Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. New to the forum as just about to hit the order button on an Ateca as a company car having previously had a '99 Ibiza Cupra and a 2012 Leon FR Supercopa. Now age is catching up on me and I want comfort and a bit more luxury but still have a soft spot for SEATs so picked the Ateca.

My question is: on the order form there is an extra called "Towbar Preparation" which I have ticked. What does this mean? Will the car come pre-wired from the factory so I can retrofit a basic removable towbar myself and just plug wiring into the pre-installed module?

Selecting the actual towbar option takes me over the company car price limit and I don't want to get rid of my panoramic s/r or my 19" wheels if I can fit a towbar at a later date myself (I know it won't be electronic folding like the factory one it but I don't mind this).

Hope someone can help.

Gordon

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi duncagr, welcome from one who only joined a few days ago!

Trying to get towbar information is difficult, most staff at the dealership haven't got a clue.
My previous experience with the VAG group (Skoda) was that tow bar prep only gave you the basic trailer functions like lights and indicators but not fully wired if you want caravan battery charging and fridge operation. If that's all you want you should be fine.

What's the difference in cost? Full towbar installation is £680 so you might get a clue what you are going to get by price comparison.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I did download the New Tiguan manual when we were looking at how to get at the Ateca fuse box. There are about 10 pages in that, that cover the wiring, use, voltage, LEDS etc. Problem is I never recorded the web site I got it from and I never posted it up either. It had been taken off a website since VW manuals are carefully guarded. You need a number plate of a New Tiguan to get you own or find that website. I suspect it's the best technical documentation of the Ateca tow bar and socket.

I don't know whether Wiz got any extra documentation.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Tell said:
I did download the New Tiguan manual when we were looking at how to get at the Ateca fuse box. There are about 10 pages in that, that cover the wiring, use, voltage, LEDS etc. Problem is I never recorded the web site I got it from and I never posted it up either. It had been taken off a website since VW manuals are carefully guarded. You need a number plate of a New Tiguan to get you own or find that website. I suspect it's the best technical documentation of the Ateca tow bar and socket.

I don't know whether Wiz got any extra documentation.
Documentation for the towbar is scant!
It is fully featured - in that it powered my AL-KO ATC as soon as I plugged it in...
VERY neat job...
Just thought, pin 9 is used by ATC, pin 10 by fridge.. Did not check fridge when I took the caravan for its service.... Will check as soon as i can...

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
These are the Tiguan pin out pages... perhaps I'll have a big look that than manual again

Font Circle Parallel Number Rectangle

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brilliant guys, thanks so much for the info posted.

The price on the order system for "Towbar Preparation" is £0. Full electric folding towbar is around £700.

I'm going to take a punt on ordering it with towbar prep only and retrofitting my own removable towbar later if the electrics are a simple plug in. If not, I'll just leave it alone as don't want to be routing cables etc in a company car - plus have a Defender 90 with full electrics anyway just would have been nice to take the Ateca with smaller loads and maybe our little caravan!!!

I'll maybe dig this post out when my car finally arrives and let folk know what it came with in terms of electric prep.

Thanks again.

Gordon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.