whether it's available or not and on what models. It's covered on pages 141 and 142 of the manual which is the bugbear.

Have been known to program sat boxes and other things so might have to think about the interface one day.

#9 ·
When the Leon Mk3 came out the first few months were OK but then it was deleted because of the problems they were having with it. After about 6 months it was reinstated so hopefully the glitch has not appeared again.

#10 ·
Do you think that the motor operation is built into all of them and just not enabled on the software to do it's spin back up when you pull away ?. It was suppose to be on my old Altea but I never investigated it was enough hassle getting the left and right adjusted so I didn't bother looking.

The S and SE people have been a bit silent so may be in the UK it did get deleted off them as well. I think Magpie couldn't find it on the First Edition. The German board seems to say that it was on everything other than the Xcellence.

#12 ·
Ghiggz if it's setup to do it you should find a menu option

>>a check mark must be set in the menu CAR, function "Rearview mirror and windshield wiper" "Lowering downwards"<<

If it's not shown on the Car menu option then it's not implemented although the German thread thought that is was only Xcellences effected.

#14 ·
Thanks Saggy.

I think we are having thumbs down from Xcellence owners in the UK, First Editions want Magpie to check again to see whether it's in the menu. We're awaiting Ghiggz with his SE or anybody else.

Might just turn out like the alarm inside panel button nobody has it.

#16 ·
mcderms said:
wiz2003 said:

Would do it, it least because I'm a cheapskate without top view camera on my Xellence; prioritised other option above that. Either that or his nibs next door to me will have to get the VAGCOM cable & software out & do me a freebie.

Would be keen to know how much the dealer charges :D
I got the impression, perhaps naively, that the dealer would just do it.
I also got the impression that this is disabled at the factory when you have top view.

Please let us know if you manage to enable it..
Thanks...

#18 ·
Thanks. I think we resolved that it's not implemented on any of the UK Atecas as a screen menu option.

I don't know how the VAGCOM works and interfaces.... think there are some volunteers... There must be a reason why it was dropped out of the design.

#19 ·
I've asked the dealer to activate this before delivery and he said that on other RHD Seats the mirror control has to be left in the L position. He'll check when it comes in but might be useful to check.

#20 ·
Let us know since some of us have ordered the OBD Android device although we might have rolled our sleeves up before your delivery. Reading the German board the mirror can play up when returning so that may be why it wasn't implemented. One poster took it half way there and cranked their head as a compromise.

#21 ·
I'm currently awaiting my Ateca, which the dealer ordered for me on Wednesday so this may not apply, but thought I'd mention it.

On my Skoda Octavia the dipping mirror only got enabled by the factory if you purchased the electric seat option. I followed a post on the Skoda forum to enable it with VCDS (Vag-Com). It does operate slightly differently though if you don't have the electric seats; you have to flip the mirror switch to "L" ("R" on a LHD car) for it to dip when selecting reverse. It also doesn't quite return to the original position as apparently there is a slight difference in the mirror if you chose the electric seats, and hence why it's not enabled in the factory if you didn't. It's only slight difference, but over about 15-20 reversing manouvres you can see how much it has drifted. I don't mind as I have to reverse into my drive next to a very low wall, so the benefit outways having to adjust my mirror every couple of weeks.

Like I said, this may not apply to the Ateca, but reading this thread it certainly sounds similar to the discussions that I read when I first got the Octavia.

#22 ·
The VAG programming is slightly difference, a different bit is set if it has an electric seat. The instructions published on the German Ateca site and OBD support site are good since to my knowledge no Ateca's have been built yet with electric seats. When that changes that variation in the bit will have to be applied. I stumbled on that in the week.

Some German Ateca owners are saying that the passenger mirror doesn't always return to where it started from which is why I guess they don't implement it as standard and it's something you have to request. That's inline with your information on the Octavia . An Ozzie thread also gave away the fact that if you have the right components in the left and right mirror you can get either to tilt. So L is for the UK, that was on Golf's. It went on or off on one about the mirror motors that vary. I seen no other discussion on that.

I'll re find the instructions for the bit change for when an electric driver seat is installed but for any DIY the published Ateca codes should be good at the minute.

Edit... on this thread

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7542&page=3

Source: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post86033550
Passenger mirror dip&#8230;mirror switch has to be on the passenger setting for it to work.
52 Passenger door
07 coding
Byte 4
Enable bit 2 and 3.
DO NOT enable bit 1 unless you have Memory Seats. Enabling this will cause the mod not to work if you do not have Memory Seat or a Memory module.
No need to enable bit 7.
THEN
09 Central Electronics
Adaptations
17-Access control 2 Spiegelabsenkung bei Rueckwaertsfahrt (change to "active")
THEN
(22) Access control 2-Menuesteuerung Spiegelabsenkung (change to "active") this puts
the option in the menu screen.
So bit 1 has to be enabled for memory seats. This tallies with the post on the ODBELEVEN support site, first post, where the guy leaves bit 1 alone

http://obdeleven.proboards.com/thread/1017/mirror-dip

I referenced that on the fifth page of the ODBELEVEN thread, will edit the bit 1 in, in case memory seats ever get fitted to the Ateca

http://atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=516&start=40

#23 ·
Thanks for the update. Since I'll not have memory seats, like in my Octavia, I'll find that info useful.

On the Skoda there's definitely a couple of drawbacks to enabling it manually, but they far outway not hitting the low garden wall:

• There's definitely a drift in the return position. Not noticable until somewhere between 15-20 operations
    The mirror doesn't return to normal position unless you either turn off the ignition or move the switch back to "O". It does mean if you set the switch, reverse and then drive off but don't move it back the mirror remains tilted. The system also sometimes gets totally confused and doesn't return the mirror, but simply adjusting it as normal fixes that.

I think I'm going to spend the time between now and the car arriving trying to match up all the VCDS codes to try and implement some of the features that I've enabled on the Skoda. They're listed on my new user thread, so as to not contaminate this one.

Dae

#24 ·
It would currently be true to say for me finding the right way to get the VAG codes into the ODBEleven for mirror down is defeating me ! - just spent an hour looking at it with the car. The ODBEleven support site gives the German keywords but the device installed for me is in English so the two don't link. The ODBEleven video for a Golf doesn't tally with the Ateca screens in English so that doesn't help.

Has wiz2003 done it yet or anybody. I'll have to continue researching how to do it with the OBDEleven screens see if I can do it without breaking the car.

#25 ·
Tell said:
It would currently be true to say for me finding the right way to get the VAG codes into the ODBEleven for mirror down is defeating me ! - just spent an hour looking at it with the car. The ODBEleven support site gives the German keywords but the device installed for me is in English so the two don't link. The ODBEleven video for a Golf doesn't tally with the Ateca screens in English so that doesn't help.

Has wiz2003 done it yet or anybody. I'll have to continue researching how to do it with the OBDEleven screens see if I can do it without breaking the car.
Still waiting......
Bit miffed...
Have emailed, but initial email was just deleted..
Sent a few more emails, and basically told to wait....
I think it has gone astray - no tracking update since 27th December..
Looks like I need to wait a month before they will do anything..
Not impressed.

#26 ·
Wiz, perhaps it was nicked in the post or put through the wrong letter box. Mine was tracked all the way out to delivery with the post office but never move to delivered. So if yours isn't shown as out for delivery it never got to your local post man. I think it's a failure of the couriers rather than the company. I don't know whether mine was suppose to be signed for or just the post office's way that they deal with whatever method it was sent under. It's a tiny package so it will go threw tiny letter boxes but the address was madly smudged on it so I think they must have used the code on it to find the address rather than the printed one.

So far it's good for diagnostics. I now have a fault code of when the garage disconnected the blind spot indicator when attempting to sort out the disconnected heater wire, so up at three errors now. Think I won't clear out any of the error messages, they didn't when they had it on Friday unless I create any of my own perhaps. Only one is a mystery but it isn't reoccurring.

So for the Ateca there are the two apps which do the re programming quickly if you want to do those two things, the others are more tricky if you have to do them via "long coding". There is a half way house where the developers have implemented some thing in the Basic and Adaptations. I think the guy on Proboards did the mirror programming via Adaptations on the Ateca, just got to find that screen. I'll take a screen save of it when and if I do.

Whilst you can look at how other cars do the long coding and adaptations this dries up once the developers bring out a whole set of apps so conversation then stops on that. I think the Golf 7 is a good target to study how the VAG codes are put in but you have to go back in time before the apps were developed. Have been looking at this thread. It's probably a good source of info and any others like it.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15896&page=17

This I think is a good crib sheet for the ODBEleven it's for a Golf 7 but puts the VAG codes and operations for the device... this may have been the missing bit of info I needed :).

http://obdeleven.proboards.com/thread/167/coding-adaptations?page=1

Mirrors down

Folding Right Mirror in Rear
Select Control unit 52 (Türelektr. Beifahr.)
Control unit Long Coding
Byte 04
Bit 2-Activate
Bit 3-Activate
Select Control unit 09 (Central Electrics)
Access Code 31347
Adaptation
(15) Access Control 2-Spiegelabsenkung bei Rueckwaertsfahrt
Value=Active
(20) Access Control 2-Menuesteuerung Spiegelabsenkung
Value=Active

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.