Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Can anybody suggest the correct rear tyre pressures when towing a lightweight caravan (960kgs gross weight) with a 1.4SE DSG and 17" tyres. In my previous car, a Skoda Octavia 1.8tsi, I increased the rear tyres by 4 lbs/sq inch and left the fronts as normal. I was thinking of using normal tyre pressures for a full load of passengers (not comfort pressures) as the noseweight of my caravan is approx. 75kgs. Any advice/comments would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
979 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
I also currently have a Skoda 1.8 tsi for towing an Eriba Triton. probably less than 1000kg but the important bit is the load on the towball.
I try for a 70kg load and for that I pump the Skoda's tyres up to that recommended for max load , about 45 psi if I recall correctly.

When I finally get my 1.4 petrol SE towcar with factory fit towbar, I will set the tyre pressures recommended again for maximum load. Apparently there is an information plate near the passenger door with the details.

The Ateca has a slightly shorter overhang from the tow ball to the back axle than the Skoda and thus the maximum weight on the towball is increased to 80kg. I will probably stick with a 70kg load though. Tyre pressure will be as recommended for 4 passengers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Kindness71 and Phosphoric for your replies. My Octavia rears only had 36 psi in because my old van had a light nose weight. The spec I have is the same as yours Phosphoric and I think I might go for the maximum passengers setting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi I've just finished my first towing trip with the caravan and put the rear tyre pressures up a couple of psi from the normal settings for 2 people.
The Ateca a 2.0tdi dsg towed with no problems at all towing at 1100kg caravan it did 30 mpg over a mix of motorway and A roads was very stable in the high winds on way home today. I previously towed with my V8 petrol Touareg so its a big improvement the 17 mpg it did.
Seat Ateca first time towing the caravan by david, on Flickr

·
Registered
290 Posts
What type / size caravan will a 1.4 petrol se tow?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi missy, the 6 speed manual 1.4SE can officially handle 1800kgs up a slope of 12% (about 1in 8). I wouldn't recommend this as it will make the outfit combination way over the top weight wise. The generally accepted maximum towing weight is 85% of the weight of the car which for the 1.4SE is 1,155kgs with a fully loaded caravan. This would be my recommendation for a safe combination. Re the type of caravan there are so many choices available that it makes it difficult to recommend a particular type/manufacturer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello gwagen. Thanks for your reply.Your outfit looks well matched and seems to ride fairly level, good omens for a good towcar.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Think we are back to the weight of Missy's partners horse and horse box we never resolved. In the final analysis the horse will just have to walk ;). I was hoping some caravaners would turn up in that conversation.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
gwagen said:
Hi I've just finished my first towing trip with the caravan and put the rear tyre pressures up a couple of psi from the normal settings for 2 people.
The Ateca a 2.0tdi dsg towed with no problems at all towing at 1100kg caravan it did 30 mpg over a mix of motorway and A roads was very stable in the high winds on way home today. I previously towed with my V8 petrol Touareg so its a big improvement the 17 mpg it did.
Seat Ateca first time towing the caravan by david, on Flickr
Looks splendid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts