Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just joined the forum.
Have a 1.4 Eco Tsi Xcellence on order arriving middle of May ( manual in Passion Red)

Went for the level of trim as when purchasing my other Seat, a Leon Hatch 5door 1.6 Tdi SE Tech in Alor blue with upgrade 17inch alloys and convenience pack was told it would fetch on part exchange a premium of up to £100 over a standard SE.
Not so, in fact because any offers were so low I've decide to keep it as our second car.
So ordering the Xcellence plus a space saver spare made sense rather than upgrades on a lower spec model.
Can't wait to get it. Ordered it through AutoeBid with a 10% discount on main dealer price.

·
Registered
931 Posts
If you'd asked me I'd have said your first guess of £100 was nearer the mark.

I've lost count over the years on the number of people who buy in to the idea the specific options and trim levels will maximize resale values. With the very odd exception, it's all nonsense.

At least now we can easily see for ourselves what really happens. Car buying sites such as WeBuyAnyCar are run by the auctions and for anyone who's ever sold a car on these sites... you're asked about mileage, condition, year, trim level, colour etc - you're never asked about how many miles are left on the tyres or if your car has any particular option fitted. And the difference between ordinary and special edition models are next to nothing. As far as an auctioneer is concerned, SE Tech adds Sat nav (the probablilty being it's an out-of-date Sat nav and will cost £££'s for a map update) when it comes time to sell. The 2nd hand market doesn't care about a few chrome parts or LED lighting or whatever.

It's one of the reasons I stay away from marmite colours - the used market doesn't like them. It's the same with trim options. Joe Bloggs might think it was worth spending £3000 upgrading to his colour co-ordinated orange 20" wheels and orange interior trim with chrome door mirror housing caps and a gear knob - the reality is the market hates it, in fact you might well be offered LESS than you would a std car.

I once bought a 325 coupe which people in the induxtry told me I had made a grave mistake for not choosing leather, which back then was a £1500 option. When I sold the car I asked the dealer what would you have offered my if the car had leather - he said about £200 more!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
as someone who has added trims and even interior trim extras I know not to expect anything back on the money spent when I come to trade in...... but it makes me happy now, and now is what I'm bothered about :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sort of agree with both of you. I've paid several hundred pounds for a suede steering wheel before as the standard perforated leather one reminded me of school sandals. Thankfully the car sold for a premium when I got a company car.

I think trim levels set an index price, so at least allow for easier comparison and understanding at resale . However I deeply regret heeding the salesman's advice not to add options to a base level car but get most on the next level up. His argument that I'd see improved value at resale almost compensated for the fact that I'd have to live with chrome for a few years - except it's probably the worst depreciating car I've owned and was tarnished by a less-than-perfect exterior which I regretted at each gaze.

It takes a very special kind of car to not care about how it looks.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Saggy said:
as someone who has added trims and even interior trim extras I know not to expect anything back on the money spent when I come to trade in...... but it makes me happy now, and now is what I'm bothered about :)
I'm with you on this Saggy :) I buy my car and add-ons for how I want it to look, I don't even think of the resell value. Why would you want to think about already getting rid off a car you love before you even get it. No sense to me :D

·
Registered
931 Posts
Kindness71 said:
Saggy said:
I'm with you on this Saggy :) I buy my car and add-ons for how I want it to look, I don't even think of the resell value. Why would you want to think about already getting rid off a car you love before you even get it. No sense to me :D
Everyone is different. It makes me happy knowing that I actually own my car, unlike both of you who, correct me if I'm wrong, drive cars owned by a finance company. :lol:

In one way or another, residuals matter to everyone!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
Everyone is different. It makes me happy knowing that I actually own my car, unlike both of you who, correct me if I'm wrong, drive cars owned by a finance company. :lol:
you say that as if it is something we should be ashamed of Golf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts