Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from West Sussex. I'm replacing my Skoda Octavia 1.8Tsi 4x4 of 7 years with a 1.4EcoTSi SE in Rhodium grey. Extras are spare wheel and convenience pack.
My journey has included Kia Sportage, Dacia Duster, Skoda Yeti, Vauxhall Mokka and Zafira. Finally come back to the Ateca :D

Dealer is vague about delivery but I hope it comes before I start towing my caravan in June, need to get some miles on her first.

The dealer was also vague about fitting a tow bar, couldn't answer my questions on whether the 13 pin socket was fully wired or not so I'm having that retro fitted. So, I'll be coming here from advice on that and also hard wiring a dashcam.

Exciting times :D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
Welcome! We narrowed it down to the Jeep Renegade/Fiat 500X or the Ateca before test-driving, but the test-drive in the Renegade killed both of them for me. I'd ruled out anything with a terrible name, haha, and he'd vetoed the Yeti and the Duster. Hopefully when you get a build week you'll have a better idea of delivery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
Phosphoric said:
The dealer was also vague about fitting a tow bar, couldn't answer my questions on whether the 13 pin socket was fully wired or not so I'm having that retro fitted.
Are you aware that you could have had the towbar fitted in your configuration of the car?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Leon, I had seen that vido and I had asked the dealer to price up the towbar installation with the new build. However, when I question him about the detail, swan neck, fully wired 13 pin socket etc, he started backpedaling as he couldn't give me the assurance I required. We have settled on me arranging a towbar specialist to fit it at the dealership before I pick it up. Probably work out cheaper but I have to find a reliable company first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Tell,
had a look at that pdf and it looks a piece of cake........ :shock:
I could handle most of that but the recoding is completely beyond me, over to the expert tow bar fitters :D
I might give them a copy of that pdf and also the information for getting access to the fuse box, might save me some broken bits. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Phosphoric said:
Hello from West Sussex. I'm replacing my Skoda Octavia 1.8Tsi 4x4 of 7 years with a 1.4EcoTSi SE in Rhodium grey. Extras are spare wheel and convenience pack.
My journey has included Kia Sportage, Dacia Duster, Skoda Yeti, Vauxhall Mokka and Zafira. Finally come back to the Ateca :D

Dealer is vague about delivery but I hope it comes before I start towing my caravan in June, need to get some miles on her first.

The dealer was also vague about fitting a tow bar, couldn't answer my questions on whether the 13 pin socket was fully wired or not so I'm having that retro fitted. So, I'll be coming here from advice on that and also hard wiring a dashcam.

Exciting times :D :D :D
Welcome! What dealer did you go to...I am also from West Sussex and used euro skoda.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Steveteca,
my dealer is Brighton Seat (Renault dealer) Carden Avenue in Brighton. I don't know euro skoda, I bought my current Skoda from West Sussex Motors in Goring, 7 years ago. Wouldn't go back with my experience of them though.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Whiz2003 BTW hasn't been seen for a couple of weeks Phosphoric since I'm waiting to hear whether he got his ODBEleven. I saw your post to him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, thanks Tell. Would have been nice to get confirmation on tow bar details and get my order changed.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
He might turn up. I'd phone customer services in the meantime and get them to give you the information. It's going to be the same as the new Tiguan or the old Yeti or the old Tiguan. I spent along time caravaning with the parents :). That cable in the PDF will be the Seat authorised one for post fitting I guess so it will do whatever that one does.

The demo car my dealer had in at launch had the tow bar. It's retractable. You push a button in the boot and it pops out under the car. Kick it back in again to lock. The virtual pedal doesn't work when out, we established that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looking at Whizz2003's photos I can see that the towbar is detachable and suitable for an Alko hitch. The pdf from tell certainly shows two live supplies and some sort of relay block some I pretty sure that is correct for full power supplies to the caravan..
Went back to the dealer and asked if they could add it to the order, "yes but it could add 10 weeks the build". I wonder if the dealer really wants me to have this towbar :lol:
Looked at a couple of independent tow bar fitters and they say that the car will need re-coding at the dealers to enable all the safety features.
So that's it, changed the order to include tow bar :D
Sits back and waits, got a kitchen to decorate anyway :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Phosphoric said:
Looking at Whizz2003's photos I can see that the towbar is detachable and suitable for an Alko hitch. The pdf from tell certainly shows two live supplies and some sort of relay block some I pretty sure that is correct for full power supplies to the caravan..
Went back to the dealer and asked if they could add it to the order, "yes but it could add 10 weeks the build". I wonder if the dealer really wants me to have this towbar :lol:
Looked at a couple of independent tow bar fitters and they say that the car will need re-coding at the dealers to enable all the safety features.
So that's it, changed the order to include tow bar :D
Sits back and waits, got a kitchen to decorate anyway :D
The towbar operates electrically - there is a button in the boot.
When the car detects that something is connected electrically to the 13 pin plug many things happen depending on your options.
These include, the alarm, the rear sensors, the blindspot sensors etc....
Just got to remember to turn them on when no longer towing...
My caravan weighs 1600kg and has the al-ko towing hitch..
Tows beautifully..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
That seems to be resolved that. Hmmm when I was caravaning as a kid we only had a black cable that did the lights at the back. I think at one stage it might have used a domestic 2 pin plug or that was the trailer. The tyres often blew out and the axle of the caravan would break. It did that in Wick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the confirmation wiz2003, I thought that perhaps the electrically operated tow bar was an extra option. That's a pretty heavy caravan you have there, I have an Eriba which is less than 1000 kgs on the road so should have no problem at all.

The bad old days of caravanning Tell, relatively simple then but a bit unreliable. I used to have a caravan with all the bells and whistles and needed electric hookup to drive them all. Now I have a much simpler, but higher quality, Eriba. I have all I need on board and run it from the leisure battery topped up with a solar panel. :)
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top