Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all, had my 1.4 a couple of weeks now and enjoying the honeymoon period although nowhere near upto speed with all the gizmos on a new model excellence!
Asked dealer about cost of fitting a tow bar ... £1100+ !! Internet prices are much lower but ?? Do I have to fit Seat part if I am on PCP? I know I can ask Seat but forum members appear so knowledgeable!
Crazy but having seen no Atecas for months I've seen at least 4 in the 2 weeks of driving mine!
Still nice and rare though!

·
Registered
132 Posts
You will need to to be absolutely sure that the car is recoded properly, especially if towing a caravan. There are real problems with the smart alternator and the stop/start system on modern cars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fitted a nice detachable tow bar on mine. Cost £400, no reprogramming, everything works fine! When towing, just do as the manual says and switch off the stop start system.

·
Registered
166 Posts
That's expensive I just ordered one with the factory fit electric tow bar which was £680, £1100 is a bit excessive

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was interested in fitting a cheap one. I don't want to tow anything, just wanted the keep some of the mad drivers from reversing into my rear bumper...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mines literally just for a 4 bike bike rack, but it does drop down so it's not in permanent view

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
The fancy one turns blind spot off, virtual pedal, rear cross and things like that, I don't have it but the factory one brings power to the rear and turns off incompatible systems which are optional in anycase.

·
Registered
17 Posts
edb said:
please advise on where you got detachable tow bar fitted....
Got mine fitted at Indespension Ltd. I believe that they are a nationwide outfit and if I recall correctly, I think prices started from around £250.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can anybody shed some light on the towbar preparation option?
I would like to retrofit a detachable swan-neck purely for use with a bike carrier. If I find that this obscures the lights and I need to wire up lighting then I really want to know what is involved and what has been ready provided.
The owner's manual seems to imply that a 13way trailer socket already exists (ready to go). Is this part of the towbar preparation option or just referring to a build where the full electric towbar option was ordered?
If it is part of the free preparation option, then can I just plug in a bike carrier with lighting board and 13 pin plug or does it require any programming or a bypass relay etc?

Anybody out there got any good knowledge or experience of this?

Note: Ateca Excellence ordered awaiting delivery hence can't go out and look under my one :)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Think you might have to pay for the preparation I found an approved company with a PDF that showed the power source being taken out via the engine compartment so there isn't suppose to be any wiring at the back in the standard configuration. The suite of Erwin material may throw some light on it - see that thread. That does have the pin out as does the zzNovembrr version of the manual.

See my post on here with the diagram then you should able to get the PDF if it hasn't been pulled which shows a kit for cabling up.

http://www.atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=555

That's really for people who bought the car without.

Erwin

Font Screenshot Document Rectangle Number

Trying not to break copyright that page gives you towing weight by car, gradient. The rest of the material is a veritable source of information.

Erwin you fork out £7-50 and download extensive garage manuals see

http://www.atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=856

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks Tell for taking time to post those details. I'll have a good read.
I don't want the car modified or pulled about to get wiring in for the tow bar and I'm not ready to pay out £680 for factory install just to carry a bike occasionally. It still leaves me totally mystified about the nature of the free, standard tow bar preparation option!

·
Registered
73 Posts
PaulR said:
Thanks Tell for taking time to post those details. I'll have a good read.
I don't want the car modified or pulled about to get wiring in for the tow bar and I'm not ready to pay out £680 for factory install just to carry a bike occasionally. It still leaves me totally mystified about the nature of the free, standard tow bar preparation option!
Hi,

Appreciate that this thread is tad old.

Did you ever get the electrics sorted for attaching a light board to the bike rack? I find myself in a similar position with little information out there..

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts